Gizmom and the Boss great adventure

Help Support CattleToday:

All of their cattle I've seen are black or Char.Have never visited their herd but would like too. Their cattle are very efficient and functional for their area. And from what I've seen are very structurally correct. Also know there is a Bradley ranch in the Dimmitt area and they run a lot of cattle. I just looked at their site and they have removed some of the sires that had been there. They are SW of Leedey a ways but a big difference in type of country.
Look forward to more updates from Gizmom.

The boss and I visited Coleman Angus on Tuesday then drove to Billings on Wednesday. We spent the day today going to various AI studs we started the day at World West two of my favorite bulls at this stop were Coleman Doc 2261 and Connealy Black Granite 133 both really nice bulls.

I confess one of the reasons I like this bull is he reminds me so much of our Coleman EXT 6149 bull. Deep wide and Soggy and easy to get along with just calm as can be.

My second pick at this stop was Connealy Black Granite 133 very nice bull.

They also had two Coleman bulls

Coleman Charlo 3212 and his full brother Coleman Marshall 6313 both are really nice bulls.

We left World West and went over to Genex of the bulls on site a few that really stood out to me were:
SAV Reign 6845 was my favorite at this stop just as complete as you can make one. I didn't take pictures the bulls were up under the fans in the building and I just couldn't get good photos.
My second pick would be Buford Pathfinder C304 really nice
Others that I marked as really nice in no particular order were:
Mar Innovation 251
SAV Guideline 5203
Coleman Playmaker 427
GAR Scale House
SAV Abundance 6117 I liked him a lot
Schiefelbein Allied 514
Prairie Pride Premium 407
I was watching attitude closely especially on the Charlo's the Reign bull was a quiet as you could want one to be. I really liked the Plattemere Weigh Up K360 sons that I saw, a little bigger frame than I normally use but very nice bulls.

From Genex we moved on to Origen again I gave up on photos, you are not allowed in the pens with the bulls and trying to get decent photos from outside is a lesson in frustration. At this location I will list some of my favorites: Of the young bulls we looked at (the up and coming) my favorite bull was SAV Authentic 6293 he was very complete. The flush brother to Reign was also at Origen and he is very nice but IMO not as good as Reign. We looked at a lot of bulls at this location so I will just list the ones I noted as really nice.
Spring Cove Paygrade 5064
SAV Rainmaster 6849 (flush brother to Reign)
HA Cowboy UP 5405 - to be honest he was better than I expected, short but really deep and thick, but had a bit of attitude.
Buford Blue Stem 9974
3F Epic 4631
VAR Heritage 5038
CCR Boulder 1339A
Basin Payweight 1682 (very good)
Connealy Consensus 7229 (really good)
Sitz Stellar 726D
McD 406 UNO 603
Stevenson Weigh Up 60374
EXAR Stud 4658B
Musgrave Aviator 542

Like I said we looked at a lot of bulls, There were a lot of really nice bulls but they also had a lot of bulls that had feet that I sure didn't want in my herd. We were looking really hard at feet and also at attitude. The ones on the above list had good feet and good attitudes, or they wouldn't be on the list. Everyone has different opinions on bulls we all look at them differently depending what is important to us and our program. But I will tell anyone that will listen that you need to start looking from the feet up because if you don't no matter how much you like a bull or a program without a good foundation they are not going to be profitable.

gizmom

Gizmom thanks for the post. I agree with you 100% about the feet and legs. I analyzing livestock from the geound up. I feel I prefer a little more frame size than you so I might really luje tge K30 progeny. Will have to look them up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oFO0Oyw-7w0

We visited Strommen Ranch today, it was great meeting Aaron. The boss and I were impressed with him and his cattle. We saw Bruin Torque today and he is the best Density son I have ever seen. His cattle are deep easy fleshing females that get the job done on forage. His Paxton Resource calves are just darn good. A great day talking and looking at cattle, this girl is loving life!

Gizmom

There is another thread asking if you can make it in the cattle business. I think Aaron and his family is the perfect example that yes you can. It isn't easy it takes hard work and dedication, you sure can't be a snowflake and expect to survive in the cattle business. But the lifestyle is worth the sacrifices. I highly recommend a stop at Strommen if your in ND.

Gizmom

I've liked the SAV bred cattle I've seen but there isn't too many of them in this area yet. Not sure why. It seems most every breeder around here must order semen from the same source and when they head north to buy bulls they often buy from other sources. And some of them are real good cattle also. I just like the soundness, depth and muscling I've seen on their cattle.

I will post just a few photos that we took today. I admit most of the I can't tell you much other than nice cow, I just about got tired of saying wow I really like her! That is a pretty darn good problem to have. the

IMG_8493_zpstr4a7fog.jpg
[/url]

Boss looking at I think President

Some folks get real excited about meeting artist my Rock Star is a good bull! I met my Rock Star today got to tell him thanks for all those really nice babies I have running around at Gizmo, and also thank him for the ones that will be arriving in the next 6 weeks! I do believe I made the old man blush

Not every day you get to give your hero a back rub! This is SAV Reource 1441

This ole girl was in happy cow land!

He is a stud!

gizmom

Gizmon, what is the arrangement with visiting these farms? Do you join a group tour or just ring up and make an appointment. They must get very busy showing people around. I know many people from Australia visit and have their photo taken at the SAV sign at the gate.

I don't think I could handle it, my brain would get so confused with all the bulls to look at.

Ken

When we planned this trip we called each of the ranches we visited to schedule a tour. We know how busy we get at the farm so wanted to be sure we scheduled and didn't just pop in. The AI studs we did the same thing. Bottom line showing cattle to potential customers is just good business. Bob told us yesterday that this time of year he was giving tours 5 to 6 days a week. My brain was fried last night I had so many numbers running through my head. This was the last of our planned farm visits, it has been awesome.

Gizmom

Again thanks for the info and pics. Really like the bulls. The kind that are hard to find around here. Great cow country also.

:clap: just watched video on strromen ranch you posted. Awesome video from a awesome family! He really summed it up at the end, by saying that our kids are the best products we will ever produce. That really puts everything into prospective. Life gets busy and we get caught up in it, but we just need to remember our kids/family are the most important thing in our lives. Job well done on the video! !

The past few weeks have been busy. As of July 1, I retired from my off the farm job! I have to admit it is a strange feeling to wake up and not have a job to go to. The boss and I have been looking forward to the day for quite awhile. Now we can go and do some of the things stuff we talked about doing when we had the time to do them. We pulled out this morning for the first day of the great adventure. We will be visiting several cattle operations over the course of the next 5 weeks. Be prepared for a barrage of photos as we make our way out west! A prayer for travel mercy would also be appreciated.

Gizmom

Latest posts