Got A Job

Help Support CattleToday:

3way I'm glad it was the cat food cans and NOT the case of glass pickle jars I had in my hands that hit the floor.
Yeah I'm just going to ignore the comment.
I don't mind coming in early or staying late to help. Stayed late again tonight, had people buying groceries and only 2 guys were going to be there so just got the customers taken care of first.

I have freaked out so many of my neighbors.
Had fun asking people for their ID's today to buy booze. Some got a kick out of it, some just sighed. The ones who got the kick out of it were the funest, we laughed.
Picked on a friends son today told him good thing he took after his Dad and not his uncle. He laughed.

I work Monday, Friday and Saturday next week. Store is closed tomorrow for Easter.
It was busy today too, not as busy as yesterday but close.

Didn't matter who came through my line they got a smile, a thank you, a have a nice day and a how are you doing.
I could tell a lot them liked that.

I luv herfrds":aqb109lf said:
I work Monday, Friday and Saturday next week. Store is closed tomorrow for Easter.

Didn't matter who came through my line they got a smile, a thank you, a have a nice day and a how are you doing.
I could tell a lot them liked that.

You keep that attitude and you will have a very meaningful life. :clap:
It means so much more than most people realize. :nod:
You go girl. :tiphat:

IluvABbeef":6pmpdkpy said:
herfrds: LOL! Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do (or say) to get done right!

I got a recommendation from a fella that I'd been recently interviewed by that knows my family quite well that there was a job opening as a "bin person" (or something like that) at the local seed cleaning plant. Totally unexpected, I'll definitely have to follow up on that after Easter holidays.

Seems to be, even nowadays, not what you know but who you know! :)
Especially in small communities! Hope you get that job. :)

ALACOWMAN":3n5q9qwh said:
bigbull338":3n5q9qwh said:
ALACOWMAN":3n5q9qwh said:
good luck,,, i'll be losing mine here in a couple weeks... owner losing franchise,, GM want's new building.... he aint gonna build, cant blame him in this economy.. hope to draw my pennies a few months and take a welding course .. its time for a change, been working for dealers for 30 years
so GM is closing some of their dealerships.i bet they will get some1 to build a new building if they want a dealer in that town.our GM dealer got their dealership yanked after 60 or 70yrs.an GM found some1 to build a new dealer out on the highway.
this town has been losing factorys and businesses for the last few years... only a population on 2000 or less... and theres 2 bigger dealer north and south of here in bigger towns less than 20 miles once this one goes down its gone

The local unemployment agency daily lists 100-200 local jobs for even our little low population area...Everyone is going to the big money in the Bakken oil fields of ND/MT, leaving the local business's crying for truck drivers, mechanics, skilled and unskilled labor... Even McDonalds is having trouble finding help and running ads on the radio with special deals for help...In some areas you can make almost $20 an hour flipping burgers....The oil field wages are drawing in folks from not only all over the state but the whole country... And with all the oil field work the rail traffic has really picked up- and the railroads are hiring more and more...

And with all the thousands of oil field trucks running daily over the highways- highway construction is going to boom during the warm weather months just rebuilding/maintaining the roads...

The major problem is finding housing... Many in the oilfields are living in campers or mancamps.. Plans are in the works to build several new motels, housing areas and apartment complex's- and they are moving in prefab houses but those putting them up have been having trouble finding enough labor to do that even...And most these small town areas are having to add on water and sewer capacity to handle them...

Most of the rig workers down this way either live in the company supplied MHs or bring their camper and set it up in a park nearby. Motels and rental properties are out of the question as they gouge the he77 out of them or at least try to.

TB I heard there were guys in the oil fields who were paying for motel rooms in other towns just in case the oil boom moves that way. Camp grounds are full and the prices for apartments has forced some long term residents out.

Heard guys are making good money. If I was male and single I would head that way for a job.

OT I have been seeing a lot of Help Wanted signs going up around Great Falls. Lots of trouble's with the boom.

I haven't worked in over 3 years,but I still have people say they miss me.. That's because(I think)
I always had a smile for everyone,knew where things were in the store and could either tell them where or find someone else who could,and I wasn't talking to the bagger or the next person in line..
It doesn't matter what the job is,it's important to the person you're doing it for..

I luv herfrds":2ruy0djv said:
TB I heard there were guys in the oil fields who were paying for motel rooms in other towns just in case the oil boom moves that way. Camp grounds are full and the prices for apartments has forced some long term residents out.

Heard guys are making good money. If I was male and single I would head that way for a job.

OT I have been seeing a lot of Help Wanted signs going up around Great Falls. Lots of trouble's with the boom.
Oh they make great money but the smart ones are not going to waste it on an overpriced apt. or motel room.

I'm starting to get some regulars.

Have one older gentleman who has trouble walking, well he does not like accepting help to take his groceries out. Well today I told him I get to help him take his groceries out. He tried to refuse and I told him I get to win this time and next time he gets to win. :lol2: I just didn't tell him he was not going to win at all. i'm always going to help him.

Out of everyone who works in the store I gotta say there are 2 people who have negative attitudes. I'm just staying away from them.
One guy I just didn't know what to think of him, but he is just a real quiet type, but I found out if I start asking him questions and such he starts opening up.

ran into a guy I had not really seen since last year, he didn't reconize me! :lol2: :lol2:
Then a lady I know was shocked too.
Another guy I met quite some time ago didn't reconize me either. It was rather funny.

The days just seem to be flying by. One person told me that there just does not seem to be a lot of work to be done. I have to disagree. I asked about sweeping the foors. Can even wash the glass doors, there is always something to do, just gotta know what to get done.

Glad you are enjoying your new job, and it sounds like you are being a "customer service" person.

ILH, be careful here . . . .
Out of everyone who works in the store I gotta say there are 2 people who have negative attitudes. I'm just staying away from them.
One guy I just didn't know what to think of him, but he is just a real quiet type, but I found out if I start asking him questions and such he starts opening up.

This is just my personal opinion, from personal experience . . . Don't start looking for the not-quite-right things in your shop or opinions about them. You are the new kid on the block -- one week in service. Sit back. Watch. If you see things that need to be done, do them, but don't whisper that someone else didn't do it, except to the person that should have done it. Be quiet about that, for now. Don't try to pick everyone's brain about how things could be better done, or who's doing what, or who isn't. Sit back . . . . .

Kathie I have been a regular customer to this store for years. I have seen clerks come and go. My supervisor is the only one who has been there the longest.
One of the negatives said that it is just a boring job, nothing to do except for delivery day. I said nothing. I thought it but kept my mouth shut.
You can tell just from their body language that they don't want to be there. Believe me if I could see that months ago as a customer, you know other customers see it too.
There was a clerk that worked there back in '97-'98. I had gone in and filled my cart with groceries. Around $250.00 worth. There was only one checker, they finally got this guy to come up front to help; now we can use any till; I was at till 2 and he went past me to till 3 and started helping other people and smirked at me. I walked out the door leaving that basket sitting there. I did not got back for months. When I did finally go back the owner asked me what happened. I told her. That clerk was fired.
Customers are the business. If there is a poor attitude or anything like that the customers won't come in.

I'm not looking to see what they haven't done but am looking for things that need to be done. We do the milk at 10am and 4pm. Do the pop and dairy between that time. Check the beer case and stock it if we have it. Face shelves. Stock the sale items.
I was asking last night who sweeps the floor. Was told the owners will come in after hours and do it. I was going to start but some customers came in so that was put on hold.
Just trying to do it like they are doing it. It is not my place to make suggestions for changes, everything is working.

This is the only place I'm talking about it.
I like staying busy, it is part of my nature.

Small towns talk. When I was hired on the 2nd I only told 3 people. When my boss got home that night his son mentioned that he had heard I got hired to work there. So you can see why I'm not talking with anyone around there nor on FB.

hillsdown":4utjej8y said:
Facing and cleaning shelves is always a never ending job ,but it sure makes the store look sharp . :D
I guess that is like planting temporary pasture, garden, corn, etc. In a little while you have to do it all again.
But it is sure nice to look at when growing well.

Come to think of it, sorta like shaving. Pretty soon it has to be repeated. But sure does make me look sharp. :D :nod:
(Note to all you prim and propers out there: This is not hijacking. :x It is in keeping with the theme.)

Ryder":29w0fqv1 said:
hillsdown":29w0fqv1 said:
Facing and cleaning shelves is always a never ending job ,but it sure makes the store look sharp . :D
I guess that is like planting temporary pasture, garden, corn, etc. In a little while you have to do it all again.
But it is sure nice to look at when growing well.

Come to think of it, sorta like shaving. Pretty soon it has to be repeated. But sure does make me look sharp. :D :nod:
(Note to all you prim and propers out there: This is not hijacking. :x It is in keeping with the theme.)

I am sure it is very much appreciated by your wife as well Ryder . :nod:

Having been in management for many years of a large retail grocery store chain I must admit that my employees were never bored. If they were standing around I always found something for them to do . ;-)

hillsdown":39ajozow said:

When i was in school, I worked at a grocery store. Every night the manager would let us leave the whole store had to be faced. For years after I quit the store I would catch myself facing shelves whenever I shopped.

Latest posts