Good movies or shows for Kids?

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Been filling my Blockbuster online order forms with movies I remembered from my child hood that I thought kids might like.

Any suggestions on past old movies or shows that you loved in your youth but kids might still enjoy?

Nice thing about Blockbuster online is they have some good selections of the oldies you can rent.

So far they have liked Top Gun movie, they had never seen Gilligan's Island but loved them shows they also liked old Happy Days shows. Got them some old Legion of Superhero cartoons. Just put Groundhogs day on the list.

Going to look for some old Westerns like Bonanza.

What do you suggest?

There's a recent "My Friend Flicka" movie. I don't know of it's on DVD yet, but you could look for it. Tim McGraw starred in it, I think.

Frankie":j0ol9orx said:
There's a recent "My Friend Flicka" movie. I don't know of it's on DVD yet, but you could look for it. Tim McGraw starred in it, I think.

Good suggestion we went to the movies to see that, have to go see all the horse movies when they come out for the daughter!

Trying to think of old shows from say my era the 80's maybe some 70's shows.

aplusmnt":34li4fpm said:
Been filling my Blockbuster online order forms with movies I remembered from my child hood that I thought kids might like.

Any suggestions on past old movies or shows that you loved in your youth but kids might still enjoy?

Nice thing about Blockbuster online is they have some good selections of the oldies you can rent.

So far they have liked Top Gun movie, they had never seen Gilligan's Island but loved them shows they also liked old Happy Days shows. Got them some old Legion of Superhero cartoons. Just put Groundhogs day on the list.

Going to look for some old Westerns like Bonanza.

What do you suggest?
I'm so shaded when looking at movies, I wouldn't let my kids watch all those that you already enjoy. You can't beat the lone ranger though. It's ALWAYS clean and never makes parents look stupid, etc.

aplusmnt":2pmxj2pq said:
Frankie":2pmxj2pq said:

Good suggestion we went to the movies to see that, have to go see all the horse movies when they come out for the daughter!

Trying to think of old shows from say my era the 80's maybe some 70's shows.

Old Yeller is a classic. The Black Stallion. If they like that one, it might encourge them to read the books.

Haven't seen Shane in 20 years forgot all about it, just added it to my Blockbuster list.

Also found Bonanza season 1 and 2. And did not know there was a movie Bonanza the next generation, have to see what it is about.

Interesting fact of Bonanza I never knew, it was the first hour long western TV show to be broadcast in color.

Man From Snowy River 1 & 2

True Grit

Man I think I need to start a list myself!

I am an old fat guy with what hair that is left well past the grey stage - second childhood???

A pretty girl will turn my head, but I am well past needing the T & A to entertain me at the movies.

Bez>

Frankie":1bqgw4jq said:
Old Yeller is a classic. The Black Stallion. If they like that one, it might encourge them to read the books.

Excellent suggestions. I cried like a baby when I read Old Yeller as a child. Read the whole Black Stallion series, too. I'll try to think of some more.

Bez>":3785cnl1 said:
Man From Snowy River 1 & 2

True Grit

Man I think I need to start a list myself!

I am an old fat guy with what hair that is left well past the grey stage - second childhood???

A pretty girl will turn my head, but I am well past needing the T & A to entertain me at the movies.

Bez>

Man from Snowy River is one of the first movies me and my wife saw as a couple. It is still one of our all time favorite movies ever!

We also liked "They call me Trinity"

When I was a kid My favorite book was "Where the red fern grows" I have told my Grandsons the story since they were babies. I finally found the movie and they say it is their favorite all time movie. Not as good as the book of course :lol:

if your daughter likes horse shows....do you have Black Beauty series, they were my all time favourite as a little girl. Not a bad word or violance ever. and 'In Search of the Castaways' with Hayley Mills another clean cut movie. Mr Ed was a good show.

Old black and wite - English setting - steeplechase movie - anyone remember the name. Elizabeth Taylor starred in it as a child.

Cannot remember the name - anyone help here?

Another - cannot remember - but it is a classic. The fellow is thrown in prison and escapes by switching himself with his friend who has died - and when sewn into the canvas bag is tossed over a cliff. Goes and finds a treasure and comes back to his home town a rich man - set in the 1600's - driving me crazy - but an excellent movie - my kids loved it AND the book.

Anyone help here?

Lassie series and movies. Especially the black and whites.

All Things Great and Small veterinarian - series (loved it) and movie.

Shoot, I could sit in front of the boob tube for months if you folks keep this up!! :D

Bez>

Aplus, since you are into showing calves you and your family might enjoy " Grand Champion" if I recall the name correctly.

Good clean movie.

Bez>":1nhvzqh6 said:
Old black and wite - English setting - steeplechase movie - anyone remember the name. Elizabeth Taylor starred in it as a child.

Another - cannot remember - but it is a classic. The fellow is thrown in prison and escapes by switching himself with his friend who has died - and when sewn into the canvas bag is tossed over a cliff. Goes and finds a treasure and comes back to his home town a rich man - set in the 1600's - driving me crazy - but an excellent movie - my kids loved it AND the book.

Anyone help here?

Shoot, I could sit in front of the boob tube for months if you folks keep this up!! :D

Bez>

National Velvet is the first one(I think). Can't help on the second one.

Apulsmtn - are you close to where the Gorillas are? If so, are the turkeys out and acting "silly" on all the state ground? If so, just might have to head up that way asap!

"Because of Winn Dixie" isn't an old movie but definately family friendly.

Fly-guy

VanC":1q9qgo7q said:
Bez>":1q9qgo7q said:

Anyone help here?

Bez>

National Velvet is the first one(I think). Can't help on the second one.

National Velvet it is! Thnx.

One down and one to go.

Bez>

Do they have the 'Fury' series on vhs/cd? 'International Velvet' is good. Almost any of the 'Benji' movies, 'Wilderness Family' - parts one & two, 'Across the Continental Divide', 'My Friend Flicka', 'The Black Stallion' - movie and series, didn't they make a 'King of the Wind' movie? 'Cat Ballou', 'Texas Across the River', 'The Rifleman', can't think of any more right now.