preg testing

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Reaction score
Is there any other way to preg check a cow beside sleeving? Like blood test, urine test?
Reason I ask is I have loaned one of my bulls to a neighbor that has a first calf heifer that needed to get bred back.
He has been with her about 45 days now.
One of the local vets said he only does the palpitation after 2 or 3 months.

Ultrasound is the best if someone close to you has one. If you wait until 55 days up to about 100 days they will also tell you the sex of the calf. You can check as early as 28 days but knowing the timing of service would be tricky on natural service.

pricefarm":3c5b6bk3 said:
slick4591":3c5b6bk3 said:
BioPryn

All I ever use is a blood tube and needle/syringe.

Have you ever had one that checked pregnant but wasn't ?

I had one that checked pregnant via BioPryn. About a month later she came into heat. I assume it was early embryonic death. Not uncommon. Could have been an embryonic defect.

I have had one test open that was bred. She was only about a month or so, so right on their 28 day requirement.

They also sent back me the results on one that was labeled "weak pregnant". I didn't know what that was and the tech said that it is usually from early embryonic death or abortion (the same?) and was most likely open. He was right, she was open when I checked her again a few weeks later.

Statefan62":3a88xize said:
Besides the tubes and needles what's it cost to run the tests?

It comes as a kit with individual needles and vacuum tube. You draw the blood from the caudal vein on the underside of the tail.

For 10 tests the cost is $26 inclusive of materials and testing.

Thanks for all the replies. i'll mention it to my neighbor. most likely they will do the 9 month pregnancy test and if they don't have a calf it will be my bulls fault...lol.
Last year i had another neighbor who has 3 cows and needed a bull so i let him borrow one of mine.....which was fine because I needed a place to put him so he wouldn't breed some heifers I had kept over and now 9 or 10 months later guess what....no calves. I don't remember exactly how long he was with them ....a month maybe two. I heard thru another neighbor that he was complaining of my bull eating all his hay up, so i just brought him home. I suggested the only way to know for sure is to have a vet preg check them. He has someone elses bull in with them now. i think he has old cows that may not breed or just getting poor nutrition.

Randi":114wrjp4 said:
I'd get him tested, before you put him out with your cow, in case there is a problem with him.

I sold him after that. All my cows were bred that year by him. The bull the neighbor has now is a different bull.

Bright Raven said:
Statefan62 said:

It comes as a kit with individual needles and vacuum tube. You draw the blood from the caudal vein on the underside of the tail.

Does just confirm pregnancy or will it give you how many days along like ultrasound does?

Statefan62 said:
Bright Raven said:
Statefan62 said:

Does just confirm pregnancy or will it give you how many days along like ultrasound does?

It uses proteins to indicate pregnancy. Does not provide additional information.