Gooseneck trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven said:
This is not advice but I just bought one. A 2018 16 foot Featherlite. The dealer just got it back in. It looks absolutely brand new. It does have a stain on the floor toward the front of the cabin (I call it a cabin because it looks nice enough to sleep in). Must have stored something corrosive on the floor. It was power washed before display but it doesn't look like he hauled cattle in it. The dang thing is so pretty, it is going to be a challenge to get it dirty. It is like pulling a giant trophy around that you got for winning a Hog Calling Contest at the county fair.

That's a nice trailer Ron, I am sure it will stand up to whatever you dish out to plus a lot more. My motto when I fabricate things is that "light is good". Too often poor design is compensated by heavier steel.

Ken

:banana:
wbvs58 said:
Bright Raven said:
This is not advice but I just bought one. A 2018 16 foot Featherlite. The dealer just got it back in. It looks absolutely brand new. It does have a stain on the floor toward the front of the cabin (I call it a cabin because it looks nice enough to sleep in). Must have stored something corrosive on the floor. It was power washed before display but it doesn't look like he hauled cattle in it. The dang thing is so pretty, it is going to be a challenge to get it dirty. It is like pulling a giant trophy around that you got for winning a Hog Calling Contest at the county fair.

That's a nice trailer Ron, I am sure it will stand up to whatever you dish out to plus a lot more. My motto when I fabricate things is that "light is good". Too often poor design is compensated by heavier steel.

Ken

Thank you. I like aluminum. It is now used in the Ford Pickup I have. I notice my mileage is better with the same engine that was in my 2014 F250.

Bfields30 said:
20ft 24ft Or 28ft don't need anything super fancy will be using mostly to take to sale or vet most times but I'm leaning towards 24 ft but don't know how many full grown cows can fit on one. Will use to go pickup cows couple hrs max from my place as well. Looking for advice on what guys think i should look into?
I have a 16 foot WW gooseneck. Maybe pull it one or two times a year. I always sell at the Winnsboro Livestock Auction. Owner charges me $50 to pick up a load of calves or cows. If I was buying again I would buy a 16 foot bumper the 16 foot gooseneck is a pain for me to back up it gets out of the mirrors view pretty quickly. Has anyone installed one of the sway bars on the bumper pulls that the RV users use.

sstterry said:
Nesikep said:
Just wash it out, that's all it needs.

Our roads are crap
https://youtu.be/X9ct4gdMHu4

I sure hope you don't meet someone else coming the opposite direction on that road!!! :D :hide:
happens all the time... and just with the timing of when I go to town, I seem to meet the school bus on a particularly bad stretch!

jltrent said:
I have this one as it lets a lot of air in, but is all I need.. It is 20' long and I usually load it not over 7k as I would rather make two trips as to stuff. I gave $6500 for it and when I got it home I took one of the back brake drums off and the pads are probably 75% or more..

BhBjWKl.jpg

About how many cows fit in there?

Bright Raven said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:
Bright Raven said:
I am not going to use it anyway. I just like looking at it. I might pull it around on holidays.
LOL! Are you sure you're not attempting to fit in the show ring crowd? Seriously though, I'm sure you will care for it well and not beat it to shyte, so it should hold up just fine for you. Keep it clean when not in use, splurge for an occasional acid bath, and don't over-load it!

I have a relatively light duty need for a trailer. Mostly delivery of one or two head, all on good surface. That is why I went with the 16 foot.

I would like to ask you, is there anything that I should use to protect the floor? Is the acid bath a protectant?
Just wash it when you are done with it. Urine and fecal residue will corrode aluminum if left to sit. A good acid bath just takes of scum and road grime. Up here, since they salt roads with brine during the winter, acid is a must to remove the salt residue.

Boot Jack Bulls said:
Bright Raven said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:
LOL! Are you sure you're not attempting to fit in the show ring crowd? Seriously though, I'm sure you will care for it well and not beat it to shyte, so it should hold up just fine for you. Keep it clean when not in use, splurge for an occasional acid bath, and don't over-load it!

I have a relatively light duty need for a trailer. Mostly delivery of one or two head, all on good surface. That is why I went with the 16 foot.

I would like to ask you, is there anything that I should use to protect the floor? Is the acid bath a protectant?
Just wash it when you are done with it. Urine and fecal residue will corrode aluminum if left to sit. A good acid bath just takes of scum and road grime. Up here, since they salt roads with brine during the winter, acid is a must to remove the salt residue.

BJB, do you mix your own acid or take it somewhere?

midTN_Brangusman said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:
Bright Raven said:

BJB, do you mix your own acid or take it somewhere?
Both lol! The fancy show trailer just got a professional detailing done for the fall, it won't see the highway again until we head to Denver in January. Regular stock trailers get an acid bath at home a couple of times a year, pressure washed and interior bleach soaking after every run.

We have a 24' gooseneck brand pipe trailer. For weaning I haul everything home very short trips. Last week we put 12 big spring calving cows on each load. If go far 10 would be a nice load. I like to haul 15 750 calves to a load. Imho 24 is the right size for a farmer. With a crew cab or cab and half you can still get in most anywhere. 3 cuts is awesome over 2. With a straight cab truck 28 would still handy i guess.

littletom said:
We have a 24' gooseneck brand pipe trailer. For weaning I haul everything home very short trips. Last week we put 12 big spring calving cows on each load. If go far 10 would be a nice load. I like to haul 15 750 calves to a load. Imho 24 is the right size for a farmer. With a crew cab or cab and half you can still get in most anywhere. 3 cuts is awesome over 2. With a straight cab truck 28 would still handy i guess.
I got a deal on a 24 at trailer place 24x6 for 2500 it was a trade in this week and going to prolly buy it tomorrow lights work needs a paint job but it's useable

I want to get the inside of my trailer redone with new wood. Any advice on how and what's best way to do it. It's a 1999 never been replaced still useable as is but would want to modernize it lol.

Bfields30 said:
I want to get the inside of my trailer redone with new wood. Any advice on how and what's best way to do it. It's a 1999 never been replaced still useable as is but would want to modernize it lol. How much does it cost for new wood and people to do it for you. 24x6'8

Bfields30 said:
Bfields30 said:
I want to get the inside of my trailer redone with new wood. Any advice on how and what's best way to do it. It's a 1999 never been replaced still useable as is but would want to modernize it lol. How much does it cost for new wood and people to do it for you. 24x6'8
Go by Temple Trailer Sales and check with Larry Joe. Location a few miles south of Sulphur Springs on Highway 154

hurleyjd said:
Bfields30 said:
Bfields30 said:
Go by Temple Trailer Sales and check with Larry Joe. Location a few miles south of Sulphur Springs on Highway 154
thanks will do

Latest posts