Godzilla engine............

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score

Ford's 7.3-Liter Gas V-8 Can Make 1450 hp and 1030 lb-ft of torque With a Supercharger

These engines have potential to make a lot more power 4-sure and testing is showing they will withstand it. MPG may not be very good I bet. I know of one around here and the guy pulls a 28' cattle trailer and he says current power is not an issue. Diesel is looking less and less attractive.

Last edited:
Friend of ours just got one a week or two ago, I'm curious to see how it turns out. The MPG doesn't scare me much - my 2019 F350 6.7 diesel single cab dually with bale bed is getting 8 loaded and 12ish empty, how much worse could a gas really be?

I put some stock size all terrain tires on the 6.2 last week and mpg went from 9.9 to 9.1. This is with the bale bed and feeder. The 7.3 is interesting and I'm sure it will pull good, doubt it will be the same feeling as a diesel though. That being said I've pulled a 28' cattle trailer full of cows several times and the 6.2 handles it fine. I'd try a 7.3 if I was buying new today

My old 454 is the same as a 7.4L. It has hauled 20,100lbs of cattle, but it didn't like it.
I've never owned a diesel pickup, but if I was going to pull that many lbs very often I'd get one.

It's tempting. I've built one several times on Ford's website and a fairly decked out XLT can be had for ~50k with the 7.3, 4x4, and 4.30's. I just don't pull anything often enough to need more than one truck that can work and the old man is waiting on delivery of his 2021 Ram with the Aisin and HO Cummins. If used ones ever get low enough I may swap the F150 out but for now, that new rig will have to earn it's keep pulling a trailer a handful of times a year. I've owned enough diesels to be tired of the maintenance and upkeep costs versus a gas rig but I do miss that sound and power.

I've build one several times too, can never find what I want. Ford search is really pushing 6.2 and 4 doors and you can only search dealers within 100miles, In Oct I drove 275 1-way to pickup a stock trailor like I wanted.
I'm looking for fairly decked out XLT, 7.3, reg cab, 2WD, w/4.30 Limited Slip, w/wo Bed

I bought one, so far I am impressed with the power. Only got 1100 or so on it and the most I have towed is 7500-8000. So far it seems to get about the same as my old F350 with a 5.4 on gas mileage, never got to check a full tank of highway driving yet. Around here doing my normal stuff it seems to be in the 12.5 range, truck indicates around 15-16 on the highway and 8-9 towing stock trailer. Towed gooseneck some empty and it didn't affect it as much as the stock trailer, guess the wind resistance.

Boeckman Ford has several 7.3s in stock. They don't have a huge selection but will give you an idea on prices.

I'm gonna wait a couple years and if there's no major bugs I'm gonna get one. 350 crew cab, single wheel, short box. I love my old 7.3 but parts are getting hard to come by and as soon as you fix one thing something else breaks. But that's probably any 20 year old truck

Rumor has it there a pretty snotty motor. I also herd that about the 6.2. I still love my diesels I'd be very hard pressed to get a gas but that 7.3 is very attractive

I'm gonna wait a couple years and if there's no major bugs I'm gonna get one. 350 crew cab, single wheel, short box. I love my old 7.3 but parts are getting hard to come by and as soon as you fix one thing something else breaks. But that's probably any 20 year old truck
What parts are you having trouble finding?

Certainly seems like they went back to basics. Pushrods, iron block, port fuel injection. Remarkably similar to GMs LS.

Seems like Ford has really been revamping their engine department. For a while there it seemed like they couldn't build a good one to save their lives.

Certainly seems like they went back to basics. Pushrods, iron block, port fuel injection. Remarkably similar to GMs LS.

Seems like Ford has really been revamping their engine department. For a while there it seemed like they couldn't build a good one to save their lives.
They are simple at least to modern engines.

Last edited:
What parts are you having trouble finding?
Engine parts. Since Navistar and Ford split its been tough. I've personally dodged any major issues so far but my father in law is having issues and a couple customers I've talked to have said the same thing. Ford/Motorcraft has been pretty good on their parts for the most part. But again keeping up with repairs is getting old. I've justified working on it cause I don't want a payment but the downtime kills me.

My biggest worry with Fords especially is serviceability, they have a horrible track record for making things that should be an easy job into a "lift cab" project, changing spark plugs, water pumps, turbos, etc all have proven to be far more difficult than you'd think.. It's all fine and dandy when it's new and everything's under warranty, but I doubt many of us here go to the dealer much. Interesting to see how everyone likes it though

Latest posts