Genetic Purity

Help Support CattleToday:

the inferior continental breeds
Not nice :roll:
The majority of black PB Simmentals are 92% PURE Simmental (that means some are more - some are less). If you think 8% of "other" breeds can have that much affect on the outcome of that animal, you REALLY are proud of your breed's genetic influence. :D Black hide is a HIGHLY heritable trait being a dominant gene.
At least the American made Simmental breed does admit that there is "other" breeds in the makeup of the modern Simmental Purebred. I wonder what % of PURE Angus is in the Angus breed as a whole. That is what the original post was talking about - I think.
I can remember when the Angus breed used to run the "elephant" ads. They quit when the Angus bulls at the fairs were TALLER than any other breed there (maybe a "little Chi" influence??).
Top national Angus breeders that I know, just snicker when anything is mentioned about "other" genes making a rapid change in the angus cattle. they seem to be very aware of what went on - or does go on - who knows.

It's something that a lot of people snicker about wondering about purity. Like I mentioned I generally try to stay away from certain genetics as I don't want that in the background.

I fear that we (Angus breed) will be to cocky for the very reason I previously stated. Beef is what we are raising.

SEC

I agree beef is the #1 issue we as cattlemen have to address. The thing that the other breeds (not angus) have to realise and promote is the advantages of their breed, not try to copy another. A black hide does not make the best. What has done that for angus is excellent promotion and the ability to be see the future trends and take advantage of them first. Odviously CHB is gaining ground with a good product. The other branded products also seem to be catching on but at slower pace. It takes alot of time and effort to make these programs work but they can and will. Someone is always going to be first and right now it angus.

The "black hided" issue is based on economics. Feeders & packers pay more for black hides due to the CAB Program & Japan paying more for them - $$$.
Plus, it is perceived - if they have black hide, they will grade better. Whether true or not is not the issue - it brings more $$$.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":kr4bjpov said:
The "black hided" issue is based on economics. Feeders & packers pay more for black hides due to the CAB Program & Japan paying more for them - $$$.
Plus, it is perceived - if they have black hide, they will grade better. Whether true or not is not the issue - it brings more $$$.

This is exactly the reason I am gonna run an Angus bull on my Hereford cows this year.

I need money...they want black :cboy:

Saltydawg, that is exactly the reason the CAB program was started, to increase the demand for Angus bulls. Its working!

We can all be friendly and talk about getting people to eat beef, but make no mistake, the breeds are very much in competition with each other for market share. Angus have done very welll; because of their promotion, yes partly, but all the promotion in the world has little affect if the quality isn't there!

SEC, I am curious why you didn't mention Lonestar or his sons, Mackenzie, Dan Patch , Darkstar and Magic. Most people don't like to see them in a pedigree. In your opinion,were these bulls pure but just too big.

Also, I was unaware that New Trend or Krugerrand were taboo in the eyes of some. Why? What have you heard?

Saltydawg":240yr11k said:
This is exactly the reason I am gonna run an Angus bull on my Hereford cows this year.

I need money...they want black :cboy:

Me too. I prefer red because the color breeds true no matter if I'm using a red angus or a hereford, but the black calves and replacement heifers bring more around here.

Seth, I left Lonestar and his sons out of the mix, as they are a given. That's an assumption for me and maybe not for others. But there is a host of other bulls, Warrant, some more R&J bulls it's really quite a list. Haven't had a smoke yet this AM so I haven't got my brain working yet. New Trend was considered impure due to Schearbrook SHoshone who's dam was rumoured to be Holstein cross. Would explain the white things maybe, sure ain't going to make up story's attacking another breeders integrity.

The Krugerrand bit comes through Stacker, although genetically he is clean in fact nice pedigree. There is question regarding Stacker and his kind and make up. Tight, hard, extremely lean really different. That might have been the guys personal preference. The cow side, Merle 2031. Her family contains some bulls in their which I believe were dwarf carriers, Prince Sunbeam and ( can't find my Tom Burke book) but I think the other bull they questioned was Emulous Bob of K Pride?

By the time these guys have shot holes in the current bulls there is much left to use.

Oh yeah a host of Hoff Bulls as well.

They use plenty of Wye breeding and lots of 6807, EXT, Emulation 31 and RR Rito 707, Shoshone Viking GD 60, Prince of Malpas and on and on.

That was part of the problem, but these guys linebreed all of their cattle. They indicated that you would be terrified at what was coming out of these cattle they won't use when you start linebreeding them.

Scurs, horns, 2 heads. (just kidding), plus other stuff that indicated they were in the wrong set of genetics. That they figurered it was of no benefit to even talk about it.

Most folks that run some Continental in their cows know that when you add Angus to the mix, you get way more CAB than with straight Angus.

I like CAB, it makes the Continentals look great when crossed with Angus.

ContinentalXAngus cross make at least 2X as much CAB on average as straight Angus.

I'm glad to know that that good CAB taste is coming from the Continental.

mtnman

mtnman":mlmp23m5 said:
Most folks that run some Continental in their cows know that when you add Angus to the mix, you get way more CAB than with straight Angus.

I like CAB, it makes the Continentals look great when crossed with Angus.

ContinentalXAngus cross make at least 2X as much CAB on average as straight Angus.

I'm glad to know that that good CAB taste is coming from the Continental.

mtnman
Don't know where you are getting that info, but I can't say I disagree (or at least I WANT to think that's true). I know purebred Simmentals are also passing the grade for CAB.
Wonder why Frankie isn't commenting on the "mixed blood" in the Angus herds??? :p

Latest posts