Gettin cussed movin hay

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":olza6daa said:
If I get 3 or 4 vehicles behind me I'm pulling over or stopping to let them by. Everyone's time is worth the same and I'm going to do my best to not waste yours.

Yes. My dad often lectured me if I was fretting over the vehicle behind me. His rule was, "You worry about the guy in front of you, don't worry about holding up the guy behind you." I often just pull over if someone behind me gives me the impression they got the bit between their teeth.

True Grit Farms":2nngwwnp said:
If I get 3 or 4 vehicles behind me I'm pulling over or stopping to let them by. Everyone's time is worth the same and I'm going to do my best to not waste yours.
Seems common curtesy to me, I appreciate it when I'm following and the guy pulls to the side to let me pass.

heres my theory, when people get behind a tractor, truck, pickup pulling a trailer,etc it doesnt matter how slow or how fast they are going ,they get it in their head they need to pass you! i dont care if your driving a tractor 70mph in a 55 there gonna pass you or bust!

MtnCows93":erd4vdjs said:
heres my theory, when people get behind a tractor, truck, pickup pulling a trailer,etc it doesnt matter how slow or how fast they are going ,they get it in their head they need to pass you! i dont care if your driving a tractor 70mph in a 55 there gonna pass you or bust!

This for sure. We don't have a lot of farm equipment, and what we do we can move back and forth between our places on dirt roads that don't have much traffic. I do however drive a lot of highway miles pulling a stock trailer, and I never cease to be amazed at the number of people that have to pass me, even if I'm running 5 over the speed limit, then get in front of me and slow down. Even worse are the ones that want to pass you but are afraid to. I guess they're afraid they might get pooped or peed on, but it can happen when I'm pulling my aluminum, which has high sides that nothing's coming out of, as well as my bar top that's pretty open (whether there are cattle in there or not). On a two lane they're there but you may not notice them as much, but on the four lane they'll get in the left lane and hang just behind you, but just won't pass. If they only knew that's the worst place they could be if a waste substance came flying out the side of the trailer, or on a more serious note, if a tire would happen to blow out on that side, they're driving right in the bullseye...

Sorry for the rant - just my pet peeve.

whenever i'm hauling.. i turn left into my drive.. i have the hand out the window pointing.. signal on.. going slow...

EVERYTIME someone is behind me.. they try to pass.

just wait.. 20 seconds people. your facebook will wait.

yep! they are in a big hurry to go home and do nothing lol, heres one that gets me, people that drive around for 10 minutes looking for a closer parking space, just walk the extra 50 feet and be happy god gave you a set of legs :)

Well. I survived. I was moving 11 rolls at a time on a tobacco wagon. Top speed about 35. 30 was better. 20 miles one way. No where to let people by. I don't know why there wasn't a half dozen wrecks, the way people were passing me on double yellow lines. Gotta blue jillion hard looks, a few birds. Got to share Jesus with an upset guy at a stop light. All in all a good day. 66 rolls in the barn, and got em for $20 a piece.

I generally try to give room if it's safe and I'm traveling under the speed limit. I don't feel obligated to give way so someone can break the law though..

I have though that maybe some day when I'm retired I might take up loading some fat gassy roly-polys off the oat field. And seeking out the herds of bicycles that plague the back roads here. .. just for a hobby

greybeard":3t5a75en said:
wacocowboy":3t5a75en said:
People don't know how to drive on rural roads with ag equipment.

Let me fix that for you.
People without ag equipment don't know how to drive on rural roads in Texas.

Farm to market roads were built specifically for ag related use, it's why they (all 50,000 miles of them) are designated & called Farm/Ranch to Market roads.
110468695_917aff6b13_m.jpg

Very true.

ddd75":2juhnlh4 said:
whenever i'm hauling.. i turn left into my drive.. i have the hand out the window pointing.. signal on.. going slow...

Same here. Once had a large trailer full of round bales and went to turn and about hit somebody flying around me. Now when I get about 50 yards from the turn I straddle the line ( with nothing else coming of course) until I turn.

MRRherefords":16x9zu79 said:
ddd75":16x9zu79 said:

Same here. Once had a large trailer full of round bales and went to turn and about hit somebody flying around me. Now when I get about 50 yards from the turn I straddle the line ( with nothing else coming of course) until I turn.

When possible, I have my wife stand on the front porch, and tell me if there is anybody behind me. 4' rolls no big deal. 5' and 6', I can't see around.

MRRherefords":1x5hyxoc said:
Now when I get about 50 yards from the turn I straddle the line ( with nothing else coming of course) until I turn.
I thought I was the only one that did that

We've had a people killed here driving tractors on the highway. That's another thing about texting. If you're doing 60 and a tractor doing 25 you'll be on them quick even if you see them in time. Top a hill and see a tractor a mile up. Top the next hill and you're right on them. Somebody said people are too busy to leave in time. A friend of mines daughter just totaled their car because she waited until 20 minutes before she had to be at work to make a 20 minute drive.

If I see a good place to pull over and let folks by I will, but on a lot of these roads there aren't many safe places. Horse shoe curves and one right after another. In some areas the hills and trees are right along the side of the roads with nowhere to get over.

True Grit Farms":2qrqjrx7 said:

I have one school bus driver, out of the FIVE that I'm sometimes stuck behind, that does that if there's five plus cars behind her. I always honk and wave on the way by b/c she doesn't have to and I figure that's really polite. It sure beats the one old hag that speeds up if you try to pass her.

dun":vnx7qfih said:
MRRherefords":vnx7qfih said:
Now when I get about 50 yards from the turn I straddle the line ( with nothing else coming of course) until I turn.

I did that a dozen times yesterday. Hauling manure over to a neighbors hay field. I am only on the road for about 150 yards but with that side slinger manure spreader I can't see behind myself. About 50 yards before my drive I start slowly edging toward the middle to prevent anyone from passing.

Dave":3sykv62h said:
dun":3sykv62h said:
MRRherefords":3sykv62h said:

I did that a dozen times yesterday. Hauling manure over to a neighbors hay field. I am only on the road for about 150 yards but with that side slinger manure spreader I can't see behind myself. About 50 yards before my drive I start slowly edging toward the middle to prevent anyone from passing.
Ever been tempted to turn it on when someone tries to pass?
(or you pass a bicyclist?)

greybeard":2bsnj1l8 said:
Dave":2bsnj1l8 said:
dun":2bsnj1l8 said:

Ever been tempted to turn it on when someone tries to pass?
(or you pass a bicyclist?)

That's what I would do. :nod: I do stuff like that all the time. My favorite is always at the 4 way stops. You can tell the people never look or don't understand how they work. I'll pull out and lay on the horn. Most of them bank on you stopping and letting them go. I just keep going and stay on the horn.

Same thing with people on the phone going down the highway. You can see them weaving all over the road. When I get close I just stay on the horn until I get well past them.

I have honked jingle bells during December going by them when they wont stay in their lane.

Latest posts