Gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

My grandpa ran a simmi bull for a couple years and got a lot of rat tails. Barn knocks rat tails. He kept some heifers and they were hard keepers, as a matter of fact every simmi I have seen around here has been a hard keeper. But could have been some bad bloodlines around here. Simmis are dead here but simangus is starting to get popular.

UG":15a5o7j1 said:
circlew,

If carcass traits are important to you, I would encourage you to check out the Carolina Fortune cattle. Fortune semen is available from ABS, and he has been one of the heaviest used AI Gelbvieh bulls the past several years so sons and grandsons should be relatively easy to find. The Fortune cattle generally handle fescue well, which is another benefit, and the daughters are fertile and stay in the herd for many years.

If you're more interested in pounds at weaning, you may want to consider Bennett Ideal or Bennett Landmark. Both bulls sire calves with good growth and still produce better than average carcass cattle. However, I haven't had good luck keeping the Ideal daughters in production for many years. Seems that most of them fail to breed back on time.

A bull that intrigues me is called Bruce Almighty. His sons have performed well at Midland Bull Test in MT, in both rate of gain and feed efficiency.

Finally I would encourage you to take a look at KHR 47R. I saw several sons of 47R last spring and they were very thick bulls with plenty of capacity. I hear that his first daughters have nice teats and udders as well. Semen on this bull is available from Ronald Rogers in Missouri.

All good bulls UG. A person can't go wrong with any of those choices. I have been using Atlas 101N (see bullbarn) in my A.I. program and I have gotten some jaw dropper calves. If you want hind quarter and guts Atlas will stack it on. He won't add to rib but he won't take it off either. Semen is reasonable. I think 3way has an Atlas female he really likes.

pk1":17mucx3f said:
Red Bull Breeder":17mucx3f said:
Are we having fun yet??

Here is some drooling material http://www.devlan.co.za/Photo%20Album.htm

You talk the talk pretty well you just don't walk the walk.............

Limo Bull. RUNL Stetson 850S thoughts?
by pk1 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:07 am

RUNL Stetson 850S, Has anyone used this bull? If so how would you rate him? No limo bashing please..

Latest posts