grazing turnips

Help Support CattleToday:

How did you seed the turnips in bermudagrass?
seeded turnip in no till drill along with ryegass on bermuda,turnips produce more early feed than ryegrass did for me,already got one grazing and 3weeks will graze again.

One ofthe dairys planted forage turnips a couple of years ago. Turned out they were mislabled and were the eating kind not forage kind. The cows at the tops, what few there were and the deer dug out the roots. Had to disk and drag the field to get it smooth enough to do anything with, looked like a mine field. Before the deer got to the roots you couldn;t drive across the field because of all of the roots with there tops just above the ground.
I had similar problems when I planted mangles to chop for feed.

dun

Texas PaPaw":3eqayy96 said:
salemhigh":3eqayy96 said:
gberry,the turnips pictured were planted behind sudan,but i did sow some on bermuda while it was still green and came through like i had killed the bermuda back, the cattle were turned in on both types of field in 45 days after seeding .

How did you seed the turnips in bermudagrass?

Was wondering how they would do if overseeded like ryegrass.

Anyone ever tried this method?

This year I overseeded some. So far so good. I was told that overseeded turnips will make the turnip bulb grow on the surface of the ground - easier for the cows to graze. Will let you know of the results

i was wanting to plant turnips and the man at the local feed store said i would be better off using winter wheat said it cost a lot to plant tusnips. i live in ky do you think he is right. second what if you mix the turnips with rye grass or winter wheat will you still have to watch out for bloat.

Salem, My wife looked at those pictures and now she wants a mess of turnips for supper.

The price per acre sure sounds good,

Seeing those pictures makes me wish I was settin' in a lawn chair eatin a big mess of them. Sounds like I'd have to fight the deer though. :lol: Boone

trin":386czugi said:
i was wanting to plant turnips and the man at the local feed store said i would be better off using winter wheat said it cost a lot to plant tusnips. i live in ky do you think he is right. second what if you mix the turnips with rye grass or winter wheat will you still have to watch out for bloat.

Grazing turnips are not that expensive. you only plant 2-4# per acre and yes they will provide higher quality and more forage. (1.5-2# of gain per day)

Planting with winter wheat or rye is a great way to negate the bloat issue. there are some issues with milk tainting though for dairys. You can also just put an old bale of hay out in the pasture (for fibre), most animals will regulate themselves.