goats and cattle in the same pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
wouldnt pressure much of each other for food i dont think. goats eat alot of what the cows wont. i could use some cleanup...nieghbors got goats but no cows...says theyre hard on fence..to keep in not work it like cows

anyone doing it? can i put em together?
gary

yeah my buddys the goat pro...online it seems like a good idea cept for the fencing things..but idk...still checking it out

I'm not a goat person, I always like to make that clear. My kids showed goats, when they were really small. We keep a few on hands at all times now to tie etc. They can get out of anything. The only place I can keep them is in a horse stall. They also do eat courser forage than a cow.

You need a fence that will hold water to keep a goat in. They do always seem to prefer the other side of the fence. Maybe if you started them on the outside, they would break in and stay inside, thinking their not supposed to be there. Just writing this got me smelling goat.

I used to have a couple of old nannys that stayed with the cattle....I want some more but the last few I have had would not stay in the fence....those old girls did....but the fence was new then and hotter than a blowtorch.....

Back when we had a few goats, the kids born around the cattle loved them...it was not at all uncommon to see cows lying down and kids either lying down on top of or jumping on and off the cattle while they were lying down.

I keep about 50 kathdin ewes and generally run them thru the traps behind my stocker calves.
My exterior fences are 5 strand barbwire and my interior fences are 3 hot wires with one barb
between the bottom and 2nd hot. I keep the sheep in a nite pen and turn them out each morning.
They go down the lane and turn into whatever trap I leave open and don't try my fences.

My understanding is that running cattle and sheep together work to help with worm problems. It must work as I now only worm my sheep about once a year, and living in La. I am in the worm
capital of the world. The calves only are on the place about 6-7 months and are wormed when
they come in. Sheep are about as maintance-free as anything I have ever fooled with.

I generally produce about a 150% lamb crop. I turn rams in in Oct. and ewes generally lamb for
about 2 weeks the first of March. I work all the lambs at one time about 2 wks. later (just a
clostridial vacc. and band). They run with their mom until about the end of June. Sell most off
the place and the rest go to an order buyer that sells to ethnic markets in New Orleans. Last
couple of years I have been getting about $ 100.00 for a 70# lamb. It generally takes me about
3 rolls of hay to winter the ewes and I hand feed for about 3 weeks before breeding the ewes.
Don't feed the lambs unless I wean some.

Latest posts