Gettin close to tomato planting time

Help Support CattleToday:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
I never had a lick of luck with tomatos till I planted "celebrity" so that's my old stand by.
always plant the latest variety out for the year,but always plant the "celebrity" as backup.
I think I will plant a few "Romas" this year too,I hear they make good hot sauce ?
What about you ? what's you favorite variety ? got any good "mater" planting secrets. :D .................good luck

HAY MAKER":1rlni6cy said:
I never had a lick of luck with tomatos till I planted "celebrity" so that's my old stand by.
always plant the latest variety out for the year,but always plant the "celebrity" as backup.
I think I will plant a few "Romas" this year too,I hear they make good hot sauce ?
What about you ? what's you favorite variety ? got any good "mater" planting secrets. :D .................good luck

Heck Hay Maker we have fresh squash and Maters right now and new potatoes are about ready.

Wife grows the tomatoes and squash it old five gallon buckets I cut a 1 1/4 inch hole in the bottom and the plant is planted upside down and grows up around the bucket. They are hanging in rows in the greenhouse just walk through and pick like fruit. She grows the taters in old protien tubs in the greenhouse as well.

Caustic Burno":3atqmmey said:
HAY MAKER":3atqmmey said:

Heck Hay Maker we have fresh squash and Maters right now and new potatoes are about ready.

Wife grows the tomatoes and squash it old five gallon buckets I cut a 1 1/4 inch hole in the bottom and the plant is planted upside down and grows up around the bucket. They are hanging in rows in the greenhouse just walk through and pick like fruit. She grows the taters in old protien tubs in the greenhouse as well.

That woman of yours must have a green thumb,I thought one year I was'nt putting enough fertilizer on em.........so I fertilized em good ,got the prettiest tallest plants in the county,but no maters :( ...............good luck

Just started my stuff indoors a week ago Saturday, (B/f owns a hydroponics store, so I get the "Employee Discount" on pots and dirt and stuff, LOL!) got baby tomato plants about 3" tall, squash and zucchini going great guns already, had to repot them this afternoon... I bet that's why you're not supposed to start them indoors, 'cause they grow so fast! Hopefully the 5 foot snowdrift over the outside garden spot is melted before they start flowering, lol! Should get some interesting results this year, as I've never had access to all this High grade Hydro nutrient stuff before.
(Yea, we have some pretty interesting customers!)

Besides the "regular tomatos I want do some of those hanging basket types that grow like clumps of grapes.Z

MillIronQH":m7x2604r said:
Besides the "regular tomatos I want do some of those hanging basket types that grow like clumps of grapes.Z
The trouble with those grape tomatoes is when they start getting ripe it takes a lot of time to pick all those little tomatoes.

Fred":1p6r1ou3 said:
MillIronQH":1p6r1ou3 said:
The trouble with those grape tomatoes is when they start getting ripe it takes a lot of time to pick all those little tomatoes.

Naw... That's when me and my buds sit on the deck with a coldbeer and a salt shaker. :lol:

When I was a kid we always had a pretty big garden. When Mama would send me and the Old Man out to get stuff for supper we always went out with a salt shaker in our pocket. The cherry tomatos never made it to the house.Z

I will plant some of those grape tomatos if I can find some,planted my celebrities yesterday,anyone know what the latest variety is being called this year ?
Im gonna try and grow mine in syrup buckets this year,maybe I will get a tomato or two................good luck

HAY MAKER":1qcslmu2 said:
Caustic Burno":1qcslmu2 said:
HAY MAKER":1qcslmu2 said:

That woman of yours must have a green thumb,I thought one year I was'nt putting enough fertilizer on em.........so I fertilized em good ,got the prettiest tallest plants in the county,but no maters :( ...............good luck

I have had the same experience. For some reason, I have had a good couple of years. We put out our maters yesterday. It was almost 90 degrees here. We have had the onions and taters in the ground for a couple of weeks. Then the gas tank on the tiller sprang a leak and we had to order another one. Put us behind.

Caustic, I certainly do admire your wife's gardening abilities. I think I strive to be that way but fall short most of the time.

MillIronQH":2ppu0syy said:
Fred":2ppu0syy said:
MillIronQH":2ppu0syy said:

Naw... That's when me and my buds sit on the deck with a coldbeer and a salt shaker. :lol:

When I was a kid we always had a pretty big garden. When Mama would send me and the Old Man out to get stuff for supper we always went out with a salt shaker in our pocket. The cherry tomatos never made it to the house.Z

I did the same thing. I think we could stay outside for so long in the summer because we didn't have to go in the house for snacks. Green beans off the vine, sweet peas and blackeyed peas out of the pod. Peaches, plums and pears...

I planted Brandywine tomatoes for a couple of years. They are supposed to have won the taste test for tomatoes. When you give them away to people you can tell them they are the best tasting tomato.

I just started my tomatoes this last weekend, cause it will be the end of April before they can go out around here. I always stick with the heirloom varieties, cause they have such a better flavor, I think. They don't bear as many, so you have to have more plants, but you can save your own seed, and each year they are better adjusted to your own area. I love the Brandywines and Cherokee Purple varieties. Happy Gardening!!! DFF

This is really funny that I found your post Haymaker. I was just thinkinig about getting the garden started ion this BEAUTIFUL morning and thought I'd come here and find out the best newest variety of tomatoes to try out. Any hints or tips for south Texas? Thanks!!! :) :) :)

IMG_1046.jpg

Yup,spring has sprung.
IMG_1021.jpg

wishful thinking.
IMG_1029.jpg

Too wet to plow.
IMG_1037.jpg

The old smoke house
IMG_1041.jpg

Black cows doing what they do best.

good luck

Double A Ranch":ujvtc7sp said:
This is really funny that I found your post Haymaker. I was just thinkinig about getting the garden started ion this BEAUTIFUL morning and thought I'd come here and find out the best newest variety of tomatoes to try out. Any hints or tips for south Texas? Thanks!!! :) :) :)

No hints or tips from me,I readily admitt to being a mater growin wannabe,maybe someone will come along and tell us what the latest variety is ?.................good luck
PS what county do yall ranch ?

HAY MAKER":1o0tytcb said:
Double A Ranch":1o0tytcb said:

No hints or tips from me,I readily admitt to being a mater growin wannabe,maybe someone will come along and tell us what the latest variety is ?.................good luck
PS what county do yall ranch ?

Thank you Mr. Haymaker. I was hoping somebody would come along and tell us what to try but I guess not. I'd probably better just forget about it anyway because my better half says that I'd be lucky to be able grow a mesquite. :x :p Just somethinga bout the spring weather always makes me want to try. LOVED your pictures tho. I guess I'd better not tell to much about where we live. A girls got to have her secrets you know. ;-) ;-) ;-)

All womens have their secrets.... lol
As far as tomatoes... I do like the Celebrity too.. but always have great results with the Big Boy variety. ANd I always gotta have my beefsteaks... great with those grilled hamburgers, or bologna sandwiches... yum

Latest posts