Goats and ringworm?

Help Support CattleToday:

nycowgirl

Reaction score
Yesterday we picked up a bull calf from a local dairy farm. The owner has a goat he keeps in a separate pen at one end of his cow barn. When asked about it, he said that having a goat keeps the cows from getting ringworm. He knew nothing about the "why" of this, but said an old timer told him about this and so far it had been working.

Does anyone know anything about this or is it an old wives tale?

nycowgirl":q5p6s8r5 said:
Yesterday we picked up a bull calf from a local dairy farm. The owner has a goat he keeps in a separate pen at one end of his cow barn. When asked about it, he said that having a goat keeps the cows from getting ringworm. He knew nothing about the "why" of this, but said an old timer told him about this and so far it had been working.

Does anyone know anything about this or is it an old wives tale?

I would lay it to an OWT since goats get ringworm too. I have elephant repellent in the yard and it must works since I've never seen an elephant around here

dun

He is either an idiot or was pulling your leg. Since ring worm is a fungus I would think the goat has nothing to do with it.

Alan

dun":1nslxlhd said:
I would lay it to an OWT since goats get ringworm too. I have elephant repellent in the yard and it must works since I've never seen an elephant around here

dun

And where might one purchase elephant repellent around here? I've got a couple that keep getting in my flower garden?? ;-)

Dun -
Are you using the granulated elephant repellent or the aerosol ? The aerosol mist seems to work okay but I keep finding tracks so I know they are sneaking in after dark.
Glide - we'll bring you some to Crowder's shin-dig...

Bullbuyer":38fv9saq said:
Dun -
Are you using the granulated elephant repellent or the aerosol ? The aerosol mist seems to work okay but I keep finding tracks so I know they are sneaking in after dark.
Glide - we'll bring you some to Crowder's shin-dig...

I use a can of aerosol that's labeled "BS Repellent", seems to work fine for elephants too.

dun

We had a bunch of guys swappin' stories in the barn a few weeks ago. I tried that BS repellent, I think it made things worse. Mine might have been out of date though.

Bullbuyer":zdv4iz6d said:
We had a bunch of guys swappin' stories in the barn a few weeks ago. I tried that BS repellent, I think it made things worse. Mine might have been out of date though.

When it goes oout of date it becomes BS enhancer

dun

Dang manufacturers label didn't list that as a warning. Once again somebody gets hurt by somebody else's negligence ! I appreciate the info.
That goat will do one thing - drive you crazy ! We had a few one time - noisy critters to not be no bigger than they are and the smell - that's another story itself.

Bullbuyer":1k971jzr said:
That goat will do one thing - drive you crazy ! We had a few one time - noisy critters to not be no bigger than they are and the smell - that's another story itself.

I guess it came from the goat dairy years, but I kind of like the smell of a nasty old rancid buck

dun

milesvb":mc4uh5xq said:
dun":mc4uh5xq said:
Bullbuyer":mc4uh5xq said:

When it goes oout of date it becomes BS enhancer

dun

It must degrade into alcohol. ;-)

I hate having to clean the screen...spit my pepsi all over it.....

Bullbuyer":q3hr38hb said:
dun needs to start up a perfume company - 'eau de goat'. I just can't agree with ya' on likin' the smell of a goat - only thing worse is a wet goat.

From a couple of 100 yards I like the smell of skunk too. Reminds me of the first whiff when you would open the metal band on a tin of coffee.

dun

dun":fflgk6as said:
Bullbuyer":fflgk6as said:
dun needs to start up a perfume company - 'eau de goat'. I just can't agree with ya' on likin' the smell of a goat - only thing worse is a wet goat.

From a couple of 100 yards I like the smell of skunk too. Reminds me of the first whiff when you would open the metal band on a tin of coffee.

dun

Dun, You need to get a "smell" test done. You ain't right. :lol: :lol:

MikeC":39r7osh7 said:
dun":39r7osh7 said:
Bullbuyer":39r7osh7 said:

dun

Dun, You need to get a "smell" test done. You ain't right. :lol: :lol:

Ahh Jeez Dun :shock: , MikeC I second that!
Alan

dun":2z6cbsgk said:
Bullbuyer":2z6cbsgk said:

dun

OMG! I thought I was the only one who thought that! Everytime I mention it to anyone else, they all look at me like I'm crazy. (I am, but that's beside the point. ;-) ) My son also likes the smell, as long as it isn't too close or too strong.

Latest posts