Great Advice for Cow-Calf Producers

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms":3bbx7t89 said:
ZOE":3bbx7t89 said:
Jake,
We don't cull cows unless they don't eat out of our feed bucket. I have several cows that haven't raised more that 2 calves in 5 years. They are our pets. Shame on you for killing cows that don't make you $1 in a year. Cows are put here for our enjoyment. Our daughter loves "Persimmon" her bucket calf, we've been laughed out of the county fair, but she's learning and so are we. Please give us "newbies" a chance, we love the outdoors just as much as you. Thanks for the + responses.

Not to step on your toes Zoe, But this thread is about gettin shed of what is costing a man money that's not making the grade.It's not about pet Cattle.Cull cattle are not all destined to be "killed" as you stated, some may be bought and used in another herd.Ever heard the Phrase "one man's trash, another man's treasure"This board deals with sometimes what might be called harsh realities to folks like yall', we're glad that you're here, but if the heat gets too hot, step out of the kitchen.Cattle and all other animals were put here for Food, but if you get pleasure of having them for pets, go for it, a bunch of us here have em' to pay bills with, in other words to make a living or a supplement to our day jobs. ;-)

Where is the original post by Zoe? Don't see it. Or did Zoe realize that she was on the wrong boards and delete it?

Craig-TX

i have what i call permanent cows, which i keep long term and then another set that i buy thin or short bred or open and get them fat and springing or freshen them out and sell them. The group that most years will make the most money with the least amount of care and effort are the open cows that people cull in the fall. They are generally suckled down because they raised a big calf and i buy them at slaughter prices, which when they are suckled down are cheap. There is a small investment----you people who cull those cows know exactly what my investment is, but i dont buy the fat ones. I then put a good bull with them and they breed back quickly since they dont have a calf on them. I can buy those cows in august-october when it is hot and dry and slaughter cows are cheap. Then, in may-june they will be big, fine, beautiful springers and they bring a real good profit. Most years you can pick up these open cows for 350-500 and sell them for 700-900. last fall they cost more but they are bringing alot more this spring. So, in the cattle business, there are alot of ways to make money if you pick and choose. It is much cheaper and easier to make 400-500 on a dry open cow than a cow suckling a calf--you dont have to feed them as well and you dont have to worry about calving and you dont have to worry about the health of a calf. this isnt foolproof---it isnt perfect every year and you base whether you buy on the fall price. if it is too high---go another route----the market and feed situation will dictate what will make the money each year

Craig-TX":22k7lw6n said:
Crowderfarms":22k7lw6n said:
ZOE":22k7lw6n said:
Jake,
We don't cull cows unless they don't eat out of our feed bucket. I have several cows that haven't raised more that 2 calves in 5 years. They are our pets. Shame on you for killing cows that don't make you $1 in a year. Cows are put here for our enjoyment. Our daughter loves "Persimmon" her bucket calf, we've been laughed out of the county fair, but she's learning and so are we. Please give us "newbies" a chance, we love the outdoors just as much as you. Thanks for the + responses.

Not to step on your toes Zoe, But this thread is about gettin shed of what is costing a man money that's not making the grade.It's not about pet Cattle.Cull cattle are not all destined to be "killed" as you stated, some may be bought and used in another herd.Ever heard the Phrase "one man's trash, another man's treasure"This board deals with sometimes what might be called harsh realities to folks like yall', we're glad that you're here, but if the heat gets too hot, step out of the kitchen.Cattle and all other animals were put here for Food, but if you get pleasure of having them for pets, go for it, a bunch of us here have em' to pay bills with, in other words to make a living or a supplement to our day jobs. ;-)

Where is the original post by Zoe? Don't see it. Or did Zoe realize that she was on the wrong boards and delete it?

Craig-TX

Another one of those "one post wonders" he's back on a Pet Cow board somewhere.

Crowderfarms":1yfavhi8 said:
Craig-TX":1yfavhi8 said:
Crowderfarms":1yfavhi8 said:
ZOE":1yfavhi8 said:
Jake,

Craig-TX

well I'm not really worried about it because quite frankly I'm not in the business to lose money... A cow has to pay for herself, and buying replacements just doesn't do that... also keeping worthless cattle doesn't either...

Stocky,

Great post makes good since, alot in life doesnt, but what you say sounds like it would work. Great post, lots of info there on how to make the cattle business pay a little.

MD

Jake":ku0fuqa9 said:
Crowderfarms":ku0fuqa9 said:
Craig-TX":ku0fuqa9 said:
Crowderfarms":ku0fuqa9 said:
ZOE":ku0fuqa9 said:
Jake,

Craig-TX

well I'm not really worried about it because quite frankly I'm not in the business to lose money... A cow has to pay for herself, and buying replacements just doesn't do that... also keeping worthless cattle doesn't either...

You tell em Jake thats the biggest bunch of happy horseschit I have read, the pet owner wouldn't want to meet me. Heck if I couldn't sell a nonproductive cow I would shoot the waste of good oxygen.

Jake":18asra9v said:
Crowderfarms":18asra9v said:
Craig-TX":18asra9v said:
Crowderfarms":18asra9v said:
ZOE":18asra9v said:
Jake,

Craig-TX

=======
Jake,

a thought for you to analyze.

When we loose a calf..or breeding...in our production herd..we will get the cow ready for the market.......and buy one 5-7 mos. preg....this cuts our time loss by 1/2 to 2/3rds.

We have had cows with a calf loss ...dictating sale.... where we have sold her and have a 6-7 month pregnant one back in 1 mo.....in 2-3 months we have a replacemnt calf to the one lost..with a small additional investment....in as little as 3 months. If the cow with the loss is worth keeping...fine...but she must be good enough....history...age...calving... to pay for 2 years of feed and care...otherwise....to micckeedees.

preston39":3bo7ga55 said:
Jake":3bo7ga55 said:
Crowderfarms":3bo7ga55 said:
Craig-TX":3bo7ga55 said:
Crowderfarms":3bo7ga55 said:
ZOE":3bo7ga55 said:
Jake,

Craig-TX

=======
Jake,

a thought for you to analyze.

When we loose a calf..or breeding...in our production herd..we will get the cow ready for the market.......and buy one 5-7 mos. preg....this cuts our time loss by 1/2 to 2/3rds.

We have had cows with a calf loss ...dictating sale.... where we have sold her and have a 6-7 month pregnant one back in 1 mo.....in 2-3 months we have a replacemnt calf to the one lost..with a small additional investment....in as little as 3 months. If the cow with the loss is worth keeping...fine...but she must be good enough....history...age...calving... to pay for 2 years of feed and care...otherwise....to micckeedees.

I would easily say that the generations of genetics we've built up and bred for are worth the time expense and like I said before it takes too long for a boughten bred or pair to pay back when the other cow has most likely paid for herself and if she hasn't will do so at least 1-2 years sooner...

Jake - that is exactly what I was trying to say earlier!

And I stand firm on my position - There is an exception to every rule, just don't let the exceptions rule.

Farmhand":25bdiq35 said:

And I stand firm on my position - There is an exception to every rule, just don't let the exceptions rule.

I don't see the time thing as an excuse... in our case we've spend 20+ years working at our cowherd... why throw that away on an unpredictable cow... to me all that genetic work is worth more than a year of a dry cow... now a cow that repeatedly does it needs to go, but once in a lifetime isn't too horrible...

Jake":15m0q5om said:
Farmhand":15m0q5om said:

I don't see the time thing as an excuse... in our case we've spend 20+ years working at our cowherd... why throw that away on an unpredictable cow... to me all that genetic work is worth more than a year of a dry cow... now a cow that repeatedly does it needs to go, but once in a lifetime isn't too horrible...
===========
jake,

I don't disagree with you...but,notice my post. As stated I was referring to the production herd...and I should have said...non genetic production group...not the registered ones...whole different ballgame.

preston39":3iqn2u2z said:
Jake":3iqn2u2z said:
Farmhand":3iqn2u2z said:

===========
jake,

I don't disagree with you...but,notice my post. As stated I was referring to the production herd...and I should have said...non genetic production group...not the registered ones...whole different ballgame.
Preston 39 Jake makes a lot of sense to me...but you do whatever you want...I have made money like stocky talks about when stocker calves are to high to winter. Buy somebodys (yours??) open cows in the fall...breed them and sell them in the spring (somebody just like you but that calves a little later buys them) and then I make money...who pays me for doing that Preston 39?? Could it be the seller and then the buyer putting money in my pocket??? Thank you...thank you...thank...you

Not sure I can always follow your fancy eastern dialect anyhow. We dont talk big to impress folks where I come from. Maybe you can educate us dumb old cowboys...what is a "non genetic production group"??? Do you have some kind of fancy new cows that dont have any genetics at all???

tapeworm":19afk5em said:
preston39":19afk5em said:
Jake":19afk5em said:
Farmhand":19afk5em said:

===========

jake,

=============

Preston 39 Jake makes a lot of sense to me...but you do whatever you want...I have made money like stocky talks about when stocker calves are to high to winter. Buy somebodys (yours??) open cows in the fall...breed them and sell them in the spring (somebody just like you but that calves a little later buys them) and then I make money...who pays me for doing that Preston 39?? Could it be the seller and then the buyer putting money in my pocket??? Thank you...thank you...thank...you

Not sure I can always follow your fancy eastern dialect anyhow. We dont talk big to impress folks where I come from. Maybe you can educate us dumb old cowboys...what is a "non genetic production group"??? Do you have some kind of fancy new cows that dont have any genetics at all???
=============
tapeworm,

Eastern.? Kentucky?....where in the H#@$...are you placed...Hiwaii?....geesch!

I love your approach.....if you don't like the message....attack the messenger.

I can assure you I am not intimidated. Nor am I offended...and I speak in this sense for the great state of Kentucky. I happen to reason that all regions of the world have +,s and -,s. and to insure it is not taken out of context....that includes your area. Wherever that may be.

Further, while all accolades are appreciated, my post doesn't lend itself/or accomodate a basis for your reasoning of thanks. Perhaps some other post does.

I must give you one credit..... beause of a typo...(some are lucky..even if they don't earn it)...it should have read...."non specific genetic group"...to have been more proper....display of which I am taken to task by your comments. Go tell!!! Any significant experience with cows would have revealed the intent there...unless of course finding fault was the objective.

With your post it is unlikely that you impressed many.

I do usually try to understand a clear communicae before response so I will not have to be reminded of what the first 3 letters of ...."assume"...spells. Obviously, others have a different approach. Thus, the need for this post.

You are invited to re-read my origional and follow up post. Your comments don't fit....and strongly suggests my posts were not read correctly or understood. The jury, of which. is still out.

Finally, I do not require anyone to read or respond to my post...that includes you. What limitation do you possess that limits your discretionary discernment?.

When you find out please apply it so you will not be inclined to, in the future, cast dispargements (..."us dumb old cowboys"....) upon the cowboy group...of which I happen to be a part. Then, also, perhaps you will not use a 3rd party reference when you are speaking of a singular...you. Some may be offended and that does include me!!!

Quite a thread this one...lots of opinons,heres a different situation in a different country
Question how much does it cost the average American joe to carry that cow over without a calf?My yearly cash costs run $390 a cow and thats cheap compared to some other northern boys.Just a couple thoughts below

#1.Lets say we have a cow loses her calf..she may rebred real quick or she may not, if that same cow does not calf till next yr.. That calf has already cost me $780.00 .

.In my situation I can buy pairs for $700 and the calf is on the ground-

less $100.00 min in cull cow(more likely to be $200.00) revenue.

Thats makes it $600 for the pair..calf should be worth 450.00 in the fall.

#2 Now some would put an orphan calf on the cow.So lets take $390.00
And add $ 250.00 for a calf( if i can find one) thats makes it $640.00 .

And as farmhand said there are exceptions..Such as poor management,fertility , bull problems.

frenchie":2g4difr6 said:
Quite a thread this one...lots of opinons,heres a different situation in a different country
Question how much does it cost the average American joe to carry that cow over without a calf?My yearly cash costs run $390 a cow and thats cheap compared to some other northern boys.Just a couple thoughts below

#1.Lets say we have a cow loses her calf..she may rebred real quick or she may not, if that same cow does not calf till next yr.. That calf has already cost me $780.00 .

.In my situation I can buy pairs for $700 and the calf is on the ground-

less $100.00 min in cull cow(more likely to be $200.00) revenue.

Thats makes it $600 for the pair..calf should be worth 450.00 in the fall.

#2 Now some would put an orphan calf on the cow.So lets take $390.00
And add $ 250.00 for a calf( if i can find one) thats makes it $640.00 .

And as farmhand said there are exceptions..Such as poor management,fertility , bull problems.
===========
frenchie,

Yep.....Common sense.

Latest posts