Gooseneck trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
20ft 24ft Or 28ft don't need anything super fancy will be using mostly to take to sale or vet most times but I'm leaning towards 24 ft but don't know how many full grown cows can fit on one. Will use to go pickup cows couple hrs max from my place as well. Looking for advice on what guys think i should look into?

Bfields30 said:
20ft 24ft Or 28ft don't need anything super fancy will be using mostly to take to sale or vet most times but I'm leaning towards 24 ft but don't know how many full grown cows can fit on one. Will use to go pickup cows couple hrs max from my place as well. Looking for advice on what guys think i should look into?

Old feller told me to get a length that is a multiple of 8'..... 16,24,32

TexasBred said:
Bfields30 said:

how many cows can fit in 24 can 10- 12 at time fit ?

Bfields30 said:
TexasBred said:
Bfields30 said:

Don't know that I've ever stuffed one to capacity but got 12, 800 lb. Brangus heifers in a 16' a couple of years ago so you should be able to get 8-9 mature cows in a 24 I would think depending on their size I reckon.

If it is 6-8 wide they will hold about 500 lbs per linear foot. That is riding with them somewhat confortable and not crammed in there. So 24' will hold ten 1200 lb cows.

Bfields30 said:
TexasBred said:
Bfields30 said:

A 24' will hold 12,000 pounds. I have crammed close to 14,000 in mine. I have days I wish I had went for a 28' with 3 axles. I wouldn't go smaller than 24'. You get two cut gates at 24'. Most 20' don't have 2.

Bigfoot said:
Bfields30 said:
TexasBred said:

A 24' will hold 12,000 pounds. I have crammed close to 14,000 in mine. I have days I wish I had went for a 28' with 3 axles. I wouldn't go smaller than 24'. You get two cut gates at 24'. Most 20' don't have 2.
Bigfoot what's a good price range for a 24 ft and 28 ft in decent condition

It's all about the width when hauling cows. It also depends if your a cram them in person or if you like to put a few in each section.

24s are convenient and you can whip in and around a lot of places. I've taken 24s thru fast food drive thrus. I'm not a fan of the 28 unless you pack dogs or some thing else and want a few extra feet. If the 24 is not big enough I would go to a 32 triple axle.

My dream all around trailer is an aluminum with bars (not livestock), triple axle, trailer. I borrow a few from time to time and like them every time.

Brute 23 said:
It's all about the width when hauling cows. It also depends if your a cram them in person or if you like to put a few in each section.

24s are convenient and you can whip in and around a lot of places. I've taken 24s thru fast food drive thrus. I'm not a fan of the 28 unless you pack dogs or some thing else and want a few extra feet. If the 24 is not big enough I would go to a 32 triple axle.

My dream all around trailer is an aluminum with bars (not livestock), triple axle, trailer. I borrow a few from time to time and like them every time.
Yeah I have a Kearney place close by my house debating on going there know there trailers are nice but expensive was going to see if they had any used ones. Might check Facebook see if I can find any 24 ft 6'8 32 ft 6'8for a decent price.

Bfields30 said:
Bigfoot said:
Bfields30 said:

Bigfoot what's a good price range for a 24 ft and 28 ft in decent condition

I had steel trailers for years. My last couple of trailers have been aluminum. I'm thinking aluminum is all I'll have from here on in. $9,000 to 14,000. Saw a really nice newer model 26' on facebook for 14k this morning.

we got an aluminum 7x20ft Wilson last year, 1 divider, 14K torflex axles, It's a nice trailer, tows really nice.. 1990 model that was well taken care of, except for some hail damage on the roof... Paid 7K USD and drove to south dakota to get it (Carl's trailers sales)
It was a bit oxidized when we got it, spent a couple hours with a really good cleaner and lots of elbow grease, looks pretty sharp now.. It's running on 16.5" rims, tires are still good, but I'll probably go with 16" and put 14plys on it when they get worn out (or rotted out since I don't use it much)..

I had a 16'x7' cattle gooseneck for years and I had 9k on it several times, but wouldn't want to haul them far that packed. I can put 10k on my current 20'. I would rather make two trips anymore than to overpack. As mention above probably put 12k on a 24' and I would say on a 28' close to 14k.

Nesikep said:
we got an aluminum 7x20ft Wilson last year, 1 divider, 14K torflex axles, It's a nice trailer, tows really nice.. 1990 model that was well taken care of, except for some hail damage on the roof... Paid 7K USD and drove to south dakota to get it (Carl's trailers sales)
It was a bit oxidized when we got it, spent a couple hours with a really good cleaner and lots of elbow grease, looks pretty sharp now.. It's running on 16.5" rims, tires are still good, but I'll probably go with 16" and put 14plys on it when they get worn out (or rotted out since I don't use it much)..

Some silver spray paint on the hubs would really help as the rest of the trailer looks nice...

Yeah, at some point I'll do the rims and hubs.. Not a high priority right now, maybe when I have to take the hubs off and check brakes or something.

Bfields30 said:

24 ft 6'8 I'm looking at and 20ft one is 10,600 and the other is 9,500 both brand new dealer contacted me today said there willing to take few hundred off if I come in soon Tex line brand I know if I buy new I'll prolly keep it forever I just don't know if I should buy new.

Bfields30 said:

24 ft 6'8 I'm looking at and 20ft one is 10,600 and the other is 9,500 both brand new dealer contacted me today said there willing to take few hundred off if I come in soon Tex line brand I know if I buy new I'll prolly keep it forever I just don't know if I should buy new.

I'd go for a used aluminum trailer in decent shape before a new steel trailer.. 10 years down the road you'll probably have much less depreciation than on the steel one
An acid wash like I did on mine and Voila!, it looks like new again.

Latest posts