german sausage

Help Support CattleToday:

sackshowcattle

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has a recipe for old german sausage. My families recipe was lost over the years and the packing house that made it was sold out of the family years ago and they no longer use the recipe and refuse to tell the family so we can pass it down. It is a pinwheel style that uses pork and beef and has 4 or 5 spices. Dad doesnt rememer since he was only about 12 last time he made it with his dad before he died. Dont know if the recipe changed at all but could have be influenced while they lived in white russia before coming here to flea natzi germany.

sackshowcattle":2hxyzpjf said:
Wondering if anyone has a recipe for old german sausage. My families recipe was lost over the years and the packing house that made it was sold out of the family years ago and they no longer use the recipe and refuse to tell the family so we can pass it down. It is a pinwheel style that uses pork and beef and has 4 or 5 spices. Dad doesnt rememer since he was only about 12 last time he made it with his dad before he died. Dont know if the recipe changed at all but could have be influenced while they lived in white russia before coming here to flea natzi germany.

I just gave my sausage book to my son in Denver. I will ask him if there is a good old country German recipe in there when we talk again.

BTW it's FLEE. not flea

Fresh helps to narrow the field. Germany has over 200 sausages with most of them being in three groups - Mettwurst, Teewurst and Bratwurst with the first two being Rohwursts which are raw sausages. (Roh = raw & wurst = sausage) So this would probably put the sausage over in to some sort of Bratwurst but you said it contained beef. As a rule in the day, bratwurst were to contain veal and pork so if veal is what you meant then its highly likely it was some sort of bratwurst. If beef is what you truly meant then it could push itself maybe toward a Knackwurst which uses chuck roasts and things like that in it. Knacken = means pop and wurst = sausage So this sausage was meant for grilling and pan frying after a quick dip in a water bath or beer bath and when made proper the casing is meant to pop when its finished and allow juices to flow. Being in a pinwheel doesn't really say much about the type sausage since this is totally up to the maker. For cooking purposes, it might be easier to not link the knockwurst since it is so juicy. If your father can remember the texture then this would also be a good thing to key on. For instance, since bratwurst contained veal, it was minced into a coarser grind than knockwurst which is ground into an emulsion similar to a hotdog wiener. These are general rules and its not to say everyone HAD to abide by them but the important thing to understand is the changing little things like the grind, the meat type and/or proportions, the change of a few spices and proportions makes a huge difference on the end product and its name. Of course if your grandfather's last name is Scholtz, there'd be no problem figuring this one out. If your father remember any of these little defining things then we might can narrow it down some more.

Thanks for the help so far. My grandpa made it out of 1000 steers since that's the size he liked to butcher and the had been fed grain and hay. Its about the texture of breakfast sausage links and dad said he's not completely sure but thinks its 1/3 beef to 2/3 pork.

This is a shot in the dark but it does meet a lot of the things you mention. This is an old recipe for a knackwurst. There are countless recipes for this same sausage but the base ingredients are the same just varying quantities. Maybe if the general taste is similar you can tweek it to what he remembers. If the general flavor is not what he remembers then it could be something in the line of Brats and there are countless tweeks to this but their base ingredients are the same as well. Most of the time it is dipped in hot water or beer and sometimes pan fried after this step. It also can be smoked.

2.72 kg. lean pork (coarse ground)
0.64 kg. lean beef (fine ground)
1.18 kg. fat pork (coarse ground)
117.93 gr. Peklosol
45 gr. salt (5 tblspns.)
15.5 gr. black pepper
7 gr. caraway seeds
4.21 gr. (1.5 tspn. garlic powder)

Grind meats seperately then mix everything together and place in an air tight container and keep refrigerated overnight. Stuff the next day.

The poles influenced this same recipe to include the following. Probably not what he will remember but could be worth a go.

4 tblspns. powdered dextrose
1 tblspn. mace
½ tspn. allspice
1 tspn. coriander
2 tblspns. paprika

Thanks a lot Jo. I figured you would come up with a starting point. I'm always like the pics and recipes you give on the sausages and smoked meats. With my families history have always been interested, but the art was lost in the family and its almost impossible to get the better recipes ant techniques from that long ago. Maybe one day it will happen

Its almost like hunting a needle in a hay stack but I think if you narrow it down to the main groups and find the spices you can tweek the rest to find it again - or possilbly make something better. Its those tiny details that make them unique. Good luck.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but my grandparents came from germany and they had a sausage recipe which we still use today.
40 lbs meat (1/2 beef 1/2 pork)
1/2 to 3/4 lb salt ( according to your taste )
1/2 lb ground coriander
1/2 lb brown sugar
3 tbsp black pepper
We use some as fresh and we also smoke some.

Latest posts