Gift Ideas for Farmer/Ranchers

Help Support CattleToday:

Hasbeen

Reaction score
There are a couple of men who live near my farm that have taken me under their wing and helped teach me the ropes in the cattle business. I had never even met these men until I decided to try my hand with cattle. Between them they helped me pick out my heifers, hauled them home for me, loaned me a bull for the first breeding and helped me haul my hay and have always refused pay. I've been fortunate enough to have a couple of opportunities to help them out a couple of times when something went wrong, but last night they came on an hours notice and helped me pull a calf. When a man will leave his supper to come over and stick his arm up a cow in trouble, you just feel like you owe him. Since they won't even consider letting me pay them, I would like to get them each a small Christmas present to show that I appreciate what they do. As a farmer/rancher, what would you like Santa to bring you? Keep it simple, I know they wouldn't take much. I would like it to be something useful, I'm thinking maybe a knife or some sort of tool. You know, something that you normally wouldn't buy but if you had it would be useful. Any ideas? Both are small time, maybe 50-60 head between them.

These guys are the salt of the earth, aren't they. :)

If you can't think of anything material, give them a card expressing your appreciation, telling them you are there for them anytime, and take 'em a home made cobbler or cake, or something of that nature. Maybe, if they like tamales, you can find someone that makes tamales at Christmas and take them a couple dozen each.

Alice

One thing that my husband treasures is a small LED light. It is in a holster and is about six inches long. The light is incredible and he uses it more than any light he has ever had.

Kind of hard to say without knowing them and knowing what they already have.

Friendships and trust are a two way street. Helping one another out is just a way of life for most folks. Be there for them when they need you. And yes that could mean getting up in the middle of the night, or getting up from supper like they did. If you go giving presents they might feel like they are "beholding" to you, kind of like the way you feel you are beholding to them for helping you out. Just be appreciative and show them that they can count on you too, with your actions in the future.

You can't put a price on a good friend. Having someone, especially a neighbor, you can count on when the chips are down is priceless.

We have some neighbors/friends that for christmas we're giving them a can of coffee. Anything else would be too obvious and then the good natured feud would kick off again.

dun

After the last time we worked our cattle, one of my sons went to Sears and bought me a lightweight, mid-large sized plastic toolbox. In the bottom, he put both of my eartaggers and removers, 2 packs of # tags, a pack of fly tags, tattoo kit and ink, sidecutters, pocket knife, bander and bands, and a few other odds and ends. Syringes, needles, plastic sleeves, tag marker, notepad and pen, calf weight tape, and other small items went in the tray. He then threw away my boot box, a rusty coffee can, and several perfectly good WallyWorld sacks! It won't hold the pour-on wormer, but it sure is nice not having to find which sacks I need when. Now I just grab the box, the Ivomec, hit the fridge if I need meds, and go. I could have done that years ago, but hey! That thing cost 10 bucks!

A country ham or a good bottle of whiskey (if they partake) would probably be appreciated. Most folks, at least in the south love country ham. That's a gift that will last for a while and they will think of you each time they have some.

Some good ideas folks. It's difficult because although I know their interests, (farming, ATV riding, coon hunting etc.) I, of course have not inventoried what they have. Maybe I'll just walk the aisles at the TSC. I would really like to find some small tool that has just come out.

The wife made peanut butter pies and filled up baskets with jellies and cider, etc for all the folks we rent from and help us during the year. We rode around last Sunday dropping them off, spent a few minutes talking with each of them. I'm just relieved we haven't heard of anyone going to the ER from the wife's cooking. :shock:

cfpinz

cfpinz":c8wrlwik said:
The wife made peanut butter pies and filled up baskets with jellies and cider, etc for all the folks we rent from and help us during the year. We rode around last Sunday dropping them off, spent a few minutes talking with each of them. I'm just relieved we haven't heard of anyone going to the ER from the wife's cooking. :shock:

cfpinz

Better be careful...she may have saved a little bit of that broken window for the special peanut butter pie she made for you... 8)

Alice

cfpinz":3qxxxzrt said:
I'm just relieved we haven't heard of anyone going to the ER from the wife's cooking. :shock:

cfpinz

That's cause she did the cooking instead of you

dun

dun":2s7bk814 said:
cfpinz":2s7bk814 said:
I'm just relieved we haven't heard of anyone going to the ER from the wife's cooking. :shock:

cfpinz

That's cause she did the cooking instead of you

dun

Alice - Smart Aleck Husband Rule #1: Don't eat anything unless the wife tries it first. ;-)

dun - I'll have you know I've perfected the culinary art of frozen pizza. How do you think I won her over. It certainly wasn't my dashing good looks. :oops:

cfpinz

I know it's not very personal or creative, but a gift certificate at the local farm store is often appreciated.

I have one neighbor who won't take a cent for helping to diagnose and repair machinery problems, but he will accept the gift certificate at Christmas.

badaxemoo":cjusuv3f said:
I know it's not very personal or creative, but a gift certificate at the local farm store is often appreciated.

I have one neighbor who won't take a cent for helping to diagnose and repair machinery problems, but he will accept the gift certificate at Christmas.
i have a friend like that as well he wont let me pay him anything.so i to buy him gift certs as a thank you.the last time he helped me i gave a roll if high tensile wire as a thank you.

Green Creek":9laa1aez said:
One thing that my husband treasures is a small LED light. It is in a holster and is about six inches long. The light is incredible and he uses it more than any light he has ever had.
For me that would be a winner. :clap: :clap: :clap:

All good ideas, thanks. I decided to go with one those multi-tool things (you know, the gadget with the pliers, knife, screwdrivers etc. all in one tool) and the wife volunteered to bake me three cakes to go with it.

Latest posts