Got to see my first BSE

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
Had vet come out and do a BSE on my bull. Pretty interesting to say the least. Everything checked out he passed with flying colors. Scrotal circumference was 35cm, he had >95% sperm activity.

Did you cringe just a little when they poured the juice to him.............

Congrats on him passing!

I always get the letters of checking a bull and the mad cow disease letters mixed up. Thought he got to see his first mad cow. gs

3waycross":1w4u3u3r said:

Congrats on him passing!

I think it was worse when the vet crammed that big black torpedo in his butt :lol2:

Calhoun Farm":27y4knkr said:
3waycross":27y4knkr said:

Congrats on him passing!

I think it was worse when the vet crammed that big black torpedo in his butt :lol2:

Yep!
I was under the impression it would be like a probe. Something about the size of a flourescent bulb. Yikes! That thing must have felt like a garbage can going in.

That's a good score for sure!

I remember whenever the BSE's were performed where I used to work, I always felt sorry for those bulls. It didn't look like fun. They all would react differently. I remember 1 would always, just about, fall down.

The one I just sold got a 39cc and 89% at 19 mos.
The torpedo/ " garbage can" was the most uncomfortable part for him it appeared.
The electrical charge made him kick his right rear once or twice and then done.
Intersting to watch this kind of stuff.

HIs first sample had nothing, the second sample was a good one. Vet let me look in microscope and those little boogers where swimming around like crazy.

The Vet I use for the BSE for the bull sale collects by massage. He is very good at it, he is checking at the same time as getting a sample and they will roll out the Este Lauder for him to check for warts etc at the same time while looking between their legs. He is so fast I can't keep the bulls up to him fast enough. Puts the samples in an incubator and then takes them all back to his trailer to check together. No discomfort to the bull.
Ken

The first time I saw it done was in college over 15 years ago, and my professor told everyone that it did not hurt.... the bulls learned to enjoy it! We all nervously laughed, and then proceeded to watch him work. That was when they had to hand pulse the electricity... and when the bull finally ejaculated he let out a LOUD bellar, slammed against the front of the chute, and his eyes about pop out of his head...... We all looked at the professor like he was crazy.... how could ANYONE think that the bull actually enjoyed THAT????? Or could look forward to it????? :help:
Looking back at it now, it is funny. But we were all stunned (bet not as bad as that bull was!).... :lol:
Something else we learned, was that electro-ejaculate was discovered because when prisoners were electrocuted, they would ejaculate in their pants. Further study of that event lead to the process we now put our bulls through to make sure they are fertile....

wbvs58":2mcmabep said:
The Vet I use for the BSE for the bull sale collects by massage. He is very good at it, he is checking at the same time as getting a sample and they will roll out the Este Lauder for him to check for warts etc at the same time while looking between their legs. He is so fast I can't keep the bulls up to him fast enough. Puts the samples in an incubator and then takes them all back to his trailer to check together. No discomfort to the bull.
Ken

Hes good at giving reach arounds? Sorry I had too! :lol2:

cloud9cattle":ucl5e1ze said:
wbvs58":ucl5e1ze said:
Ken

The old "finger wave". :lol2:

cloud9cattle":208lh837 said:
wbvs58":208lh837 said:
Ken

Yep! I just had to wipe the spit off my computer screen!! :deadhorse:

Latest posts