Granny, not much to look at, but.............

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie":3svlls1w said:
What frame-size is that cow ?..Dun

Around a 5 but not a 5.5. LIttle squatty thing, weighed 1350 when we weaned her calf.

dun

I am lucky to have a few like her. Next year I plan on keeping the claves on them longer.

Scotty

dj":1zl26pg3 said:
Is she a blk Angus with red influence?

Old style black angus but a red carrier. Every calf she's had when bred to a Hereford or Red Angus has been red.
At fall workup we trim the longer switches. Have had problems in the past with them freezing to the snow/ice

dun

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1c635d4r said:
We trim all tails spring & fall. In the spring just to look "tidy" but in the fall to keep mud balls from forming on them.

Around here folks think I'm an "odd bodkin" for trimming tails, just something we do. Didn;t worry about it in the desert. After hearing one cow bellering her head off as she pulled most of her switch off from being frozen to the ground it just seemed like a good idea in this environment.

dun

A not on her daughter, the red baldy. Her first calved weaned at an adjusted weight of 596 her second calf adjusted to 659. She's the same height as her mother and weighed 1310 when we weaned her calf this year. That's one of the reasons we keep hoping for more heifers from granny.

dun

We trim the tails because years ago we had lots of mud in the fall (REALLY???? :shock: ) and their tails got full of mud/manure, then they froze. They were beating their hocks with heavy sh@% balls hanging on their tails. Been trimming ever since.

All calves are 6 weeks weaned

Grannys 2005 calf

cole1.jpg

Grannys 2005 calf

cole2.jpg

Grannys daughters 2005 calf

patrick1.jpg

Assorted heifer butts

asst-butts.jpg

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3439r1as said:
Nice calves, nice facilities. The last pic (of the butts) shows a slightly lighter red heifer. Leggier than I would expect from your herd.

The lightrer one is a full Red Angus, the other two are F1 Polled Hereford Red Angus.
We really hadn;t planned on keeping her until we ultrasounded. 564 lbs 6 1/2 months old, weaned a month, IMF 3.67, REA 8.74, fat .18. That's on our standard weaning ration of a couple of pounds of 13% supplement a day and more of that old poisonous high endophyte fescue pasture.

dun

greenwillowherefords":dc39zbj9 said:
Who's the Herf sire of the F1s?

The one on the left is Feltons Domino 774 the one on the left is KCF Bennett H119

dun

greenwillowherefords":2nlq0t6d said:
What about Granny's?

This years calf is by H119 also, her daughter the baldy cow is by KCF Bennet 517 E153.

dun

Latest posts