Tomato

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd":37fsrq0i said:
cowgirl8":37fsrq0i said:
I sometimes grow mine from seed. This year I could not find celebrity tomato in seeds....Not sure why. I was at Atwoods and they had theirs on sale for 79 cents per plant..But its me buying so I dig around and find a pot with 2 plants. You can separate them and, you got it, you get 2 fer... When I got home I broke them apart and planted in a bigger pot. Once i'm sure there is the least danger of frost, i'll put them in the garden. Since its really windy in the spring, i'll bury mine up to the new growth after pulling all the leaves off below. This keeps the wind from breaking them over and it gets a deeper root system and if there is a frost, its easier to cover. I'm not big on pulling suckers, I've found it really doesn't do much. I plant and let them do what they do.... Instead of planting fall plants(which basically not enough time to get ripe tomatoes) i'll let the cherry tomatoes stay in the garden...The smaller tomatoes will regrow when it cools off and you'll get fall tomatoes that are iffy if they ripen. I make green tomato relish out of mine..

https://www.willhiteseed.com/products.php?cat=77
I was planning on ordering, but while at Atwoods, they had just set the plants out of the truck, so I knew that maybe they were never water starved. They were in pots too, buying plants in 6 packs is risky since they dry out so fast.
Planting in a trench is a good idea.. I may do it that way when i get them into the garden..makes sense.

I just plant deep enough to cover the roots and maybe a little more. I've never buried to the leaves. Water immediately. Usually I fill the hole in with water or miracle grow then fill in with dirt. Then water again.

I am having the same problem as wlamar. My peppers I started are doing great but the tomatoes are way too tall and falling over. I'm slowly weaning them from heat took them outside for the first time today since it was 50 and sunny. Is it too early to transplant into a little larger peat pot and bury them deeper? They have a little fuzz on the stem but only the two little leaves on top. Are the two little leaves considered true leaves?

I would get them in bigger pots. I've never had much luck past this stage in these small things, but I tend to forget to water. ..

cowgirl8":2pn8bi7o said:
I would get them in bigger pots. I've never had much luck past this stage in these small things, but I tend to forget to water. ..
Thanks cowgirl, have you used those peat pods like in my picture? If so do I need to rip that fine netting off when I put them in bigger pots?