Gentlest Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

The gentlest bull I have ever had is a watusi that I have now. 6 years old and weighs around 1500 lbs. He has a monster set of horns, so you have to be careful because he can accidently bump you. He loves to have you scratch the front of his head.

Perhaps I should have said "Docile"

My Angus bull is very docile - except when he's been breeding then watch out. He don't mind charging to remind you she's his.

Some friends came over and helped us catch up some babies by walking into the herd and throwing a loop. My friend threw a loop, missed and was gathering up his rope. He looked around and that bull was standing right beside him not giving him the time of day. My friend ran out of there saying "You didn't tell me your bull was in there!" After a few seconds, he said, "Now that is one gentle bull."

Dusty Britches said:
Perhaps I should have said "Docile"

My Angus bull is very docile - except when he's been breeding then watch out. He don't mind charging to remind you she's his.
quote]

It doesn't matter if my bulls had a dozen cows "in". If he charges me he his one dead critter. I sure wouldn't put up with that. Any bull that will do that needs to hauled.

Gentlest-even tho our Longhorn and Watusi are fed breeder cubes by hand on a nightly bases I would have to agree with
TxCoUntryb0y, the Brahama! A friend had a bull, everytime he saw his owner coming into the pasture he would roll over on his back to have his belly scrached! Quite a sight!

PLORTIZ1955":xtgjpzky said:
A friend had a bull, everytime he saw his owner coming into the pasture he would roll over on his back to have his belly scrached! Quite a sight!

No Kidding? Does it fetch too?

If I remember correctly he tried to teach him to fetch with cubes, but for some strange reason he could never get him to bring them back! :lol:

Muratic":1ulim0ru said:
PLORTIZ1955":1ulim0ru said:
A friend had a bull, everytime he saw his owner coming into the pasture he would roll over on his back to have his belly scrached! Quite a sight!

No Kidding? Does it fetch too?

I think you missed the sarcasium in Muratic's comment.

Next time, Muratic, use this smiley :roll: Might help folks get your point quicker

LOL

Cert

I think you missed the sarcasium in PLORTIZ1955's comment
Using a range cube for fetch with a cow would be like using a steak with a dog, bet he wouldnt bring the steak back either :lol:

MD

Thanks MD,

Mama always said you catch more flies with honey, but in this case I would say Cert just likes to dish out alot of Bull #. So thanks for your explaination it looks like it was much needed.
PLO

My question is under what circumstances is he gentle? I have had bulls that out in the pasture that would come up to me, you could scratch on the head, pat him on the side, probably put a kid on his back (if I was a nutcase), and feed him range cubes or even corn out of my hand. The same bull could be a 14 carrott nut case in a chute for his vaccinations and Ivomec shot (you got to love the pouron). I have had so many problems with bulls acting the fool at any kind of roundup that if they are with the cows I give them 10 pounds of feed and park them in their own pen before I sort the first cow anywhere. I have also had stand offish bulls that I never touched that never balked or flinched in a chute.

South Devon bulls are typically very calm - just like any breed, you could find one that isn't.

You folks with these "gentle bulls"...better be careful. History books are full of a.... "gentle bull".... becoming cantankerous over some little thing and swing that head producing a back or hip replacement. Not fun. A cow reaching early estrus...before any outward signs.... can be a trigger.

We are happy when we can do the normal things handling cows and the bulls stay out of the way. While we have the pets... even cows are worrisome at times...don't think I want a pet bull....just tolerable ones.

Mine are all gentle.

They tend to stay that way at -320.

mtnman

mtnman":374dswjs said:
Mine are all gentle.

They tend to stay that way at -320.

mtnman

I was thinking the same thing. I have a coffee can full sitting right here next to the computer. But since the straws are empty I guess they would now be classified as beef (dead bulls)

dun

We have a Red Angus Bull in our showstring out of Lodi Prince 2632, he is halterbroke, but i can walk out there and lay onn his back and scratch him all over, he has only got fed up once, last november at a fall show, he threw a little tantrum on the way to the washrack, and raised his head up and started shaking it and jumping around, he was fine though, just got spooked.

as long as u have a calm herd anything new that comes will eventualy settle down also, same thing goes if u have a crazy herd

thats my 2 cents

I go to the Missouri State Fair every year, it is only about 30 miles from my home. One person who exhibits a bull there has the gentlest bull. It is a Beefalo (?sp?). You can ride him, pet him, and lay beside him. This bull is very gentle, he has been that way since birth, or at least that is what they tell us. He hasn't ever hurt anyone...yet!

La Donna :hat: