Government subsidies.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
We attended a blessing of the crop breakfast this morning, and it was another eye opener. We are totally dependent on the government to live day to day. The simple truth is our community will not survive without farm subsidies. I'm not in favor of subsidies and don't plan on taking any myself. But the working man and the poor man can't make a living or eat in Dodge county Georgia without subsidies. The economy - businesses around here depend on the farmers, and the farmers depend on the government. We have some really good folks here, that work hard and do right, but can't survive without subsidies. I'm not sure how we got to this point, and I see no way out for any of us.

It extends beyond pure subsidies. Government involvement in agriculture includes the county extension programs, Natural Resource Conservation programs, CRP, CAIP, etc.

Politicians have been courting agriculture since George Washington was a a pup. It is not realistic to expect it to end over night.

I'm not sure how we got to this point, and I see no way out for any of us.

The govt and it's agencies not only helped this along, they count(ed) on it.
Look at the number of govt agency employees that would be without their current jobs if this had not happened, and you will find your answer.

People get what they wish for. Elected officials live by one primary motive, above all others - GET RE-ELECTED.

Giving "We The People" what we want, fulfills that motive. Farmers are courted in the same manner everyone else is. Everyone wants their "Fifth of Whiskey" in exchange for their vote. Old as the Kentucky Hills.

:hide: I've called the nrcs office. This year.
I only was looking.. :hide:
I have around 250 acres that is completely unusable due to cedar. And the nrcs is paying cost share money to remove cedar. I haven't ruled it out. It's alot of dam money. Thing is it has to be their way and subject to annual inspections. Fair enough no doubt. But I don't think I'd like it.
I'll most likely just keep pecking on it with my little dozer.

callmefence":xjoxksd7 said:
I have around 250 acres that is completely unusable due to cedar. And the nrcs is paying cost share money to remove cedar. I haven't ruled it out. It's alot of dam money. Thing is it has to be their way and subject to annual inspections. Fair enough no doubt. But I don't think I'd like it.

Around here they aerial spray and kill everything besides the pine trees and grass. I wonder if some there's some herbicides that might work on cedars and not kill the grass?

True Grit Farms":n6fipqoc said:
callmefence":n6fipqoc said:

Around here they aerial spray and kill everything besides the pine trees and grass. I wonder if some there's some herbicides that might work on cedars and not kill the grass?

Yes.
Spent a chunk on tordon every year. It kills younger trees ok. But not to effective on the larger old growth trees.
A dozer.. preferably a big one. Is the only efficient way I've seen.

Truth, is our government benefits from a cheap food supply. Countries usually don't implode until people get hungry.

callmefence":1ge6ekmu said:
True Grit Farms":1ge6ekmu said:
callmefence":1ge6ekmu said:

Yes.
Spent a chunk on tordon every year. It kills younger trees ok. But not to effective on the larger old growth trees.

Maybe your cedars are bigger in Texas - Isn't everything bigger in Texas - but my Cat D3G took cedars out with ease. It is those hackberry, elm, oak, and maple that take some effort.

callmefence":3s9v7agq said:

We did something like that a few years back. However, at that time, there were no annual inspections, just two - one to make sure you actually cleared the cedars and another to make sure you seeded the areas you had cleared. I, too , would not like to be tied up in an agreement with annual inspections.

Bright Raven":2qciznlp said:
callmefence":2qciznlp said:
True Grit Farms":2qciznlp said:

Yes.

Maybe your cedars are bigger in Texas - Isn't everything bigger in Texas - but my Cat D3G took cedars out with ease. It is those hackberry, elm, oak, and maple that take some effort.

I got cedars with 18 to 24" trunks. Growing out of solid jagged rock.

callmefence":3b7puyp8 said:
Bright Raven":3b7puyp8 said:
callmefence":3b7puyp8 said:
Yes.

I made a ****ing chair outta one.

callmefence":33fihxwi said:
Bright Raven":33fihxwi said:
callmefence":33fihxwi said:
Yes.

Wow. They are much bigger. 10 inches is big here.

Texas Gal":32evl2te said:
callmefence":32evl2te said:

We did something like that a few years back. However, at that time, there were no annual inspections, just two - one to make sure you actually cleared the cedars and another to make sure you seeded the areas you had cleared. I, too , would not like to be tied up in an agreement with annual inspections.

Did they make you take it all? I would like to leave some strips for the deer. I got the impression that wouldn't be acceptable.

The biggest farmer I know, has one man hired for one very special job........Figuring it out, and getting him signed up.

Bigfoot":3dguz338 said:
The biggest farmer I know, has one man hired for one very special job........Figuring it out, and getting him signed up.

That's the part I don't like, but he probably spends the most in the community...hopefully. All the local business owners were telling the farmers how much they appreciated their business. And without them they wouldn't be in business. In Florida we depend on the tourist and white collar pencil pushers to come in and buy a few drinks and eat some seafood. There's nothing here besides farmers, prisons and schools, and without the government this community is done.

True Grit Farms":2ggakhu8 said:
Bigfoot":2ggakhu8 said:

That's the part I don't like, but he probably spends the most in the community...hopefully. All the local business owners were telling the farmers how much they appreciated their business. And without them they wouldn't be in business. In Florida we depend on the tourist and white collar pencil pushers to come in and buy a few drinks and eat some seafood. There's nothing here besides farmers, prisons and schools, and without the government this community is done.

Grit. If we all just hold hands, we can get through this together. If we come out the other side, none of this is going to matter.

Latest posts