Grass Fire!

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Got a wake up call last night around 11:15 from my SIL who lives next door saying the pasture north of us was on fire. Looked out and sure enough there was a prominent glow just over the rise. Fire departments from 5 area towns showed up and contained it a couple of hours later. About 40 acres of rough pasture involved with flames as high as the trees. Sure glad the breeze was out of the south.

Don't jinx me slick. I've got a 1,285 acre tinderbox with knee-high dry feed sitting under dry thunderstorms for the rest of the afternoon. :hide:
I have enough lease ground to squeak by ifff.... but still :hide: I'm trying really hard not to think about it.

Thanks, Hook. It never got really close to our place, but it did get inside the north fence. BIL said it wasn't very bad since it was grazed pretty close.

slick4591":1tr5cw1e said:
Got a wake up call last night around 11:15 from my SIL who lives next door saying the pasture north of us was on fire. Looked out and sure enough there was a prominent glow just over the rise. Fire departments from 5 area towns showed up and contained it a couple of hours later. About 40 acres of rough pasture involved with flames as high as the trees. Sure glad the breeze was out of the south.

Did it look a lot like this?

fire.jpg

Be careful, this occurred 4 weeks after the original fire due to some smoldering trunks.

They have been putting the water to the hot spots all day. Lots more brush involved in this one. Last week there was 90 rolls of wheat straw set south of town. It has just now been declared dead.

Remind everyone to disc around the property boundry if they can. A couple of disc widths wide sometimes saves them. Also disc around the buildings. 30 ft makes a lot of difference if a fire comes.

Yea, the short grass (bermuda), discing worked well to stop it. The tall stuff, it just slowed the fire a little.

This fire started a quarter mile away, the embers where just carried in the wind. Not a good year to loose any stockpiled grass. I sure hope the fireworks were pretty. :x

kenny I have been bugging the guys around here for YEARS! to do fire guards around their places. Talk about deaf ears. I'm waiting for a big one to go through and actually burn homes before they wake up. You would think they would after the Toilet Paper Arsonist Fire. That only burned 2200 acres and missed several home places.

I was out at 2am on Tuesday running from one end of our district to the other chasing fire reports after a lighting storm went through. Had 7 in our county. Had a huge one just north of our district but no way to get to it. Truck doesn't float the Missouri River real well.

Got that new stuff called Fire Ice. Hope we don't need to try it out.

Commercialfarmer":1d9j9xmb said:
Yea, the short grass (bermuda), discing worked well to stop it. The tall stuff, it just slowed the fire a little.

This fire started a quarter mile away, the embers where just carried in the wind. Not a good year to loose any stockpiled grass. I sure hope the fireworks were pretty. :x
I have family in Creek County, OK. They say they were hit real bad with the fire, some lost everything. Others are packed with necessities and ready to evacuate, Lord Have Mercy.

DFW TV stations have been covering fires in Oklahoma....lots of pics. of big fires and a lot of homes and other buildings burning. Hard to contain when it's 114 degrees, 10-20% humidity and 30 mph winds blowing. Hope everyone up that way is safe.

I luv herfrds":3v8zr8k5 said:
kenny I have been bugging the guys around here for YEARS! to do fire guards around their places. Talk about deaf ears. I'm waiting for a big one to go through and actually burn homes before they wake up. You would think they would after the Toilet Paper Arsonist Fire. That only burned 2200 acres and missed several home places.

I was out at 2am on Tuesday running from one end of our district to the other chasing fire reports after a lighting storm went through. Had 7 in our county. Had a huge one just north of our district but no way to get to it. Truck doesn't float the Missouri River real well.

Got that new stuff called Fire Ice. Hope we don't need to try it out.

The Fire Ice works real good but hope you dont need it.

That was a big one last night.
Lighting started a fire northwest of us. It was near a neighbor of ours other place across the river. I jumped in the truck with him. Told him don't wreck the truck.
So funny we got to the turn off I looked in the side mirror and we had a deputy right behind us with his lights going too. Told my neighbor I hoped they weren't after us. :lol2:
That sucker was so big my hubby saw it from 11 miles east of our home place. It was over 30 miles from our place.

No idea how much burned. Had 5 different departments along with 3 or 4 trucks coming from the DNRC.
Luckily it rained on the west side of it and it got knocked down pretty good.

Then got paged for a fire in our district so with this one knocked down pretty good we left with another department. Turns out that the place it was reported on is this dang preserve and the gates were padlocked and chained shut. Well guess they are SOL on us going in there. Turns out the owner is a real azzhole too.
So the other depatment returned to the fire and with the lighting still popping pretty hot on the eastern side of our district I headed for base. Nothing else got lit up so I finally went to bed.

Latest posts