GelbviehXangus heifers good or bad? Hmmm

Help Support CattleToday:

ZMT

Reaction score
I am planning on purchasing some gelbvieh x angus heifers to to begin building my herd, I've done my research and I have some background in cattle and to me the cross seems to be the most economical from my standpoint i would of course like to wean a 600 lb calf using as little inputs for maintainence of a cow as possible as far as feed once these heifers get older, I am located in montana. I received some flack from my family about using gelbvieh but I am pretty confident, so I just wanted to hear some of your opinions of what you think good choice or what! Thanks so much!

That is an excellent choice. That is one of the better crosses in my opinion. I regularly post pictures of my Gelbvieh and Balancer cattle on here if you want to do a little searching. With proper management and decent forage you should have no trouble getting 600 lb weaning weights. I highly recommend that cross.......but of course I am a bit biased as well :mrgreen:

HOSS":ipke3gwc said:
That is an excellent choice. That is one of the better crosses in my opinion. I regularly post pictures of my Gelbvieh and Balancer cattle on here if you want to do a little searching. With proper management and decent forage you should have no trouble getting 600 lb weaning weights. I highly recommend that cross.......but of course I am a bit biased as well :mrgreen:
As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew you'd be here Hoss!!
Here's a link to one of Hoss' posts with pics:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83212&start=15

Haha finally someone agrees with me!! Thanks Hoss I appreciate the input, I think I will check some of your pics out. I'm excited to get started.

Some Gelbvieh /Angus crosses..they are called Balancers this should give you a better idea of what they can do. I think you are on the right track. You just need to find some good heifers and stick a calving ease Angus or Balancer bull on them!

Check out the brown calf to the right of the bull. Wait till you see him in 3 months

A balancer bull from last years calves. He weaned at 765lbs and his yearling was right at 1200

Gosh those look good. Yes I have made some contacts and am getting some from a pretty good breeder in Canada. But you kind of brought me to another question. I am planning on breeding these heifers to a calving ease angus bull but would it be more of an advantage to go with a balancer bull? I might be wrong but isn't a balancer just basically a commercial animal that has a documented breeding history?

ZMT":3fgjtl2t said:
Gosh those look good. Yes I have made some contacts and am getting some from a pretty good breeder in Canada. But you kind of brought me to another question. I am planning on breeding these heifers to a calving ease angus bull but would it be more of an advantage to go with a balancer bull? I might be wrong but isn't a balancer just basically a commercial animal that has a documented breeding history?

Balancers are registered by the Gelbvieh Assn, they can be anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 Gelbvieh. If it was me I would look for a calving ease Balancer bull.

I'm surprised how big they wean. She looks good, nice long legs and good body. You're from Colorado probably some pretty harsh winters like here, they are pretty efficient in turning forage into gain aren't they? And good mommas.

ZMT":o9fqozn2 said:
I'm surprised how big they wean. She looks good, nice long legs and good body. You're from Colorado probably some pretty harsh winters like here, they are pretty efficient in turning forage into gain aren't they? And good mommas.

They do just fine in our winters.

The only thing we do to help them is to segregate the first calvers and feed them a little better quality hay, post partum, so that they breed back on time.

That means ALL the heifers not just the balancers.

Thanks for the information. I will get some pics posted once I purchase some and you all can let me know how I did haha.

I am now running a meat wagon Balancer bull. A couple folks asked me where to get a "Black Angus" bull like that... :lol: I really like him.
I have purchased a couple Balancer heifers previously. They raise good calves but seem to be a little bigger, and have more udder problems, than straight Angus.

ZMT":3v76zo6s said:
ZMT, you might also consider buying some purebred Gelbvieh heifers and breeding them to a low BW Angus bull. You will get a nice 50/50 Balancer calf and you can retain any Balancer heifers that you get. This gives you the option of going back on the cows with a purebred Gelbvieh bull to make more purebreds which can then be bred to an Angus bull. If you get a good mix of purebreds and Balancers you double up your options. My preference on Balancers is that they are at least 50% Gelbvieh or higher.

Hoss, That's actually really a good idea. Something new to learn everyday. The only problem is affording to get some purebred gelbvieh. I'm a broke college kid haha. But yes I really like that idea and I have money saved. I'm learning to a.i. So I can make using a bull more affordable.

ZMT":3lr83lx9 said:
Hoss, That's actually really a good idea. Something new to learn everyday. The only problem is affording to get some purebred gelbvieh. I'm a broke college kid haha. But yes I really like that idea and I have money saved. I'm learning to a.i. So I can make using a bull more affordable.

I you wanted to get some purebreds you could buy 1 or 2 less heifers and be able to afford more $ for each purebred. You would have less in numbers but expanded options.

Hey hoss, I have a quick question if you breed a angus bull or gelbvieh balancer to a pure bred gelbvieh cow, can you register the calf as a balancer or how do you distinguish commercial gelbvieh from registered if they're balancers?

ZMT":jssh5stw said:
Hey hoss, I have a quick question if you breed a angus bull or gelbvieh balancer to a pure bred gelbvieh cow, can you register the calf as a balancer or how do you distinguish commercial gelbvieh from registered if they're balancers?
Only if the sire and dam are both registered. You can breed a registered angus bull or registered balancer bull to a registered gelbvieh cow and register the calf with the American Gelbvieh Association.

Alright that make sense now. So if you bred a registered angus cow to registered gelbvieh bull or balancer you could also register the calf, right? I got my heifers picked out and I'm picking them up in a couple months. I'll have to takes some pictures.

ZMT":h604qm9k said:
Alright that make sense now. So if you bred a registered angus cow to registered gelbvieh bull or balancer you could also register the calf, right? I got my heifers picked out and I'm picking them up in a couple months. I'll have to takes some pictures.
Yep that is right. I prefer the 50% to 75% Gelbvieh balancers. I breed my 50% Balancer cows to either 50% Balancer bull or to a purebred Gelbvieh bull.

Looking forward to the pics!

Latest posts