Got A Job

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
I talked with my hubby and with the cost of everything going up and the want to get into our new house I went into town and got a part time job.
Our local grocery store had a sign up for both full time and part time work. I applied for the part time since I will be busy when my milk cow calves and helping daughter with her 4-H.

I went in yesterday to ask about the job. We know the family that owns the store. Must say I surprised them when I asked. I start training tomorrow and will be on probation for 6 months and at the end of that time it will let us both know if I want to continue working there and if they want me to continue there.
Right now I'm trying to change my sleep schedule from night calving to normal sleep, not working too well. :lol2:

good luck,,, i'll be losing mine here in a couple weeks... owner losing franchise,, GM want's new building.... he aint gonna build, cant blame him in this economy.. hope to draw my pennies a few months and take a welding course .. its time for a change, been working for dealers for 30 years

ALACOWMAN":1l9l2jj2 said:
good luck,,, i'll be losing mine here in a couple weeks... owner losing franchise,, GM want's new building.... he aint gonna build, cant blame him in this economy.. hope to draw my pennies a few months and take a welding course .. its time for a change, been working for dealers for 30 years
so GM is closing some of their dealerships.i bet they will get some1 to build a new building if they want a dealer in that town.our GM dealer got their dealership yanked after 60 or 70yrs.an GM found some1 to build a new dealer out on the highway.

I guess that explains why our Chevy dealer just went through a major makeover. Everyone wondered what could possibly make him spend a dollar on his place.

bigbull338":1bo581lc said:
ALACOWMAN":1bo581lc said:
so GM is closing some of their dealerships.i bet they will get some1 to build a new building if they want a dealer in that town.our GM dealer got their dealership yanked after 60 or 70yrs.an GM found some1 to build a new dealer out on the highway.
this town has been losing factorys and businesses for the last few years... only a population on 2000 or less... and theres 2 bigger dealer north and south of here in bigger towns less than 20 miles once this one goes down its gone

Thanks Kathie. I am really surprised I got hired right away. I heard that several people had put in applications. Guess with my age *cough cough* and the fact that I buy a majority of my groceries there might have helped. I also know all the workers there. They were pretty happy to hear I was being hired.

I have seen a lot of help wanted signs around, more then I have in the last few years. A lot of fast food places are hiring and I saw that the Ashley furniture store that closed a few years ago is re-opening and hiring.

Bigbull I hope not too. Hope to put some of that money into getting sheet rock.

ALACOWMAN":25lc0uts said:
Sorry about your job loss, AlaCowman -- but looking at "the cup half-full," if you're ready for a change, and this gives you the opportunity, that might be a good thing at the right time. Will you be eligible for re-training benefits (not my business, but it would be nice if you were.) ?

Kathie in Thorp":2576ev3d said:
ALACOWMAN":2576ev3d said:
Sorry about your job loss, AlaCowman -- but looking at "the cup half-full," if you're ready for a change, and this gives you the opportunity, that might be a good thing at the right time. Will you be eligible for re-training benefits (not my business, but it would be nice if you were.) ?
from what i understand i can, when a business is closing... i dont want to go back into the dealership end of the automoble industry

Sorry to hear about your headache Ala, good luck and stay focused. These are truly tough times my thoughts are with you.

Alan

mY WIFE HAS BEEN BETWEEN JOBS FOR A WHILE.
She is working now.....
but filling out job applications has been a bear.....
everything other than a mom and pop operation has their aplication process on line and it takes hours to do every application cause there is usually some testing involved as well.

I have done so many for the wife that I now can do them better if she is not looking over my shoulder. She does not have the patience for it and starts to blame me.

Congrats Herfrds. I'm still in the job-looking and trying-for-interviews process and so far so not good. It's tough looking for jobs when all there is is jobs for oil riggin', truckers and RN's.

I may just have to take a job at a local grocer as a cashier or something similar for a while too at this rate...but we'll see, there's always something that comes up that's not posted on Indeed...

IluvABbeef":niu06b3p said:
Congrats Herfrds. I'm still in the job-looking and trying-for-interviews process and so far so not good. It's tough looking for jobs when all there is is jobs for oil riggin', truckers and RN's.

I may just have to take a job at a local grocer as a cashier or something similar for a while too at this rate...but we'll see, there's always something that comes up that's not posted on Indeed...
I PM'd you. "Sell yourself" in your apps, but I don't know what your job market is there. :) Chin up! :nod:

Got pretty interesting today.
Had a guy who is leaving try to help me do a transaction today.
I was doing fine until he just kept yapping in my ear. I got mixed up on punching keys then I got the wrong number and charged the wrong account. It was crazy. I finally lost it and told him to be quiet and leave me alone.
The customer looked at me and asked if there was an anger issue. Told him no it was a fustration issue.

The guy stayed away from me for the rest of the day.

Right at the end of my shift we had quite a few customers come in. I ended up staying an extra 30 minutes ringing up customers purchases.

herfrds: LOL! Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do (or say) to get done right!

I got a recommendation from a fella that I'd been recently interviewed by that knows my family quite well that there was a job opening as a "bin person" (or something like that) at the local seed cleaning plant. Totally unexpected, I'll definitely have to follow up on that after Easter holidays.

Seems to be, even nowadays, not what you know but who you know! :)

Had a nice little older lady say something to me yesterday and I am wondering if I should pass the comment on to my bosses.
The guy who was yapping in my ear shows up wearing these knee length shorts to work, well this lady said it looked very bad for him to be there looking like that.
I figured I should not show up for work looking grubby, so every morning I put on make-up and make sure I am wearing a shirt that is clean and has no stains or anything wrong with it.

This guy is leaving shortly so I'm not sure I should say anything, nobody else wears shorts while working.

Was very busy today.
Lesson 1 DO NOT SHOW UP EARLY!!!
As soon as I walked through the door 10 minutes before my shift my bossed grabbed me to go make sure we got all the cigrettes in the shipment.
I finally got clocked in and we were unloading pallets.

Lesson 2 UNLOAD FROM TOP!
I dropped a case of cat food and dented all the cans.

Lesson 3 DOUBLE CHECK AMOUNT ENTERED!
I did a big oops but it got corrected. I was making change for a $3.00 purchase with a $20.00 bill and punched in too many zeros.
The change came out to $20,016.93.
I started laughing. It was only thing I could do. Both my boss and supervisor were laughing with me.
Couldn't believe I did that!

Latest posts