Gettin rid of varmits and pests

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Last night I was at a meeting and listened to the USDA APHIS Wildlife Services biologist talk about pests - beavers in particular. They have a program where they will come to your land and get rid of pests for you. Since this is on private land they can't use tax payers money for this and you have to pay them. But work is guaranteed and they are licensed for explosives and comply with laws I had never heard of regarding the eradication of pests in a humane way.

Thought I'd pass this along in case any of you have any problems. They said the relocated 1300 geese in Georgia last year. Oh, contact # in Ga is 706-734-4837.

If you got a prairie dog problem, best thing to do is contact me. I so enjoy the long shot. ;-)

If you got a prairie dog problem, best thing to do is contact me. I so enjoy the long shot.

So do I.

Them dillers are about as fun in a big open pasture or sod farm.

Been thinking bout bringing some PD's home and putting them in the neighbors hayfield. Think he'd mind? ;-)

MikeC":2stpchpc said:
If you got a prairie dog problem, best thing to do is contact me. I so enjoy the long shot.

So do I.

Them dillers are about as fun in a big open pasture or sod farm.

Been thinking bout bringing some PD's home and putting them in the neighbors hayfield. Think he'd mind? ;-)
I bet he would want to hug you around the neck. :lol:

MikeC":csa3vg29 said:

:shock: :shock: Mike, you're terrible! Although, on second thought, if you're neighbor is suffering from the type of cranial-rectal inversion that a lot of people up are suffering from, he probably wouldn't even notice them - a lot of the scenery on highway 85 between Torrington and Cheyenne is prairie dog activity - I sure don't understand it. :shock: :roll:

No beaver problems here.

Don't we need to have some water somewhere for the beavers???

They have probably moved to somewhere they have rain!!

We had beaver problems at a 27 acre lake my dad had built on his place about 5 years ago. They destroyed everything. The best way for us to fix it was to go out in the middle of the night with a spotlight and blow the shi@ out of em. Had a buddy come up from florida and would shoot em with his crossbow like you do carp. Makes for a fun and eventful evening as long as a bit of booze is mixed in.

I know some folks who bought a place with about a 10 acre lake that had a beaver problem. Some fella offered to get rid of them for $100 each. He got five of them. Hope the doggone thing is full of fish. :lol: Boone

A horse hobby rancher in south central MN called the DNR because he suddenly had praire dogs in his 20 acre pasture. The DNR came for a look and decided that they must have come from released pets. They then held several meeting to decide what to do -- and finally decided that the owner could get rid of them since they were not native to Minnesota. When the DNR came back with thier new praire dog policy it was too late... the horse rancher had already shot them all.

I favor a .22-250 with ballistic tips myself.

Steve, the 22-250 is on my wish list. Watched two marines shoot a prairie dog at 1300 yards - one shot. I was impressed to say the least. I'm gonna hafta wait on it though. I promised my wife I wouldn't bring any more home until I got rid of some and I have a hard time parting with a rifle. I think its a genetic thing. My dad and grandad wouldn't part with them either so the war shed has grown over the years.

Jogeephus":nypkvd12 said:
I promised my wife I wouldn't bring any more home until I got rid of some

I had the same problem with my wife so I started building them. When she got wise to that I sold one and bought a T/C Contender. Then I stated buying barrels for it. She finally put her foot down about that so I slowly parted with the barrels. Now I'm down to only about 10 from the earlier 28. Even using the excuse that the guns I was buying were inventory for the gunshop didn't help. Could have been because I kept them in my persoanl gun safe instead of the one for thr shop.

dun

Steve, the 22-250 is on my wish list. Watched two marines shoot a prairie dog at 1300 yards - one shot.

Now that's one heckuva shot. Little over 7/10's of a mile.

Especially with just one shot. Amazing.

Jogeephus":1zqnwtid said:
Steve, the 22-250 is on my wish list. Watched two marines shoot a prairie dog at 1300 yards - one shot. I was impressed to say the least. I'm gonna hafta wait on it though. I promised my wife I wouldn't bring any more home until I got rid of some and I have a hard time parting with a rifle. I think its a genetic thing. My dad and grandad wouldn't part with them either so the war shed has grown over the years.

You ain't fugured out how to handle the yet? Just bring it home after you tune it in and stick it in an old case in the closet when she's not home. When she sees the case she won't think anything about the gun. Just don't get caught showing it off.Z

A friend of mine did that with a Weatherby, his wife found it and he said it in closet and said if she had known he was wanting a gun she would have bought him a good one for Xmas instead of him getting an off brand.

So with that in mind, I tried it last year with a new turkey gun. Stuck it in closet amongst a bunch of other shotguns and thought I had pulled it off. No sir, wife asked me within a week why I bought a new shotgun. After all, didn't I think I had enough. She is a smart cookie!

How bout I "buy her" a Rem 700 22-250 for next Christmas or her birthday - that's sooner. Reckon she will see through that? :lol:

dun":1pa9wio2 said:
Jogeephus":1pa9wio2 said:
I promised my wife I wouldn't bring any more home until I got rid of some

I had the same problem with my wife so I started building them. When she got wise to that I sold one and bought a T/C Contender. Then I stated buying barrels for it. She finally put her foot down about that so I slowly parted with the barrels. Now I'm down to only about 10 from the earlier 28. Even using the excuse that the guns I was buying were inventory for the gunshop didn't help. Could have been because I kept them in my persoanl gun safe instead of the one for thr shop.

dun

I buy one for the wife or the kids periodically to spread the joy around.

Latest posts