Got Hickory ?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Since Jo has twisted my arm with seeing his smokers and smoke houses and wonderful smoked meats I have decided to build a smoker so today I went and cut up a hickory that fell a year ago in one of my row crop fields. I think I got enough wood to smoke for a while.

ResizedImage_1360451884824_zps93b81c60.jpg

You're killing me. I've been scouring all over for even a pignut hickory and can't find one inside our fences to cut on. I do have a glut of wild florida cherry trees and various citrus to play with. I just like the traditional flavor of hickory and pecan. Btw. Lowes has a heavy guage prebiotic smoker on wheels for 400. Can't build one for that unless you have the steel laying around already
Nice find!

Jogeephus":g3alr014 said:
I'd say you are sitting pretty on the hickory. What type smoker are you going to make?

Jo I planned to make one like the last one you made that you sent me pics of sometime this spring or summer only with a cement floor and a fire box inside the smoke house. What do you think about that set up?

hook yea I saw that smoker too I took a pic of the one I liked incase my other half wanted to get it for me for my birthday or fathers day. I have 4 huge oil tanks I got that I need to make a cooker out of one the others im not sure I thought about making some type of smoker but not exactly sure how. Hook if you were here I could load you up on the hickory lol I have no pecan nor citrus trees to experiment with so im jealous.

skyhightree1":3rixa2ho said:
Jogeephus":3rixa2ho said:
I'd say you are sitting pretty on the hickory. What type smoker are you going to make?

Jo I planned to make one like the last one you made that you sent me pics of sometime this spring or summer only with a cement floor and a fire box inside the smoke house. What do you think about that set up?

I can't say just yet cause I'm still building it and haven't put it to the test yet. I guess it would really depend on what you intend to use it for mostly.

hooknline":2dl65n8r said:
and various citrus to play with.
Ever have any luck cooking with it? I have tons of it and all it gets used for is stovewood in the schoolhouse. I am certainly open to learning something new if I'm missing out. :D
Pecan and oak are my favorites whenever food is involved.

Cp, it's alright for chicken and turkey and fish. Meats tht benefit for a light smoke. I really lean to traditional smoke flavors though.

skyhightree1":23bycc6v said:
I just want to smoke some hams maybe ribs fish deer hind quarters thats all

Don't know about the ribs. Don't think it will get hot enough to render the meat right. I think your oil drum idea would be better suited for the ribs and things like pulled pork.

Jogeephus":2a21pue5 said:
skyhightree1":2a21pue5 said:
I just want to smoke some hams maybe ribs fish deer hind quarters thats all

Don't know about the ribs. Don't think it will get hot enough to render the meat right. I think your oil drum idea would be better suited for the ribs and things like pulled pork.

Do you think I should basically use the cooker I plan on building out of the tank as dual purpose and use it to smoke too ? I did think about putting a rack on a tank and piping in from like a old wood stove and use it as a smoker and not cooker.

I'm not sure if we are talking the same things but in quick terms no. Each smoker has a cruising temp which it likes and will plane out at. For cooking ribs, butts, chickens, and cooked (smoked) hams you want the temp to coast between 225-300F or what they call low and slow. This will render the fat and make some of the best eating you've ever had but it takes time. The house we had discussed is for cold smoking. Cold smoking is done at a low heat of about 60F so the fire you would build in the house would just be a small fire just enough to fill the house with smoke and put very little heat in it. You'd repeat this twice a day for several days or several weeks depending on what you are doing. For me, there are very few days where I can actually cold smoke meats because our ambient temps are usually 60 or better and I'd have to do this in a refrigerator. But that really doesn't matter because I can warm smoke at 140 - 170F and as long as I do this the fat will not render and is only a problem when it comes to smoking salmon because to smoke salmon you really need the cold smoke else the flesh will cook and you cannot slice it thin like people like.

So the bottom line is, without a lot of modifications to the oil tank - ie making two seperate compartments in it - one being for cold smoke and one being for hot smoke I don't think it would be worth it in the long run cause you would have to constantly babysit the fire and keep an eye on the temps or you'd ruin your meat.

What I would suggest doing is building a reverse flow smoker out of the oil tank. This would work for 90% of the things you want to cook. I'd then build a small outhouse type cold smoker out of wood for your hams and bacon and stuff. This is an easy and cheap build and if you find you are pushed for space I'd build the one with the concrete floor or better yet - let me be the guinnea pig and tell you how this new design I'm working on turns out.

ok guinea pig let me know how yours works out lol I will see what yours does before I proceed. I may just stick with the cold smoker and leave the hot smoking alone.

Hickory question: I have a lot of shagbark hickory, no pignut hickory. Would shagbark hickory produce a good hickory smoke flavor? Is hickory hickory?

You guys are making me hungry for some ribs....

Jim

Yes, any of the hickories are great and lend a mild flavor to the meat. They tend to cook burn at a lower temp so sometimes you need to add a little oak to the mix.

I have never cooked with shagbark to answer that question. I would imagine it would have same flavor just a guess. I had beef ribs for dinner posted a pic a lil bit ago lol

skyhightree1":25k6yrej said:
ok guinea pig let me know how yours works out lol I will see what yours does before I proceed. I may just stick with the cold smoker and leave the hot smoking alone.

No! You owe it to yourself and your family and your neighbors, church, God and country, to make a reverse flow smoker out of one of those oil tanks. You have been given a blessing to have one at your disposal and to refute this blessing I think would put you in the wrong line come judgement day. You have not dined until you have eaten animal flesh that has bathed in 250F smoke for hours on end. Its beyond good and is rarely replicated by commercial restaurants.

And if you build one, Elvis will come.

IMG_4600.jpg

Jo you have just inspired me to GIT ER DONE... i will make one but you can't get upset if i ask 1,948.345 questions as I go lol Elvis coming may be nice if he autographs alot of stuff before he goes.

Post a picture of the tank again so I'll be sure to know what you are talking. I think I remember it but I might be confused. They are not hard to build as long as you don't start splitting hairs and overthinking it.

Latest posts