Grass feed beef

Help Support CattleToday:

cow_crazy_101

Reaction score
does anyone on here raise and sell grass feed beef?
Or have you heard of TallGrassBeef?

cow_crazy_101":3syxojdz said:

yes - we finish beef on grass and/or lucerne. Grain is not economic in NZ. We will be finishing about 300-400 this winter.

Never heard of the TallGrassBeef - but feel free to fill me in!

Grass fed is the way they have evolved through millions of years sucessfully.
They get everything they need from grass . Licks and fertilizers are unnecessary.

If you want them to fatten out then you feed grain which is a crop grown first and processed and then fed to the cattle so it costs much more in time and effort.

You can mess about with blocks and oils and mollasses blends but the truth is they don't need it and reproduction rates and health are highest on grass.

cow_crazy_101":2muz0w7w said:

The topic below about red river crabgrass goes along with the grass fed beef in some areas. I replied to that post about V Mac Baldwin. He sells grass fed beef and ships all across the US. And in the thread I mentioned annual rye grass. In this area those two grasses make a good combination. When one grass is ending it's annual cycle the other is starting. So it's grass year round if it gets proper rain.

Mac has a web site. http://www.baldwinbeef.com/ He also sends out a news letter by e-mail. I bought bulls from him for 8 years until I started to cross breed the Charolais. He has some good stock and runs one heck of an operation. He also has chicken houses so he doesn't buy fertilizer.

Give him a call. He's a great guy and is full of information. He's taught me a few things over the years.

Latest posts