Getting weight back on cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
Whats the most efficient way to put weight back on cows this time of year. I've got some first calf heifers that we've taken the calves off and also some older cows that I intend to sell once I shape them back up. I still have alot of grass and I buy bulk feed thats about 12% protein as well as I keep protein tubs out. I considered putting them together in one pasture with a bulk feeder, but that might get a little expensive. Love to hear any ideas.

Grass, minerals, salt and water along with a little time will put cows back into good shape.

dun

addon to Dun's .... now is a good time to deworm them as well if you haven't done that recently.

Make sure your minerals are of good quality... with Vitamin A, Vitamin E, magnesium, selenium, calcium and phosphorous in them.

Sounds like your already running a feedlot with putting out feed and tubs both....are you out of grass??Cow needs energy to get back in shape...a little protein will make her get out and hustle that enrgy but you can give them to much protein. Just like they said...worm em and good grass..if your grass is mediocre 2 pounds of cake for 30 days should turn em into butterballs

We weaned, wormed and increased the ME in the diet and just as expected the cows have a noticable increase in condition...takes about three weeks to notice the gain. DMc

Latest posts