Getting Yellow out of White Hair

Help Support CattleToday:

karlie45

Reaction score
I swear that I saw a post a while back on it, but I searched and couldnt find it.
I've heard of using vinegar, tide, dawn (dish liquid), and straight bleach (yikes!)
-I haven't tried any of these yet, but if someone tells me that it works, I wanna give it a try.

I have a white steer that just came out of a muddy field (lots of rain, plus 15 inches of snow- in april!)
I've been giving him a good bath once a week using Farnam's White N' Bright shampoo...the only whitening shampoo at our local farm store. It's made for horses.
It seems to be working, although it is working slowly.
Can anyone help me out with a way that really works and wont hurt my steers skin?
First show is in late June, so I'm not asking for a miracle.
At least I don't think so.
Thanks!

For what its worth everyone that I know use dishwashing liquid to wash the white on the herefords' heads, underline, socks and crest. I usually only wash to really clean the last few days before the show or sale and have never seen any irritation or other reaction.

Don't think its something you should do everyday, though.

Use the purple Palmolive dishsoap - Oxy Clean. or Sullivans Bright Lights (also purple) both work, but dishsoap is cheaper. Don't use too much,may dry hair.

Can you get a product called Blue-O in America? It is a laundry additive to whiten white clothes. It is a liquid you put in the washing machine.

Honestly, you do not need expensive shampoos designed for livestock. All I have ever used is dishwashing liquid. Make sure you buy one that is promoted for being gentle on your hands, that way it will not dry out their skin.

What you do is mix the blue-o with the dishwashing detergent half and half (or your normal livestock shampoo) and use that on him. Leave it a few minutes to soak in but no longer otherwise it can stain the hair a blue-green colour. You can also use it straight but it is easier to stain them that way, that is why I mix it with soap.

Trust me, if you can get some Blue-O, it is all you need. It is used extensively on white show cattle here. I also like using it on the roans and makes them come up really pretty.

I've used dish soap for years, and have converted many people from EZ All to the dish soap. I usually go for the clear, or blue (not sure if color actually makes a difference). There is one dish soap, I believe Dawn, that has bleach in it, and it was worked really well for me. I do not worry about the skin or hair of the animals getting damaged, b/c they are made to be easy on the hands of the individuals washing dishes. If they damaging to the skin of people washing dishes they'd be off the market quickly.

Another thing that I really like is mixing half dish soap, half of the purple Sullivan's Bright Lights. Works very well.

Don't be afraid of the dish soap. I've been using for years and years and years. The biggest thing is don't be afraid to get generous with the amount of soap you use, or repeating the washing a couple of times while you're at it. Lather rinse repeat a couple of times.

Good Luck!

Ryan

I used to help prep some shorthorns and dish soap was all we used. Ivory and purple dish soaps seemed to work for us. I don't know what it is about purple but reading the other post I guess confirms that we weren't the only ones who noticed this.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I'm a little afraid of the oxy clean.
But I found some blue Dawn dish soap with bleach- I switch it out every-other washing with my whitening shampoo.
It seems to be working well.
I went to a FFA kinder-garden farm day (not a show, just a petting zoo for all the little city kids)
took him along- I got a lot of comments on how white he is from other showmen, so I think that I'm doing okay.

All I'm going to do is keep him as clean as I can, and wash wash wash until the show season starts.
(and cross my fingers that he looks good)

...I knew I shoulda chosen that black steer....

Hi everyone :D
My kids use listerine on the yellow spots, put on straight, let it stand for 5 min. and wash out with joy liquid dish soap with Mrs. Stewart's liquid bluing ( this is done once a week.)

The listerine is used twice daily and washed out with water, they call this spot washing.

Every sunday they soap down the cattle, be careful not to put too much bluing in the joy, you can turn the coat blue. One good squit in the bucket along with one good squit of joy, mix with water from the hose. I think this is the same thing Karen was talking about.

We find the best price in town for the listerine is at the dollar store.

Just another note:
Put the listerine in a spray bottle, don't put on face, it will harm the eyes.
Good luck :D

Another good soap for white cattle is woolite and add luquid bluing.

If you cant finde it in your store then do a web serch for mrs. stewarts liquid bluing and you will get a lot of hits. I found one company that sold it for under 5 dollars a bottle. one bottle will last a long time.

Karen, I googled your blue-o and didn't get any hits. Maybe you can see if you have any luck. Also look and see if the mrs. stewarts bluing is the same thing you where talking about. Thanks Sis :D

Thanks, I went to mrsstewart.com and found a list of stores that carry it.
I found one here in town (a grocery store- the one place I never woulda checked)
I'll buy some today and give it a shot.

Show steer-
The blueing (in combination with the whitening shampoo and lots of washing) seems to be doing the trick. We have a little show this weekend, hopefully i can talk my dad into using the camera enough to get a good picture.
I've talked to some other kids, and I know of another white shorthorn that will be there.
I'll see how his white compares.
Thanks again.

If the show allows grooming products, try Shapely Touch Up Spray in white to cover any remaining stains.

10683.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/4umy8b

Good luck, I hope that you all have fun.

Latest posts