Got sweet taters?

Help Support CattleToday:

Chuckie":2b7z7snt said:
No pun intended, right Sky?

;-)

Ouachita":2b7z7snt said:
Poot roots....I like them when they are prepared right. It's easy to mess up. They sure are fun to grow, especially with kids and grand kids. Good job sky. Next year tell us how many jars you still have full :D

lol they will be gone by memorial day im sure. I love those poot roots. They are fun to grow I like them gowing and getting surprises when I did them. Its pretty hard to mess up a sweet potato. However a lot of yall on this bored may not be able to grow them unless you have sandy loam soil or either add sand to your soil and mix it in well.

Looks great Sky! :banana:

I planted 50 slips first time ever this year, i pulled a plant last weekend
and there must have been 3 pounds on a vine!!

We put up a lot of other veggies in the garden but no sweet potato yet, so How do you do it?

I also like the way your curing them, good idea.

Bill

BILL CLAYLAND":1mouxrkx said:
Looks great Sky! :banana:

I planted 50 slips first time ever this year, i pulled a plant last weekend
and there must have been 3 pounds on a vine!!

We put up a lot of other veggies in the garden but no sweet potato yet, so How do you do it?

I also like the way your curing them, good idea.

Bill

Thanks Bill
Congrats on yours. I planted over 700 slips lol
What we do is boil the sweet tater about 10 mins or until skin comes off easily run under cool water for a second then go peel them cut in chunks place in a can. Then after can full put about 10 tablespoons of orange juice REAL orange juice in each jar. You will then need to make your syrup that you pour over them and cook for 45 mins in a pressure cooker or canning pot water over the can. The syrp ingredients are water brown sugar enough to make water really sweet this in turn makes the taters also that sweet. Thats what we do. We have been canning more lol

ResizedImage_1411061184231_zps0dc8a6b5.jpg

ResizedImage_1411061183442_zpsf17d8d32.jpg

I love those poot roots lol I never froze them I don't think you get the same freshness with freezing. I think you lose a lot of flavor.

skyhightree1 said:
I love those poot roots lol I never froze them I don't think you get the same freshness with freezing. I think you lose a lot of flavor.[/quot

She bakes them and then freezes. Take them out and thaw out and warm cannot tell the difference. When growing up we eat a lot of the sweet potatoes. Baked potatoes were called dooley potatoes. do not ask me why.

hurleyjd":15h6of4t said:
skyhightree1":15h6of4t said:
I love those poot roots lol I never froze them I don't think you get the same freshness with freezing. I think you lose a lot of flavor.[/quot

She bakes them and then freezes. Take them out and thaw out and warm cannot tell the difference. When growing up we eat a lot of the sweet potatoes. Baked potatoes were called dooley potatoes. do not ask me why.

Oh ok that makes sense how long does she keep them in the freezer. I would think after 6 mos you gotta toss them. I ate a lot of them too growing up. I now mostly only like in a pie.