good breed???

Help Support CattleToday:

COWMOM

Reaction score
Got this little guy from the stock yard. I thought he was maybe charlet somthing cross. After the sale the original owner came up to me and told me he was a brahman beefalo cross. Either way I thought he was a very nice looking little guy. Considering getting him some gals to breed with. Maybe black hereford??? Any opinions??? Will post a picture as soon as I figure out how.
[/list]

Your picture did not work, I dont really know anything about beefalo crossed cattle or people using them as herd bulls. It is not the kind of bull that I would use, but he is yours. He is a bull, therefore he would breed cows. If he does look like a charolais, like you said I'd put black cows with him, and black baldies would work fine to get smokie calves(rattails) and remember it all depends on what sells good in your area, if that is what you plan on doing. And to post a picture copy paste it to your post, highlight and click the Img button.

dang why didnt i think of that. with the buffalo he will be a hardy sort and with the bramer he will be ready to sire calves in 36 months or less. cowmom your practically in the money right now. put him on some old holstein cows you can get them cheap from dairies. might have to make em stand in a ditch but thats no prob. dont matter if theyre burned out just pull the calves off em at birth. give em some colostrum and then wean em on milkweeds. wouldnt sell em at the auction those buyers dont know a deal when they see one. better to direct market them to the yuppie vegetarian crowd

Cowmom,
Please don't take the comments personally. There seem to be a few people on here who are always looking for a chance to "poke fun".
I personally wouldn't use a crossbred bull of any kind (regardless of whether part of the cross is beefalo)...but to each their own-if you like the bull and want to use him, why not?!?!

COWMOM ---- Sorry if we gave you a little bit of a hard time. If anything, it was good natured teasing and I don't really think anyone is upset with you. :lol:

Recently there was a very humorous and satirical topic post by cowboy_billy, called "I wanna be a cowboy", with quite a bit of comical banter following his post. In addition, recently there was also an interesting discussion topic regarding "black Herefords". Those topics might make for entertaining reading for you, and should be pretty easy to access via a "search" here on CattleToday. Sorry, and no offense intended, but after reading those topics perhaps you will see why a few folks thought that your post might be a similar attempt at humor.

As to your original question --- I can only see the calf in your avatar and he might be a nice looking little guy but FWIW I'd say that you shouldn't entertain thoughts of keeping him for a breeder. I'm not certain but, as I recall, there have been fertility issues with beefalo; also, Brahman's are a little later than Bos Taurus animals in reaching sexual maturity. And in any event your calf is probably close to a year away from really successfully breeding cows. It seems that many folks buy a nice looking bull calf, or have one born on their place, and start thinking about keeping him as a herd bull. IMHO, in fact very few of such calves should be kept for breeding purposes, for a variety of reasons. In addition, way up there in your north country there is no need for a Brahman influenced animal and the Brahman (and probably the beefalo as well) influence would most likely result in price penalties for any of his offspring.

If you want to get some "black Herefords" buy what I think you really mean, which is to say buy some traditional "black baldies". I imagine that in you area "black baldies" are most likely to be 50/50 crosses of black Angus and Hereford. If you are going to have a small number of baldy cows (or any cows for that matter), and in view of all the dairies in your neck of the woods (and your apparent experiences and contacts) instead of keeping your own bull consider getting a tech. from a dairy to A.I. your cows with semen from a good Angus bull, or possibly a Hereford or maybe even a Simmental or Limo.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO ARNOLD. AS I SAID I WAS RAISED AROUND DAIRY AKA HOLSTEINS. I GUESS IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS THE BEEF PRICE IS GOING BY COLOR LATELY. ANYTHING SOLID COLOR. OR MOSTLY BLACK. HENCE THE REASON I BOUGHT THE LITTLE BULL, HE WAS A SOLID COLOR. I WONDERED ABOUT THE BRAHMAN PART OF HIM AND YOU PRETTY MUCH SAID WHAT I FOUND BY LOOKING UP INFO. HE WOULD BE A HOT WEATHER GUY. BUT I DIDNT KNOW WHAT THE BEEFALO WOULD HAVE DONE TO THAT. MY OTHER CONCERN NOW THAT I HAVE HAD HIM HOME IS HIS SIZE. HE IS DRINKING MILK FROM A NIPPLE,CANT GET HIM TO DRINK A PAIL YET, AND WEIGHS 135LBS. THATS HEAVY FOR A NEWBORN. I THINK WE ARE GONNA STEER HIM.
MAYBE GET A GOOD PRICE FOR HIM AS A FINISHED OUT BEEF.

I think cutting him is your best choice. I may be wrong about your animal and I know he will be gentle because you bottle feed him, but....
When we had dairy cattle we bought a couple of beef cows for a hobby. All we knew about beef cattle then is that they gave less milk than our holsteins and were a little thicker. Our beef heifers were beefalo cross and they were about as friendly as a cougar. I am sure yours will be ok. Since he is bottle fed. Just thought I'd share the experience.

THANKS FRANSEEN, YES HE IS ALREADY GENTLE AND FRIENDLY. THE LITTLE THING FOLLOWS ME AROUND LIKE A DOG....BUT THE WAY THINGS WERE DONE WHEN I WAS YOUNG. A GENTLE BULL WAS NOT REALLY A GOOD THING CUZ THEY CAN TURN ANY TIME. SO YES I THINK CUTTING HIM IS BEST.

COWMOM":1kpmjkvx said:
THANKS FRANSEEN, YES HE IS ALREADY GENTLE AND FRIENDLY. THE LITTLE THING FOLLOWS ME AROUND LIKE A DOG....BUT THE WAY THINGS WERE DONE WHEN I WAS YOUNG. A GENTLE BULL WAS NOT REALLY A GOOD THING CUZ THEY CAN TURN ANY TIME. SO YES I THINK CUTTING HIM IS BEST.

Typing in all caps is considered yelling. :(

Just to let you all know your advice has been taken, and I learned how to band. The little bull got banded yesterday, I did it myself. Yes I made sure both nuts were down and gave him a tetnus and tsv and clostridium bacterian-toxoid vaccines. He didnt like it much, poor little guy. :(

Latest posts