Golden gooseneck trailer by Corn Pro????

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Looked at one of these today:

http://www.golden-tr...lat_single.html

Made by Corn Pro. Ramps were really heavy to pick up off the dovetail.Wish it had 2 jacks and the ability to leave the ramps standing up.. $6545 for the trailer. Was told about one today about 3 years old being traded in, maybe the $4500 price range.
The new one I saw had about 8 inches above my tailgate. Is that enough clearance? Any thoughts on these trailers?

Don't know about that type of trailer, but had a second hand CornPro bumper pull stock trailer for years. The only thing we had to repair on it was after a while the front panel got in bad shape and had to be replaced, but in the kind of trailer your talking about that wouldn't be an issue I don't believe.

the gooseneck hitch should be adjustable to give you more... How much do you need? well, hard to say, if you're going over a deactivated logging road you'll need more, if you're pulling it on the road and in and out of the farmyard, you should be fine.
Only thing I think that trailer is missing is the center pull-up on the dovetail, which would be a real sticking point for me, I need the ability to have the entire deck flat

the gooseneck hitch should be adjustable to give you more... How much do you need? well, hard to say, if you're going over a deactivated logging road you'll need more, if you're pulling it on the road and in and out of the farmyard, you should be fine.
Only thing I think that trailer is missing is the center pull-up on the dovetail, which would be a real sticking point for me, I need the ability to have the entire deck flat
I am not sure how much I need, I have some field that have some waterway crossing to go thru. On adjusting the hitch, I thought the point of the adjustment was to level the trailer when loaded, to evenly load the axles. I wish it had the ramps that would level the whole deck or the pop up. I would also like to be able to pin the ramps upright. I like the price on the used one compared to other news ones I have seen. It will not get much usage.

having the trailer 2" off level to get 2" more clearance isn't too bad a compromise though.. On my stock trailer I have about 6" and haven't bashed anything up (yet)

For a not much use trailer it should be fine. If your primary use is hauling hay the dovetail wont matter. You can always take a couple 4x4 and make it flat but I find I don't use that feature on mine very often. Making the ramps stay up is an easy fix with a short piece of chain or flat bar and some pins. Torsion axles are a little odd on an equipment trailer but again for a limited use should be fine. If a nice used one in good shape can be had for $4500 it would be worth considering for sure. Oh and almost forgot 8" of clearance should be fine. You got to really bind one up to get that to hit. If it does you probably screwed up anyway.

For a not much use trailer it should be fine. If your primary use is hauling hay the dovetail wont matter. You can always take a couple 4x4 and make it flat but I find I don't use that feature on mine very often. Making the ramps stay up is an easy fix with a short piece of chain or flat bar and some pins. Torsion axles are a little odd on an equipment trailer but again for a limited use should be fine. If a nice used one in good shape can be had for $4500 it would be worth considering for sure. Oh and almost forgot 8" of clearance should be fine. You got to really bind one up to get that to hit. If it does you probably screwed up anyway.
The new one I saw was spring axle, he said the trade in was the identical trailer. Probably been kept under cover for the 3 years he had it and said the guy probably rarely used it. Said knowing the guy he probably washed it and put amorall on the tires every time. Guess we will see when he gets it.

Its a shame they don't put those lifting springs on the ramps but you should be able to add them. They make a world of difference. They are readily available and don't seem to difficult to install.

Another thing I noticed on the trailer is the crossmembers are 24" on center instead of 16". For hay I see no issue but tractors and such it concerns me.

Good friend of mine has a dual tandem golden. Hauls backhoes, bulldozer, hay everything. He takes care of his stuff but is used hard. I had a Gatormade that I hated in everyway. He recommend one of these. Went to the dealer ended up ordering a corn pro with all the options I wanted. Could not be happier with my corn pro. Likely be last flat bed i buy unless i buy another corn pro. Crawled around a bunch of them before i picked. After the gatormade turd i pulled for 3 years

1607957074151.png

This picture is from Corn Pro's website. I've seen some of their trailers over the years with a hinged frame that allows the dovetail to be raised up flat with the bed as above. Their website has no mention of it, but if still available that's a really handy deal. I had a Moritz Intl trailer with the same frame for about 15 years and loved it. Helps to keep the ass end from dragging when going into fields and through ditches/etc.

Tom - If you haven't considered Moritz Intl, I'd suggest giving them a look. Their necks are quite high and provide a lot of clearance. Great customer service from my experience.

Looks interesting, doesn't seem to be many places around that carry them. Found one 500 miles away.

Last edited:
My corn pro has side to side adjustable ramps. When they are all the way out has a pop up in middle make a complete flat deck.

Does either one of these look like I have enough clearance? Delta pics are fairly level, trail is slightly nosed high which I figure would go down with the load. Lot was more unlevel on the Golden trailer. 9" in the Delta and 7" Golden.

Attachments

• 20201214_113230.jpg
    20201214_113230.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20201214_113540.jpg
    20201214_113540.jpg
  • 20201212_095358.jpg
    20201212_095358.jpg
  • 20201212_095358_1.jpg
    20201212_095358_1.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I think you have room. Train track or something might have to pay attention. The delta looks little higher but could be pics

Latest posts