grazing turnips

Help Support CattleToday:

salemhigh

Reaction score
near weaning time, first year to graze turnips
Nov-2.jpg

Nov.jpg

We have a neighbor south of us that runs close to 500 cows and he seeds turnips in August. First he harrows his grain stubble then flies on the seed and harrows again. He turns the calves on after he weans in October and they graze turnips all winter. When they have the tops eaten off he uses a toolbar to work the turnips up and they eat them also. He says it's the cheapest feed he can find.

Bobg

i only allow them so much time a day grazing ,then move em off and feed hay,as ive been told of health prolems if grazed to long

salemhigh":3hsypbso said:
i only allow them so much time a day grazing ,then move em off and feed hay,as ive been told of health prolems if grazed to long
How long do you allow them to graze them? I've been kicking around the idea for a couple of years but have been afraid of the bloat issue.

I'm trying some again this year in a pasture that I have ryegrass in. I broadcasted them this time, as was told that when the turnips grow above or on the ground, it's easier for the cows.

i graze two times dailey,20 minutes or so at each time,cows will fill up very fast,then ill feed rough last years hay at night.so far it works good

That's some good, healthy looking beeves you have there, salemhigh. You sure you're not on the Ga. side of Lookout Mtn?

I've been thinking of trying turnips. I'm not sure if I have long enough growing season. Anyone having luck with them in the Midwest???

Salem,
How did you plant your turnips? Anyone have experience with overseeding or is this not feasible?

Salem,
How did you plant your turnips? Anyone have experience with overseeding or is this not feasible?
after seeding the turnip fields ,still had seed in drill along with rye and overseeded tifton44 and looks as ever turnip seed that hit the ground came though the bermuda ,rough cost 14 dollars per acre seed,and hit with 50 units N when 3 to 5 inches tall.

salemhigh":3irmo7qy said:
Salem,
after seeding the turnip fields ,still had seed in drill along with rye and overseeded tifton44 and looks as ever turnip seed that hit the ground came though the bermuda ,rough cost 14 dollars per acre seed,and hit with 50 units N when 3 to 5 inches tall.

Are you saying those turnips pictured were drilled into bermudagrass turf? If so, did you do anything to stun the bermudagrass and how long before you could graze the turnips?

gberry,the turnips pictured were planted behind sudan,but i did sow some on bermuda while it was still green and came through like i had killed the bermuda back, the cattle were turned in on both types of field in 45 days after seeding .

How do grazing turnips differ from regular turnips? How many pounds per acre did you plant?

salemhigh":1salrgzy said:
gberry,the turnips pictured were planted behind sudan,but i did sow some on bermuda while it was still green and came through like i had killed the bermuda back, the cattle were turned in on both types of field in 45 days after seeding .

How did you seed the turnips in bermudagrass?

Was wondering how they would do if overseeded like ryegrass.

Anyone ever tried this method?

Latest posts