Got a new vet

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Told the vet what I was doing and he told me he uses this stuff on all his cattle and I bought a bottle of baytril

ResizedImage_1415757088539_zps0a4f7a8a.jpg

Sky, viroshield is a very good product but remember they MUST be revacinated in 4-5 weeks. That is why I use an inter nasal modified live virus and dont have to get them back up for the booster. Same way with all the blackleg vaccines except Alpha 7.

In normal conditions with your own cattle I think it is fine. With the market calves I want the protection that day. With the Inforce 3 and presponse I have that on the first day. The inforce 3 is put in the nostral where the sickness starts. Mine are worked within hours of being bought. Not the next day or when I have time, it must be soon. As I have said before, since I started doing it this way I rarely have a sick calf.
But the junkers I buy are pretty tough anyway. I think that makes a big difference. A 300 lb butterball fat tender calf will get sick lots more than a 300lb tough wormy hard calf.

Kenny I think what I may do is use the stuff you use for the barn cattle. I see your point Kenny I think I will use your way I don't want to keep working them that's a major PITA

skyhightree1":2b3aqs92 said:
Kenny I think what I may do is use the stuff you use for the barn cattle. I see your point Kenny I think I will use your way I don't want to keep working them that's a major PITA
Talk to your vet again and tell him what I said and see what he says. Lucky_P gave me some good advice about this.

I mentioned it he said your stuff is good they just prefer that stuff I pictured. I will see him Friday and see what he says. oh yea he also said give calves a shot of selenium and iron

skyhightree1":p3eaoj9d said:
I mentioned it he said your stuff is good they just prefer that stuff I pictured. I will see him Friday and see what he says. oh yea he also said give calves a shot of selenium and iron
On the map of selenium needs my area shows it is not deficient. I will check on the Iron also.

kenny thomas":1tqin2fr said:
Sky, viroshield is a very good product but remember they MUST be revacinated in 4-5 weeks. That is why I use an inter nasal modified live virus and dont have to get them back up for the booster. Same way with all the blackleg vaccines except Alpha 7.

Am I wrong on how I vaccinate, the instructions say to give a booster at 4 to 6 weeks and the annually. I take that as after the first shot and booster they only need one shot a year after that . I do it twice a year because it's cheap. I only give booster to calves that have gotten it for the first time. That is how we have always done it.

M5farm":1gehimio said:
kenny thomas":1gehimio said:

Am I wrong on how I vaccinate, the instructions say to give a booster at 4 to 6 weeks and the annually. I take that as after the first shot and booster they only need one shot a year after that . I do it twice a year because it's cheap. I only give booster to calves that have gotten it for the first time. That is how we have always done it.
We are just saying the same thing is a different way. First shot and then a booster in 4 weeks.

I believe it's if they are vaccinated before 6 months they need it again in the 4-6 weeks or roughly after they're 6 months of age. Then it's an annual thing unless you're really adding new cattle and stress. At the feedlot it's almost an every 70 thing for an IBR booster. Better safe than sorry.

The Inforce 3 seems wonderful on paper but it's "proper" application - 1cc per nostril - is a pita. I've heard of trials run on it where it was about a third as effective as the SQ shots. Anyone who's injected it up a nose and got a face full of it and snot in return can understand why it may not be as effective as it's touted to be.

M5farm":2edru4tc said:
But after the initial shot and booster the cows only need it once a year and no booster after that correct?

That's right. If your management practices are good and you aren't introducing a whole bunch of unknown, sketchy cattle than an annual booster is all that's required. Depending on the brands most are also fine in pregnant cows as long as they've been vaccinated with it before they were caught - which should be the case if it's an annual thing. Just make sure the initial vaccine is before they're exposed to a bull. I think most recommend 14 days.

Blaithin said:
I believe it's if they are vaccinated before 6 months they need it again in the 4-6 weeks or roughly after they're 6 months of age. Then it's an annual thing unless you're really adding new cattle and stress. At the feedlot it's almost an every 70 thing for an IBR booster. Better safe than sorry.

The Inforce 3 seems wonderful on paper but it's "proper" application - 1cc per nostril - is a pita. I've heard of trials run on it where it was about a third as effective as the SQ shots. Anyone who's injected it up a nose and got a face full of it and snot in return can understand why it may not be as effective as it's touted to be.[/quote
I am not saying its an easy way or that it is perfect but it sure works for me. With the size calf I buy I hold their head upright with one arm and squirt it in with the other. Some say 2cc in one nostral is just as good. I agree but read my signiture before trying anything I say.

Blaithin":3u7brwwv said:
M5farm":3u7brwwv said:
But after the initial shot and booster the cows only need it once a year and no booster after that correct?

That's right. If your management practices are good and you aren't introducing a whole bunch of unknown, sketchy cattle than an annual booster is all that's required. Depending on the brands most are also fine in pregnant cows as long as they've been vaccinated with it before they were caught - which should be the case if it's an annual thing. Just make sure the initial vaccine is before they're exposed to a bull. I think most recommend 14 days.
I use ultrabac 7 and virashield both are safe for pregnant cows. I give a shot of each to every thing twice a year spring and fall.

Farm manager was at a meeting a while back. Zoetis' main veterinarian said giving the full 2cc dose of Inforce-3 in one nostril was just as effective as split, 1cc in each nostril - and a lot easier.

Latest posts