Getting a calf to take a bottle....

Help Support CattleToday:

Pat8484

Reaction score
Anybody have any advice on how to get a newly-separated calf to take bottle? I have two calves - both about 1-2 weeks old - that were separated this weekend. They haven't quite figured out that the bottle has the good stuff. I tried the forceful method with no luck. Also tried the sit and see if they catch on method - still no luck. Anybody have any tricks on how to get them to take the bottle?

I assume beef calves .I would probably skip a feeding . I would think they will go if they get hungry .

Larry

I have had lots of experience with this. Back the calf into a corner, straddle it with your legs over the neck so you can hold it back by it's front shoulders with your legs. Shove the nipple in, wrap your other hand around the calf's mouth and squeeze intermittently to simulate sucking, while tilting nose upward. Let him (and your back) rest from time to time. Just try to get a few gulps down. It takes time and a lot of patience. It helps a lot if someone else can handle the bottle for you, easier on your back. Repeat as often as possible. Eventually he'll get the hang of it, usually after two or three feedings when he's good and hungry. If the calf starts looking lethargic and droopy-eared you may have to tube him. But a healthy calf will almost always take to the bottle. Also open up the nipple opening a bit, you're gonna spill a lot but it will help get him going. Just keep working at it, they'll figure it out. Good Luck, Let us know how it goes.

Put milk on your finger and let him suck on that, then when he has the taste for it put milk on the outside of the nipple and give him the bottle , that has helped for me.

Patients and persistence.
Every calf is different. Some, I have slightly enlarged the hole on a soft nipple. Some like a goat nipple. The best trick that worked on a very stubborn one is taking a hand full of sugar and shove it in the calves mouth, immediately put the bottle in and the calf started sucking. The next calf, this did not work on.
Good luck.

Everything above... plus taking a warm rag and wiping little darlin's backside to make 'em pee/poop just like mom used to do gets the little stinkers licking and moving the mouth making it easier to slip the bottle in...

Thanks guys! After alot of back straddling, nipple-squeezing, and a sore back, both calves have taken atleast one good feeding so far. Thanks for the suggestions....

Latest posts