Gift for Jogeephus

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Jo,
I was out checking the cows about an hour ago and I found this just laying out by the lake. I thought I would bring it home and send it to you as a gift. It is a nice, fat Tennessee copperhead just waiting for your love and affection :mrgreen:
IMG00229-20110729-1537.jpg

I ain't moving to Tennessee neither. Moving to S Ga went out the window the day Jo posted that blue one.
We have some Copperheads. My retired cousin-in-law volunteers to tag them. No kidding.

I had to get pretty close to snap his pic with my blackberry. You can see in the pic that he is wounded toward the back half of the body. He was trying to make his escape when I did my best Marshall Dillon impersonation with a fast draw. The charge of .357 snake shot was a tad late. Of course trying to out draw a copperhead when you are in a pair of cargo shorts and wearing sandals is a bit awkward. Especially when your pistol is in the leg pocket of the cargo shorts. It didn't help matters that I was trying to shoot while in the middle of an ancient serpent dance. He was practically under my feet when we "discovered" each other :shock:

HOSS":1brixbwb said:
while in the middle of an ancient serpent dance.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

That's a big fat one for sure. We have very few copperheads here. If that one was darker it would look real similar to our moccasins. They get really fat on frogs and stuff. One of my friends got bit in the arm by a copperhead when we were little. He said he thought it was a pretty stick. :shock: He rode the short bus with me.

Its a fat one for sure, and a good snake is a dead snake. What kind of bones are them? I wonder what kind of gift Jogeephus will send you in return??? Sure glad we don't have meny of them, I haven't seen any here yet.

highgrit":20j8jnv4 said:
Its a fat one for sure, and a good snake is a dead snake. What kind of bones are them? I wonder what kind of gift Jogeephus will send you in return??? Sure glad we don't have meny of them, I haven't seen any here yet.

Highgrit, you might better keep a close eye out cause about two years ago a friend of mine killed two Fer de Lances while clearing some land not far from the house. I hope these were the only two in existance but I doubt it.

ive never seen one that was that dark..... we have a lot of copper heads but they are real bright copper colored here .are all of them that dark there? Glad you got him before he got you....

This one was darker than the norm for here though ours tend to be darker than most. If you look at the back half and down toward the edge of the belly you can see the brighter copper color that normally goes on up the back. On his head the copper color was really bright at the jaw hinge. On doing a post motem it had a couple of mostly digested frogs in the fat portion of the body. I checked out his fangs and they were a good inch long. Kinda tucked into a sheath of skin along the sides of the roof of the mouth. I never realized they carried their fangs that way.

yea thier fangs are kinda in a sheath .. did you skin it to tan ? They give birth to live babies also ...the cool thing about poisonous snakes in north America is they have cat eyes. It's the easiest way to tell if a snake is poison ... after he's dead of course .

highgrit, I have no clue about the bones. I didn't notice until you pointed them out but it may have come from one of the dozens of big snappers that I thinned from the lake with the trusty .22 to protect a bunch of ducklings that were getting munched on pretty hard.

Jo, I will be wary of any cookie tin from Georgia :lol:

The pupils were definetly slanted. At first I thought it was a cottonmouth but it had a reddish color inside. The pattern and color is a little off because it crawled under a 14' aluminum boat that I had on the bank. When I dragged the boat off of him it rolled him over in the mud a few times. The thick body, blunt tail, pupils, head shape and big fangs say poisenous. The copper color around the head and on the body made me think copperhead. The copperheads I normally see here are lighter to a degree and the markings are easier to distinguish. More of a pinkish hue to the lighter areas near the belly.

It's a neatly colored copper head ... I wasn't saying it wasn't poisonous . Just pointing out for folks that don't know how to tell if a snake is ...we have a water snake here that gets mistaken for a cotton mouth a lot ..I used to not worry about snakes and I rarely killed them until I had kids ... now the only good snake is a dead one .

JS,
I know your comment wasn't antagonistic at all. I also have a boatload of banded water snakes around my little 4 acre lake. Especially this year since I have a billion frogs. The water snakes are marked similar AND they are very agressive and will definetly strike though non-poisenous. A good chunk of my property near the lake is swampy. It attracts snakes from everywhere. A herpatologist's dream.

JSCATTLE":qpaskwrk said:
yea thier fangs are kinda in a sheath .. did you skin it to tan ? They give birth to live babies also ...the cool thing about poisonous snakes in north America is they have cat eyes. It's the easiest way to tell if a snake is poison ... after he's dead of course .
http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentof ... us-snakes/

chrisy":x59lc1p5 said:
JSCATTLE":x59lc1p5 said:
http://indianapublicmedia.
I guess technically I am wrong... but in my defence its more a figure of speech ... thanks for the link chrissy.. :D

Latest posts