Giving away cows

Help Support CattleToday:

42acres

Reaction score
Took some 400# hiefers to the sale last week and got 25 cent less than i did this time last year. I enjoy raising cattle but can't do it just for fun. Any ideas on what the market will do next year? Things didn't go my way in the pres election but now i got to pull for him to fix this mess.

42acres":20xgxz5a said:
Took some 400# hiefers to the sale last week and got 25 cent less than i did this time last year. I enjoy raising cattle but can't do it just for fun. Any ideas on what the market will do next year? Things didn't go my way in the pres election but now i got to pull for him to fix this mess.

Markets come and markets go - you hold on tight - or sell out when the stress gets to you.

Lots of nice talk about alternatives from folks, but essentially - once all is said and done - you hang on or get out.

Heck some of those folks will give you advice and actually come across as if they truly know what will happen next year - but in fact they cannot - no more than you can.

If you can predict the markets I will personally give you half the profits from my first "money haul".

Lots of folks will have ideas - but it is all opinions - even the fancy pants economists cannot truly give you anything more than opinion. Opinions are like @ssholes - everyone has one.

Been giving cows away since BSE hit in my part of the world.

We are a lot smaller now and we have outside income - otherwise we would have been sleeping in the ditch.

Only you can decide what you want to do.

Best to you

Bez+

Be glad; around this time last year a pen of 20 sheep in at the saleyards sold for $1. Yes, $1 for the entire pen of 20 sheep all together. At the same time, a good man in our area needed to sell out, took all his females to the saleyards, he didnt get one bid on any of them. He took them home, shot them all and then himself.

Trust me it can get a whole lot worse.

Seems that most in the cow business go by the business motto of buy high and sell low...

Have patience. The market will go back up.

grannysoo":3cfxq2ce said:
Seems that most in the cow business go by the business motto of buy high and sell low...

Have patience. The market will go back up.

I'm looking for a partner that will follow my advice. When I'am going to sell he will go out a buy a bunch of cows and when I'm going to buy he will sell everything, then we'll split the profits.

Latest posts