Testing Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

crossbredcalves

Reaction score
Do you test your mature bulls yearly or just when you have a problem? I had a cow come up open. I checked her this week after all her herd mates had calved and she didn't look any closer. The bull has been running with a different group for four months. One cow in that group was bulling last week even though she should have cycled at least a couple times since he has been there. Just wanting some input from others experience.

We test every year before we take to pasture. EVERY ONE. You'd be surprised how many new bull purchases we get on a whim when people test theirs also. Sure, if you run 200 cows with 6 bulls that you've already AI'd, you're probably good. But if you send one bull out to cover 30 girls and he can't get it done, you lost a bunch of money.

I have had more problem with bulls losing interest than I have had from a bad test but in your case it sounds like a problem with the cow(s). Some older cows just quit cycling and some younger cows are just slow to start back.

Every bull, every year. We will find one or two big, mature bulls shooting blanks or only half loaded every time you test. Those big bulls will keep a younger one with a full load from getting a cow bred.

It's not even a question here. Every bull every year. I will even check some bulls twice a year. One before spring turn out, and one before fall.
Not worth the risk for 35$.
Pretty much have one or 2 test bad every year.

I know guys that leave their bulls out year round, and haven't had them checked since they were yearlings. I wouldn't be able to sleep, especially on one bull pastures

T & B farms said:
It's not even a question here. Every bull every year. I will even check some bulls twice a year. One before spring turn out, and one before fall.

I know guys that leave their bulls out year round, and haven't had them checked since they were yearlings. I wouldn't be able to sleep, especially on one bull pastures

I run 3 and sometimes 4.

T & B farms said:

Hadn't even thought about fall but IF that bull gets chosen to service more girls in the fall herd, we test it then also.

30 bucks and a trailer ride is pretty cheap insurance. Although with the OP's case only having one cow in each group come up open, could be more of a cow problem.

Every bull prior to turnout, then herd check to make sure you don't see many recycle. Like many have stated cheap insurance, testing is first line of defense good record keeping is a close second.

Gizmom

Check them a few weeks out of turn out in case there is a surprise or I can get one of them re tested before turn out . I thought my older bull was on the down hill side of things after the way he tested last year then this year he tested 95%. Kinda funny how things work out. No brainer decision to get them tested yearly.

Latest posts