Grass killing Cattle ??

Help Support CattleToday:

I caught it looking through News the other day while researching for my paper. I seen in Texas where it said Grass kills cattle was like 2 weeks ago maybe.? Said something about the grasses releasing Cyanide and other stuff. I found it odd that grass would kill cattle and why they would eat it unless they were just left with no choice.

Arkansas":1pn1lhb8 said:
I caught it looking through News the other day while researching for my paper. I seen in Texas where it said Grass kills cattle was like 2 weeks ago maybe.? Said something about the grasses releasing Cyanide and other stuff. I found it odd that grass would kill cattle and why they would eat it unless they were just left with no choice.
Prussic Acid isn't something cattle are aware of....

I've noticed warnings on some herbicides to the effect that use of it "may make some otherwise un palatable plants more attractive to cattle".
IOW, living, the cows won't normally touh a certain plant but once sprayed they might because the herbicide altered something about the plant to make the cattle not recognize it.
Anyone know of any examples of this actually happening?

greybeard":33kljrfp said:
I've noticed warnings on some herbicides to the effect that use of it "may make some otherwise un palatable plants more attractive to cattle".
IOW, living, the cows won't normally touh a certain plant but once sprayed they might because the herbicide altered something about the plant to make the cattle not recognize it.
Anyone know of any examples of this actually happening?
When I spray burdock the cows will devour the leaves. I think they're under the impression is salad dressing.

Latest posts