GOSH DARN JURY DUTY! HELP?

Help Support CattleToday:

jasonleonard

Reaction score
I get nailed every year or so to report for jury duty. So far I have been able to shake their advances each time.
I run some family owned businesses with my mother who is in her late 60's. We have farms, sawmills, logging operations, rental properties, and some trucking and coal and railroad- lumber supply obligations.
I have pleaded with the jury commissioner that I have too many irons in the fire, and he should get his quota of jurors at the local assistance and unemployment office!!!!!!!!!
This latest request to report has a threat of jail time. I think I will just report to jail, but first layoff my men and call a local news station!
Help! How do you all shake jury duty??

T shirt with white power on the front and new black panthers on the back. Or just tell them he/ she is guilty when they ask your name.

If I am called I will be kicked out quickly because they don't like to use people that had an L.E. background. They want your average citizen.

Hey Denver, good to see you are still alive on CT! I heard that there was some trouble on here today and some posters quit the boards. I thought maybe it was you, my friend! You aren't shy with your opinions sometimes!

skyhightree1":2shi61xt said:
If I am called I will be kicked out quickly because they don't like to use people that had an L.E. background. They want your average citizen.
Me either, there is no possible way I would make it.

jasonleonard":b6uxpxf9 said:
I get nailed every year or so to report for jury duty. So far I have been able to shake their advances each time.
I run some family owned businesses with my mother who is in her late 60's. We have farms, sawmills, logging operations, rental properties, and some trucking and coal and railroad- lumber supply obligations.
I have pleaded with the jury commissioner that I have too many irons in the fire, and he should get his quota of jurors at the local assistance and unemployment office!!!!!!!!!
This latest request to report has a threat of jail time. I think I will just report to jail, but first layoff my men and call a local news station!
Help! How do you all shake jury duty??
I don't. I've never even considered shirking my jury duty or other civil responsibility even when I was a single parent raising 4 kids. Been on district court jury duty several times-the most recent for 7 days straight. (yes, we were impounded on Sunday)
I realize you are a busy man and all that, but consider this.
You, wind up in court some day as a defendant. Civil--criminal--your fault, some one else's fault, no one's fault--it doesn't matter. It happens.
Do you really want YOUR "jury of your peers" to be from the unemployment and assistance office? Probably not. At least show up for the pool selection process--maybe you won't get picked and even if you do get picked as part of the sub-pool for a specific case, there's still the chance you won't "survive" the voir dire

The process works like this:
The entire potential jury pool is assembled. It may be hundreds of potential jurors. A presiding judge usually asks if anyone has a verifiable "excuse" for not continuing in the process. After those are weeded out, there are usually several cases that are on docket for that time period--some civil-some criminal. The pool is narrowed down to about 25 potentials for each case, and the groups separated. The voir dire begins for each case, presided over by a judge. Attorney for each side asks each potential juror certain questions. Depending on the answers, the attorneys yay or nay that particular person. If selected, as a joror or alternate, you stay--otherwise you go home, unless your district specifies you go to another case's voir dire.

jasonleonard":3hrnsv9u said:
Hey Denver, good to see you are still alive on CT! I heard that there was some trouble on here today and some posters quit the boards. I thought maybe it was you, my friend! You aren't shy with your opinions sometimes!
I doubt anyone really quit. I'm still here for the reason I started, cattle and trying to help anyone I can. I just get involved in some of the non cattle stuff when something really strikes me as seriously wrong, or when someone wants an opinion on something like this.

I've been called for local jury duty but have been excused because of health. Got called for federal jury duty but this year but the doc wrote a letter and got me excused again.
How says that having health problems is all bad?

Jury duty is a privilege.
I have been called in on many pools from capital murder to common theft.
Accepting our responsibility is what makes the system work.

Caustic Burno":2kajzm7f said:

What I feel bad about people accepting there responsibility is some people are struggling and the lil bit of money isn't what a person truly gets paid and they are barely hanging on in life this could put them way behind. In alot of cases people don't want to be there cause they want to be making their normal wages and will vote whatever way gets them home and out of jury duty quicker if people that aren't salaried got paid what they make for working im sure there would be an influx of volunteerism to be on jury duty :lol:

skyhightree1":2v40h93i said:
Caustic Burno":2v40h93i said:

What I feel bad about people accepting there responsibility is some people are struggling and the lil bit of money isn't what a person truly gets paid and they are barely hanging on in life this could put them way behind. In alot of cases people don't want to be there cause they want to be making their normal wages and will vote whatever way gets them home and out of jury duty quicker if people that aren't salaried got paid what they make for working im sure there would be an influx of volunteerism to be on jury duty :lol:

I missed most of deer season over one case.

Caustic Burno":2yh36kjp said:
skyhightree1":2yh36kjp said:
Caustic Burno":2yh36kjp said:

I missed most of deer season over one case.

I would have been dismissed from jury duty because they would see a grown man cry everyday I was there and think I had severe mental depression which would be true but a jury induced depression. :lol:

I have always served when called. Only selected for a jury once and they settled before the case was turned over to us.
Thinking about it now, I wonder how I would get my cows fed if a jury was sequestered?
Someone has to put out 4 rolls a day and feed the calves.

When being questioned by the lawyers for the two sides during jury selection, I found that getting in an argument with one of the lawyers made them reject me from being on the jury.
I can't imagine why. :roll:

Latest posts