Getting grass to grow

Help Support CattleToday:

danny254

Reaction score
I have been trying to get grass in one of my new pastures to grow this past year, but nothing I do seems to work. I have been clearing off places that have think underbrush in them, and some places there is nothing but good old Ga Red Clay. It looks like there is grass there underneath 10 plus years of undergrowth however. I have thought about buying grass seed, but with the lack of rain in Ga, I would hate to throw money away. Does anyone know if the grass that appears to be underneath the brush will take or not? I have seen pics of the same pasture from several years ago, and there was grass there then. There have been no animals on it in some time though, and it has just grown up a lot. I would appreciate anyones help. Thanks!

the best thing to make grass grow is rain. what kind of grass is it? bermuda or bahia? or some weedy grass?

I'd throw some extra seed around by hand anywayand pull something over it with a tractor to just get the seed covered . Wait for rain and see what happens.

The grass you see now may be a shade tolerant grass and die when fully exposed. If its on the sunny edges creeping in then it should do, OK as that dirty land will have more of everything in it because it was protected from the sun. Its often surprising what comes up and of course you will get more weeds up for a while.

Latest posts