Have you ever sold grade and yield?

• yes

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • what's that

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
Learned that pretty much the ultrasound we used to do on heifers before we would retain them works.

BC":390cwx1w said:
Railed some bulls I bought at a purebred sale. Dressing percentage was less than I expected.
Seems I always get a guy that wants to send a couple head along to see how they do grade and yield. It usually is a one time deal for them, after realizing they didn't produce what they thought they did, that grade and yield deal is over with. Oh yeah and the packer screwed them. ;-)

inbredredneck":3em37nhn said:
BC":3em37nhn said:
Railed some bulls I bought at a purebred sale. Dressing percentage was less than I expected.
Seems I always get a guy that wants to send a couple head along to see how they do grade and yield. It usually is a one time deal for them, after realizing they didn't produce what they thought they did, that grade and yield deal is over with. Oh yeah and the packer screwed them. ;-)
That's all part of the data we get back on the stuff that we sell through the marketing group along with gain data and cost of gain, etc.

inbredredneck":2y0z7tqt said:
BC":2y0z7tqt said:
I didn't say the packer screwed me as the bulls still made money. The sale had weighed the bulls and provided the weights to the audience. The bulls only dressed 53 to 56 percent. I had assumed that they would have dressed more. That was the learning part.

Re:
Have you ever sold grade and yield? & If yes what did you learn from it.
Yes, many times. Every time I have done it I have confirmed what I was taught and practiced for many years.
And that is:
A calf on a mamma will grade and yield better then a bottle fed calf.
A calf that has been creep fed while still on mamma will grade and yield better then one that was not.
A creep fed calf will always have better marbling if it is started early in life to creep feed. The earlier the better.
Late term feeding to add fat (marbling ) does just that, adds fat that will become trimmings and does little to better the marbling.

SL

BC I didn't meen you thought they screwed you these fellas are always upset with grade more than yield afterall everything coming out of their herd is prime.

I have and the main thing I learned is that it is a lot harder than I thought to make a herd grade all prime. The hardest part for me was finding information on how to cull and what I needed to do to improve my premiums. With only one pen, I finally decided that it wasn't worth the risk, even tho' I made money every year but one. Did it for 5 years. gs

plumber_greg":27ejfmf6 said:
I have and the main thing I learned is that it is a lot harder than I thought to make a herd grade all prime. The hardest part for me was finding information on how to cull and what I needed to do to improve my premiums. With only one pen, I finally decided that it wasn't worth the risk, even tho' I made money every year but one. Did it for 5 years. gs
Well look at it this way Greg if you had atleast 2.8 % of your herd grade prime you was keeping with the average.