Good morning

Help Support CattleToday:

If you have never done this before I would suggest you spend the cash and get a veterinarian to do it for you.

Once you learn it is easy but if you have never done it before you could cause some serious damage.

Or call a neighbor in to do it for you.

Cheers

Nuakerprel said:
How long do my posts have to be approved for?
This is crazy!?!?

Until I am satisfied your not a spammer or troll.

I see that

Operation? Medical? Thats getting a little personal!

Were in the foothills of the Rockies. Whats with the 20 questions?!?!

Nuakerprel said:
I see that

Operation? Medical? Thats getting a little personal!

Were in the foothills of the Rockies. Whats with the 20 questions?!?!

It is pretty simple. How big is the calf? Small enough to man handle fairly easily? if it is too big to handle either get an experienced person or the vet.
Tie its head to a post. Preferably in a corner but along a fence will work. One person put a leg against its side and mash it against the fence. Same person grab the tail and lift up. Put some upward pressure on that tail. Person #2 goes behind the calf. With a sharp knife cut off the bottom third of the sack. Get a hold of a nut and pull straight down. Keep pulling until it breaks loose. Repeat on the second nut. There will be some small cords hanging down. Pull them out as far as possible and cut them off (usually wrap around the finger to pull). Spray with a disinfectant. Turn it loose.
I am not a vet but that is how a vet taught me over 50 years ago. Since then I have cut thousands of calves.

What Dave said. As a "rule of thumb" I usually measure how much of the sack I am going to cut off with my thumbnail. I place the bottom of my thumbnail on the edge of the sack and slice where the tip of my thumb was resting farther up. Most of the time you'll find two without much trouble, but every now and then you may have to do a little exploring.

Make sure you pull them out to instead of cutting with a sharp knife. I believe pulling the cords helps it stop bleeding faster. Be ready when you start pulling, my experience is that is when they fight back the most (although sometimes it goes down smoothly).

For a disinfectant I use the silver aluminum spray from my feed store. I spray it thoroughly in and around the opening.

It is a good idea to have someone around who has done it before in case you need to do some exploring, but it's not something that takes a long time to get accustomed to doing.

Dave said:
It is pretty simple. How big is the calf? Small enough to man handle fairly easily? if it is too big to handle either get an experienced person or the vet.
Tie its head to a post. Preferably in a corner but along a fence will work. One person put a leg against its side and mash it against the fence. Same person grab the tail and lift up. Put some upward pressure on that tail. Person #2 goes behind the calf. With a sharp knife cut off the bottom third of the sack. Get a hold of a nut and pull straight down. Keep pulling until it breaks loose. Repeat on the second nut. There will be some small cords hanging down. Pull them out as far as possible and cut them off (usually wrap around the finger to pull). Spray with a disinfectant. Turn it loose.
I am not a vet but that is how a vet taught me over 50 years ago. Since then I have cut thousands of calves.

or put it on the ground, tie three legs

Hippie Rancher said:
Dave said:

or put it on the ground, tie three legs

Or stretched between two horses. Or in a calf table. Or on the ground with someone kneeling on the neck holding a front leg while another person is sitting behind it with a foot holding the bottom leg forward and pulling to top leg back. Or one horse on the back legs with a short rope on the front legs tied to an inner tube which is fastened to a stake in the ground. Or a rope on two back legs fastened high enough in the air that when the calf is tipped over his hips are a couple inches off the ground. Or a Nord Fork on the neck and a horse pulling on the hind legs.
That is all the possible combinations that I can think of that I have been involved in. Well I did a couple tied in the front of a stock trailer but that is just a variation of my first post.
And if the OP hit the road all this is a mute point.

Nord

You are all not very political correct. What about pain relief both during the procedure and during recovery. I think there is stuff here called "Numnuts" and various forms of Meloxicam for after. My take on it is you have to be seen to be doing the right thing, doesn't really matter whether it actually works as long as you went through the process, probably caused more distress to the animal administering whatever as opposed to a fast efficient operator.

Ken

Latest posts