Grafted tomato plants

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Anyone ever used them? Planted a bunch of 607's today. About three inches tall and already got 5 or so blooms on them. This is going to be interesting.

Jogeephus":3bqq8f9t said:
Anyone ever used them? Planted a bunch of 607's today. About three inches tall and already got 5 or so blooms on them. This is going to be interesting.

Need more info Jo. This promises to be interesting

I'm at a loss. I got 100 plants through someone I do business with. He didn't tell me any details other than it is what his company will be planting this year. They are a huge state of the art grower which is why asked him for some plants. All I know is their name is 607. Didn't realize they were grafted plants until I started handling them and noticed the graft. If they get pollinated and begin to bear fruit now the darn fruit is going to be bigger than the bush but they are loaded with blooms. Its definitely going to be interesting but if anyone can ruin a crop of tomatoes it would be me.

Jogeephus":3d6wppjb said:
I'm at a loss. I got 100 plants through someone I do business with. He didn't tell me any details other than it is what his company will be planting this year. They are a huge state of the art grower which is why asked him for some plants. All I know is their name is 607. Didn't realize they were grafted plants until I started handling them and noticed the graft. If they get pollinated and begin to bear fruit now the darn fruit is going to be bigger than the bush but they are loaded with blooms. Its definitely going to be interesting but if anyone can ruin a crop of tomatoes it would be me.

Are they tomatoes grafted on potatoes? :p

Probably nematode resistant root stock.

1982vett":wkai3n7e said:
Are they tomatoes grafted on potatoes?

I wish!

I can't help but think how tedius it would have been to graft all those little tomatoes. Always figured there was nothing worse than painting a house but I really think this would be worse.

You should see the blooms though. I'm ready for a mater sandwich.

Jogeephus":32bh0shf said:
1982vett":32bh0shf said:
Are they tomatoes grafted on potatoes?

I wish!

I can't help but think how tedius it would have been to graft all those little tomatoes. Always figured there was nothing worse than painting a house but I really think this would be worse.

You should see the blooms though. I'm ready for a mater sandwich.

I was thinking similar, how could it be cost effective.....I guess if a tomato crop depends on it, maybe.

novaman":nilx8pqw said:
I'm curious what the reason would be to graft tomatoes?

What I have since learned is that the root stock is grown from a extremely expensive disease free seed but the fruit it bears isn't that great. So they graft a good tasting tomato on top and this scion becomes resistant to all the diseases the rootstock is resistant to but the scion still retains its other properties. (we have a lot of bad tomato diseases here)

I don't know the specifics of the graft but most of the grafts are based around heirloom variety tomatoes. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do.

I believe I can do this. Thanks for the idea Jogeephus!

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tHnOYcI6B44&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tHnOYcI6B44&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I bet you could. Looks tedius but not hard. But it must pay off. So far, mine are doing well. Have been picking tomatoes off the plants since they started bearing at four inches and I didn't think fruit at this size would be good for the bush.

I have to admit this is the only youtube video that I have down-loaded. With my super-speed Internet service, it only took an hour and a half. When I was a kid in grade school we were taught about grafting trees and can still have fond memories of the apple tree we grafted with four different varieties. This technique is very interesting, I have rooted many different plants. I got into it because doing research, on a favorite tree that everyone wanted, I found out that the only way they are started is by rooting new shoots or cuttings. After I got the first one to root, I had to try doing it with every other plant that I came across. I have also gotten into Bonsai which is really cool. I don't think there is anything more enjoyable than raising plants and animals, especially one that you have planted or were involved with the breeding.

I agree it does give satisfaction. I've always messed with plants. Got on the bonzai kick as well but I gave up my small collection. I also once worked in a tissue culture lab where we grew things from the cellular level. Many times I felt like I was on the island with Dr. Moreau since some of our creations were far from perfect. Ever seen a blob of rosin with a pine needle growing out of it? But in general it was amazing.

If you and Macon get proficient at grafting tomatoes I might just have a market for you. ;-)

Mater sandwich anyone?

IMG_4268.jpg

But tell me something....everyone knows what "grocery store" tomatoes taste like (actually, don't taste like). I hope after going thru all of the trouble to graft them they at least taste like a tomato should.

1982vett":1tt1c832 said:
But tell me something....everyone knows what "grocery store" tomatoes taste like (actually, don't taste like). I hope after going thru all of the trouble to graft them they at least taste like a tomato should.

I think the main problem with the grocery store tomatoes is they are not vine ripened for shipping and storage reasons. If you were to pick your own from this field I doubt you'd choose what they will be packing.

This is kinda off subject but I think its interesting. Ever wonder why you can buy apples at a grocer one week and they are just as crisp as they can be then the next week they taste like mush? When I was in the nursery business and we supplied a lot of fruit trees to some large outfits. I was told that apples were put into storage rooms and the atmosphere was controlled various ways to prevent ripening. Once the seal was broken they began to ripen. Those crisp ones you get out of season are the ones closest to the door. The mealy tasting ones are the ones in the back of the wharehouse and the last to ship - or so I was told.

Latest posts