got the garden planted

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, the corns up about 6", beans and squash up.waiting on the maters, okra, peppers, and carrots to get up.

hooknline":s2hmv6fx said:
Well, the corns up about 6", beans and squash up.waiting on the maters, okra, peppers, and carrots to get up.

Hookline,

We used to start our peppers and maters in seedbeds new years day. You could do the same thing in a small greenhouse or a window sill for that mater. I think you would be pleased with the results compared to starting then now in the garden. Some folks will also soak their okra seed overnight then plant it.

It would still be beneficial to start them in trays now so they won't compete with the weeds as bad. Good luck with your garden I will be putting mine down soon if I can get everything else caught up.

We finally got some rain. Not much yet, about 1/2 inch. We had some bad weather in the state and emergency warnings kept going off on the radio and each time I hoped they'd mention my county but they never did and the rain never came.

Still have greens though. I think they've gotten ahead of me.

IMG_5035.jpg

I like the roots too. That was supper last night. You are welcome to all you want. I can't give them away at the moment and I surely can't eat all I have cause it don't take but a half a root to make a meal.

Finally got around to getting the garden prepped to plant, probably plant tommorow. Been throwing the idea of laying the plastic mulch down, those mulch layers sure are expensive....and I don't think I got enough H.P. in my garden tractor.....lol

Tractor.jpg

It's a 1960 Economy Jim Dandy, I have almost all the attachments needed to garden for it, very little manual labor involed anymore. My garden is tiny, 25' x 35' or so, it's a perfect fit for it. If the garden gets any bigger, we have a handful of Farmall 140's to use.

You are lucky to have those. I think they are worth more now than when they were first built. They are perfect for the garden. You can't beat them cause you can see what you are doing. With more people raising gardens I've always thought they should revive the Farmall's. I think they'd sell. Especially if they updated the carburetor cause that's the only thing I believe that wasn't great about the tractor.

My neighbor has a farmall with everything on it. I sometimes get green and wish he'd get hooked on crack or something. :lol2:

My father and I restore the 140's. I grew up farming on them, my grandfather quit mule farming and went to a JD L, sold that and went to Farmall's. Probably started with an "A", until he ended up with the 140's. They have been on the place ever since.

This is the latest one we have worked on. Dont laugh at the tomatoe cage/plywood work station..... :lol:

afterpaint2.jpg

Here it is almost finished

IMG_0667.jpg

Back on topic, I did get my garden planted today.

Not yet..this dry weather is pushing things back. Setting flowers now. Corn is getting there, beans setting buds, and maters too. Its all slow this year

That is some garden you have there! nice choices of plants also, nothing beats like fresh vegetables straight from your own garden. I do garden once in a while and i prefer vegetables rather than flowering plants since i say they are more productive plus the fact that you can enjoy the "fruits of your labor" or so they say. Goodluck with your gardening!more power!

This is why I do not visit this section very much. You all get me itching to get in my garden.
I just got the first till job done on it yesterday. It was 67 degrees.
Today it is 47 degrees with a cold north wind blowing.
*sigh*

Thinking of wait til it gets a bit warmer before starting my tomatos inside. Might just wait and buy them at the greenhouse.

Well, so far my corn sucks.its about thigh high and putting tassles on. Maters, peppers and beans are doing great, squash on the other hand also sucks....I may plant another round once we start getting rain and take my chances

I've already got a lot of blooms on the squash, probably have a mess or two next week. Okra is about a 9" tall, cukes are starting to run...So far so good with the garden. And I really like the drip tape irrigation.

Go ahead, rub it in...I'm going to bury some of that hose that weeps water next time I plant and just hook it up to one of those timers.this no rain stuff sucks.

Latest posts