Getting Ready to abort?

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
We have a heifer that is 5 months bred. No way she could be any further along. She is developing a bag. Still looks tight in the rear end. Do you think she is preparing to abort? If she is, is there anything we can do to prevent it?

Heifers frequently go through fits and starts at building an udder. She may grow like that for a while then nothing till she is closer to calving. We've never had any cow or heifer build a bag when they were going to abort, but we've only had a couple through the years, one this year. If she is going to abort why would you want to prevent it? Something is not right with either the prgnancy or the calf, might as well clean out the calf bed and get ready for the next one.

have seen some so this & abort, others i have seen would start to bag for a few weeks then the udder would go back down & everything was fine

ffamom":cujznncx said:
We have a heifer that is 5 months bred. No way she could be any further along. She is developing a bag. Still looks tight in the rear end. Do you think she is preparing to abort? If she is, is there anything we can do to prevent it?

I'm guessing just a "false bag". Most times when a cow aborts there is no "preparation for abortion" or other warning signs....etc... it just happens.

Thank you for your responses. We had one several years ago bag up at 4 months and abort.
Nice to know that it doesn't mean she will abort. Why is it important? She's a show heifer and must be bred to show. On the positive side, we bred her late and she now looks further along than she really is :D

ffamom":l8xx3w7t said:
Thank you for your responses. We had one several years ago bag up at 4 months and abort.
Nice to know that it doesn't mean she will abort. Why is it important? She's a show heifer and must be bred to show. On the positive side, we bred her late and she now looks further along than she really is :D

What kind of feeding program do you have her on right now? That can sometimes cause one to bag but it's not real common.

TB,
She is eating a show ration...16 lbs per day. She has been eating it since 7 months. Last show is this weekend, then all our animals will be returned to the pasture. My pocket book can't wait.

Hope you are ready for a big calf. I don't like showing bred heifers because it can cause a lot of problems. Plus you run the risk that her udder won't function to the potential it could have if she was left alone

Latest posts