Genetic defect testing

Help Support CattleToday:

Amo

Reaction score
Chambers, NE (125 miles W. of Souix City IA or 110
Hey there. Considering a bull that has a lot of carrier stuff in it's pedigree. It's from a small seed stock operation. Bull is deceased. Has had a snp 50K test. It really doesn't say it's caf, ddf, etc at the top by registration numbers. If it had been tested it would say so.

Sire rito revenue 5M2 says it's clean. On the bottom side the cow is free of ca and DD. It has Whitman and all around in the cow.

Guess I'm thinking this bull is clean due to parentage. If that's the case, wouldn't it say so where it normally does? It doesn't say if it's a carrier, free, or anything. With that many dirty bulls in the pedigree, I'd like to know what's what.

I'd say based on the pedigree that the bull is clean. That being said, it might be smart to test all of his offspring that would be used for breeding just as a precaution.

Another question might be why you want to use this bull. Was he popular with commercial producers or have you seen his offspring? It appears he only had 7 calves registered with any sort of data submitted. A bit unproven for my tastes from a purebred/seedstock perspective.

Another question might be why you want to use this bull. Was he popular with commercial producers or have you seen his offspring? It appears he only had 7 calves registered with any sort of data submitted. A bit unproven for my tastes from a purebred/seedstock perspective.

They're always more famous with less data or if they are are old and dead! :lol2:

Ebenezer said:

They're always more famous with less data or if they are are old and dead! :lol2:

Thanks for the insight on clean/dirty. I'm curious as to how you figured out how many progeny? Your question is a valid one.

Well the purchaser is a reputable breeder whom I respect. For what they paid on this guy's small production sale, he must have been a decent bull. I like the bulls numbers and I like a lot of the sires in his pedigree. Purchaser sold some sons in their production sale. According to the guy I'm dealing with, those son's sold well. Guy I'm dealing with says he made good daughters. Yes, I know sales pitch!

Guess bulls back legs slipped on a rubber matt as he walked off the trailer when delivered. They were using him as clean up and he got to where he couldn't naturally service, so breeder took him back and collected him somehow.....ya I know, but it's the story I got.

I'm going to use him on heifers. So if it's a live calf that looks like crap, I'm not out much for the price that he's asking.

Gotta also consider that unless parentage is confirmed by DNA test... what's on the paper may or may not be what's actually walking the pasture... like 3F Epic 431... and, seems like Limestone Darkhorse turned out not to be what he was originally thought to be... cows/heifers switched calves at birth, and the breeders were unaware until DNA tests came back when he went to stud, and didn't match what they thought he was.

If I remember it correctly, when you look at an individual's pedigree on the American Angus Association website and the EPD portion of the page, there are usually four numbers stacked inside a box for a given trait. So, for example, on the bull you are asking about, under the BW (birth weight EPD), the numbers are +1.2, .58, 50% and 7. The 7 is the total number of offspring that have been registered for that bull and, I BELIEVE, have had AHIR (Angus Herd Improvement Records) data submitted. So, as of yesterday, he has had only 7 purebred registered calves recorded with the association. But, if you hit the link for his sire, you'll see that he has had 1,889 calves recorded. If you have a newborn bull calf and register it, you will see that there is no number listed for offspring.