General Lee

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC":3h42b4du said:
I love American history, especially military history and The Civil War. I've come to believe that Lee was one of the greatest military leaders of all time, with Jackson not far behind. The North had the resources and manpower but the South had better leadership, IMO. Grant was pretty darned good but he was no Lee.
Absolutely.....and I'm sure even Grant couldn't argue against that.

I have tremendous respect and admiration for General Lee, in my mind a true military genius. As I study history it's my impression that Grant and Lee had great respect for each other, somewhat like the respect Patton and Rommel had . The respect that great strategist and military historians have for each other.

I think General Lee had a vision of what this country could be unlike anyone else in history. He held the fate of the United States in his hands. He was truly the first man to begin to rebuild this country and make it the greatest nation on earth, that's what great leadership is.

Was there a holiday on Monday? I must have missed it. We only would take a holiday for great patriots, I would welcome a holiday for General Lee.

Larry

MLK Day honors Dr. King. He should be honored in my opinion. However the sad thing is certain groups of Americans have twisted what his "Dream" was. He struggled for Freedom for all People, he did NOT want one group more free than another. He also did not want folks to think that they were owed something because 150 years ago there ancestors were owned by another's ancestors. He did not want to fight the Civil war all over again.

General Lee was by far the better tacticain then Grant. He was a very honorable man and dedicated to his troops. Jackson was his best general who had the courage to carry out his orders and the ability to flex to the situation on the battle field. Had he not died our nation would be two nations. The command structure of the south was riddled with poor leadership. When that is coupled with supply lines and depots not being able to provide the necessiteis of war for an army then the outcome is disaster. An army needs food, medicine, clothing, weapons, amunition and believe it or not shoes are crucial to the success or failure of any armed force.

Losing Jackson and insufficient supply cost the war for the South.

kenny thomas":3qto649g said:
ALACOWMAN":3qto649g said:
kenny thomas":3qto649g said:
Virginia does have a Holiday for him and Andrew Jackson combined. We honored them last Friday.
did ya'll get the day off like folks did monday?? for marching luther king day
:cowboy:

Yes, we got off Friday for Lee/Jackson day and also on Monday for the other guy.

State employee! Must be nice, we had to work both.

"....... 50 stars because there are now 50 states...."

Didn't his royal highness decree a while back that there were now 57 states?? :lol2:

jw":vtm1mkt2 said:
Chrisy,

While the subject is on the Confederate flag, you are correct on your information on the American flag. The red is representative of the blood shed for the country, the white is for the purity of the country and I do not remember what the blue is representing. Perhaps someone will tell us that remembers.
The bule represents the union. The Union Jack is the stars on a field of blue.

I don't have as near as much respect for Grant. Grant was just an alcoholic that stopped at nothing. That is why he was nicknamed Unconditional Surrender Grant, I personally don't think he was near the strategist, plus his presidency was a scandulous joke. Lee almost took Lincoln's proposal to lead the Union army but Virginia suceded around a week later and he couldn't go against his state. If McClellan hadn't been put in charge of the Union army in the beginning, I don't think the war would have lasted as long as it did. Sherman believed everyone was underestimating the war and he was right.

I HIGHLY recommend everyone that is interested in knowing more about the Civil War watch Ken Burn's documentary. By far the best work covering the Civil War ever created.

jw":1a6gigpf said:
Chrisy,

While the subject is on the Confederate flag, you are correct on your information on the American flag. The red is representative of the blood shed for the country, the white is for the purity of the country and I do not remember what the blue is representing. Perhaps someone will tell us that remembers.

Here's what I was taught at a young age:

Red = Valor
White = Purity
Blue = Justice

But if you want to get technical, there has never been a legal or official definition for what the colors represent, so you're liable to get a number of different answers.

Santas and Duhram Reds":zu6h3q7u said:
I don't have as near as much respect for Grant. Grant was just an alcoholic that stopped at nothing. That is why he was nicknamed Unconditional Surrender Grant, I personally don't think he was near the strategist, plus his presidency was a scandulous joke. Lee almost took Lincoln's proposal to lead the Union army but Virginia suceded around a week later and he couldn't go against his state. If McClellan hadn't been put in charge of the Union army in the beginning, I don't think the war would have lasted as long as it did. Sherman believed everyone was underestimating the war and he was right.

I HIGHLY recommend everyone that is interested in knowing more about the Civil War watch Ken Burn's documentary. By far the best work covering the Civil War ever created.

As a tactician, Grant wasn't even close to Lee, but don't sell him short. He wasn't afraid to go against common wisdom if he felt the time was right to go on the offensive. At one point during the Vickburg Campaign, he split his army and attacked in two directions. This was unheard of at the time, and still frowned upon today, but it worked. This sped up the fall of Vicksburg which gave the North complete control of the Mississippi and was the beginning of the end for the South.

You're right about McClellan. He was reluctant to do battle and Lincoln became increasingly frustrated with him. Grant, on the other hand, knew that his job was to engage the enemy and defeat him, and he wasn't afraid to do so. That's how wars are won and that's what generals are supposed to do.

As for Grant's presidency, that has nothing to do with his competence as a general, in my opinion.

hillbillycwo":1oo2w81n said:
Losing Jackson and insufficient supply cost the war for the South.

Absolutely, logistics lost the war for the south. The industrial factories in the north had hastened the development of the railroads. Giving the north a great advantage, that hasn't changed much until recent times.

1982vett":33w81h0k said:
jw":33w81h0k said:
Chrisy,

Our flag offically is only refered to as 'the Union Jack' when it is flying on a Ship or Boat other wise it is the 'Union Flag UK'.

chrisy":1fprglht said:
1982vett":1fprglht said:
jw":1fprglht said:
Chrisy,

Our flag offically is only refered to as 'the Union Jack' when it is flying on a Ship or Boat other wise it is the 'Union Flag UK'.

That you Chrisy :!: I wasn't sure how Britains flag got into this :lol:

Flag symbolism and flag etiquette are surprisingly detailed.
25 yrs or more ago the AM radio talk show out of Louisville, KY had a semi-regular guest in the person of a veteran who learned every proper way to treat the flag. I'm a little dull, but I found the guy fascinating.
A year ago I rescued a flag from the road ditch and hung it on the wall in my office. Field of stars to the flags right as per code.
It's a little grease stained. Likely it hung on a Ram 250 Cummins and caught some soot. I think etiquette requires me to take it to an official cremation because of the dirt, but I'm not sure. She's not frayed, just looks like a diesel mechanic's coveralls.

Hey John, neither do I know, I saw the words 'Union Jack' and it sprang to mind as I have only ever heard our flag referred to as the 'U. Jack'......If I was you I would fly that flag with pride, it has it's battle scars but still it looks in good condition without any frays, could it be cleaned? if you want it to look a bit better.
As for flying the flag in the upright position it is quite easy with your flag, as I can't say how many times I've seen ours upside down, thick white stripe top next to the flag pole. I am told if the flag flies upside down it denotes distress, need help.

kenny thomas":2jej83g3 said:
Virginia does have a Holiday for him and Andrew Jackson combined. We honored them last Friday.

Not to burst your bubble,but Lee-Jackson day is for Robert E Lee and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. I am happy that you at least know that it exists!

BC

BrownCow":k0onsivh said:
kenny thomas":k0onsivh said:

Not to burst your bubble,but Lee-Jackson day is for Robert E Lee and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. I am happy that you at least know that it exists! BC
im not '''andrew"" jackson was a @&%%$###%&

There was a whole lot of difference between Robert E. and A Old Hickory... You might recall That Andrew Jackson was president when South Carolina tried to leave the Union the frist time...And that did not work out so well for them..

Latest posts