Graining One

Help Support CattleToday:

Murry - are you feeding all pellets? Whole shell corn should be way cheaper than bag feed and best to finish with a low protein feed. High protein grows them - not fattens them.
Sorry - I'm a fanatic on WSC. Hubby was a nutritionist - WSC is the basis of all my feed - finishing and show feed.
This is what I have available to me. Which do you like?
1653934142747.png

I know each situation and circumstances are different, but at what age do you recommend starting the finishing process? I've heard one year old, one and a half and two. Murray - what age do you shoot for?

I know each situation and circumstances are different, but at what age do you recommend starting the finishing process? I've heard one year old, one and a half and two. Murray - what age do you shoot for?
My brown heifer will be "about" 18-19 months at finishing.
I say "about " because she was a purchased animal.
Want her on full feed, I'm gonna use corn and sweet feed I think, for 120 days

Sorry - been gone to a show.
Murry, if WSC is NOT available, I would go for the cracked corn. Hopefully it is not pulverized like they do around here (mostly dust). I have never fed barley, but others may comment. I "thought" hubby said you could only use a certain percent of barley in the ration.

Corn is carbs - you need carbs to put on fat - think about yourself. Steak = protein
potatoes = carbs.

Personally, I never use any source of sweet feed because my ultimate goal is straight corn and once they have sweet taste, it is sometimes difficult to drop the "sweet". (LOL Just like us!!) But, as SSTTERRY stated, he does start out with sweet. (glad the WSC is a winner!!)
I take weaned calves and put them on WSC with a protein so the ration is about 14% protein. As they increase intake, I increase # of WSC. I do not increase the # of protein. So this automatically lowers the amount of protein in the ration. By the time they are 800-900#, they only need about a 10-12% protein. Some of their protein intake can be from their hay/grass, so I drop all protein supplements when they are about 800#.
I feed out only my fall born steers (Sept/Oct - 3-5 head). They are butchered in October (12 or 13 months of age) and been averaging about 760# hot carcass, choice, YG 2. But, my calves are growthy at weaning. I watch them closely for accidosis, and push them like heck. I'm actually feeding out 5 right now, and made an appointment for 2 to be butchered in Dec., after deer season, because they may take longer.
I sell my spring born steers to a feedlot that is also a processor of his own cattle. I had so many freezer beef new customers, that I contacted him for carcasses/processed. He butchered 2 that he purchased from me, couple weeks ago - 766# and 748# - but they were Jan/Feb born so they were more like 16 months old (purchased last October).
So, basically same genetics just pushed differently. There is no "right answer" to finishing out steers. It is easier to finish out an older steer - but the older they get - the tougher they get. Just a balancing act as to what fits your program. No wrong way just as long as you get a good "finish" on them. You should see fat in the flank, sides of tailhead, and brisket - plus be able to feel a layer of fat over their ribs. Some breeds need more fat to get marbling, some less.
I don't have the "space" to feed out steers in the winter. All lots are tied up with females of different age/pregnancy groups. Having steers here in Nov & Dec is going to be difficult this fall.
Also, remember, if you finish them out in the summer and they are on grass and grain, their fat may be yellow from the carotein (sp?) in the grass. I don't "think" it changes the taste??

the older they get - the tougher they get
How old is old? I am trying to get the process right. Any help you can provide is appreciated. Mostly Angus with a little Limousin from grandma.
I have a steer, just over 20 months, that weighed in at 1200# yesterday that has a kill date on June 13. I started feeding him first of January. Would you say he is too old? I started feeding him late, but he has responded well, I think?
Another is 14 months and weighed 1060# yesterday, no kill date scheduled. He was added to the feed out program Mid March.
I have been feeding a mixed feed that has 50% cracked corn and WSC, a bag of each which makes the corn component 75%. Today I changed to 1 bag mixed feed and 2 bags corn to increase to 83% corn. Four steers are being fed, roughly 60+ lbs twice a day. They have access to water, hay, and a mineral tub.
To critique myself, I think I need to decide which animals to feed out a lot earlier, say 8 to 10 months, and build from there? I have a small operation that I am trying to build a freezer beef operation.
My last one was an Angus/Wagyu heifer that I bought from my neighbor. She was almost 25 months when she went to processor. Customer reports have come back positive on the tenderness, marbling, and flavor of her. She was just over 1000# when I purchased her, I fed her for 2.5 months, she was 1210# on kill date and hung at 774#.
Again, any guidance you (or others) can provide is very welcome.
Bob

I started feeding him first of January. Would you say he is too old? I started feeding him late, but he has responded well, I think?
I think it depends on your program. I had a bull that I slaughtered at 23 months, grass fed. I have a small place, so he was on pastures 6 acres and less the whole time. Tenderness is fine. Taste is great. What I'm finding is that there's a lot of "depends" on raising one.

Last edited:
Yes, there is no black & white answer. You have to LOOK at the animal to tell if he/she is "ready". They need a good fat cover to be ready. Remember, marbling generally does not start until the body & organs have a certain amount of fat cover - then, the body will start putting in marbling. And, that depends on the individual animal.
Ideally, an animal STAYS in a constant growth curve. Never leveling out and staying stagnant. Supposedly, that will make the most marbling giving = age, breed, management.
You are feeding enough. Sounds like you are doing a great job.

This is where I'm at with ~2 weeks to go. Been doing 5#/day for about 45 days. I've never grained one before, so we kind of went 1/2 in, not all in. Found out my neighbor does about 1.5#/day for about 30 days, and that's not nearly enough.

1664227564906.png

This is where I'm at with ~2 weeks to go. Been doing 5#/day for about 45 days. I've never grained one before, so we kind of went 1/2 in, not all in. Found out my neighbor does about 1.5#/day for about 30 days, and that's not nearly enough.

View attachment 21563
Well he looks good and fat for what your feeding! Look at his tail head.

I'll get a current pic of my heifer tonight. She's been on feed since weaning and I'm a bit jealous right now.

Shes getting 3 scoops of cracked corn and 3 scoops of honey grain. Almost a 5 gallon bucket full.. twice a day. For her and my jersey. The beef heifer is definitely gaining and fattening better.

She has a November 8th appointment been on heavy feed for a while now.

What I'm feeding. I wish it was weight gain.
Be nice if we could weigh as we go huh!

Here's my fat lil big heifer. When ya watch em everyday and carry feed twice a day it's dang sure hard to tell how they are doing.
I just weighed feed.
The cracked corn is 5lbs per scoop x3
The honey grain is 4lbs per scoop. X3
So 27 lbs for the 2 of em twice a day this month. I'll carry that thru October I guess. They've been on that all this month and less last month. Tho, like I said, been on something since they were weaned.
Here's the honey grain.
20220926_173842.jpg
Stillwater feed says it can be used as a fattening/finishing feed as well. I want that ol timey finish flavor. Hope I'm doing it right...
And here's brownie..
With Opal
20220926_174656.jpg20220926_174638.jpg
I hope she looks good to everyone else's eyes. To me, she still seems like a baby!

Last edited:
Not just that, but marbling starts early in life. A lean yearling won't marble as well as a calf that's been creep fed and got fleshy before weaning.

Murry - are you feeding all pellets? Whole shell corn should be way cheaper than bag feed and best to finish with a low protein feed. High protein grows them - not fattens them.
Sorry - I'm a fanatic on WSC. Hubby was a nutritionist - WSC is the basis of all my feed - finishing and show feed.
Just tagging you guys so you'll be sure to see our updates. My feed regimen is above.

Thanks for everyone's input! Greatly appreciated!

@Bestoutwest we should post ribeye pics this fall!!

hmm 5+4 = 9 lbs twice a day 9x2 = 18 lbs total not 27
or
9 lbs each twice a day = 18 lbs each or 36 lbs total per day
Oops

3 scoops corn for 15lbs
3 scoops honey grain for 12 lbs

Morning and evening.

O dear lord. That's 54lbs a day!
No wonder my wallet is empty...

Edit.. I updated last post too

The jersey really don't need that. I should pull her outta there and put her somewhere else. My other pen is occupied tho

Last edited: